Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So the last time I changed oil was in December- I used regular 5W-30- right before I drove to Guadalajara- that was about 3200 miles round trip- done in about 4 days .
I came back to Los Angeles- and continued my daily drives in LA rush hour traffic. Finally - Change oil light came on last week- (I dont have DIC)- 11,039 miles after Id changed oil. So I changed the oil- and saved a sample for an analysis.
During those 11K miles I did not add any make up oil.
When I drained the oil- I removed about 6.3 quarts.
During this time I have also kept an eye on the antifreeze. Since 111,000 miles- when I changed the thermostat... when cold- the antifreeze sits right at the cold line. so no antifreeze lost.
I got back my analysis- posted below. It also includes results for the sample I took at 104,000.
Note that wear is excellent.
They did note that silicon and potassium were a bit high--- but since my antifreeze level has not dropped--- its most likely due to the oil I used last time ( I cant recall which brand I used- Quaker State Maybe, Valvoline?)
Since I asked about the TBN- they do recommend going 12,000 miles next time.
The pics should also be in my gallery. (Im working on making the image a little bigger). Not sure why trailvoys version appears smaller than the one hosted by my ISP.

oil sample I sent in and filter wrench I use for the filter

sample and the mailing container-- and paperwork I sent in.
Also- the oil I put in for this fill. Regular Valvoline 5W-30.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Note my silicon levels are a bit higher than the last analysis.
This time I am running FRAM air filter.
The other analysis I was using an AC DELCO filter.

Elements are quantified in the oil at part per million levels (PPM). This list shows the most common sources of the elements in a gasoline or diesel engine oil.

Aluminum: Pistons, bearings, cases (heads & blocks).
Chromium: Rings, a trace element in steel.
Iron: Cylinders, rotating shafts, the valve train, and any steel part sharing the oil.
Copper: Brass or bronze parts, copper bushings, bearings, oil coolers, also an additive in some gasoline engine oils.
Lead: Bearings.
Tin: Bearings, bronze parts, piston coatings.
Molybdenum: Anti-wear additive, coating on some new rings
(washes off as break-in occurs).
Nickel: Trace element in steel.
Manganese: Trace element, additive in gasoline.
Silver: Trace element.
Titanium: Trace element.
Potassium: Antifreeze inhibitor, additive in some oil types.
Boron: Detergent/dispersant additive, antifreeze inhibitors.
Silicon: Airborne dirt, sealers, gaskets, antifreeze inhibitors.
Sodium: Antifreeze inhibitors, additive in some gasoline engine oils.
Calcium: Detergent/dispersant additive.
Magnesium: Detergent/dispersant additive.
Phosphorus: Anti-wear additive.
Zinc: Anti-wear additive.
Barium: Detergent/dispersant additive.

Physical properties: Viscosity, flashpoint, % fuel and antifreeze, % water and insolubles are all measured in gasoline and diesel engine oils. If fuel is present in the oil, the viscosity and flashpoint will often be lower than what was stated in the "Should be" line. Insolubles are solid material that is centrifuged out of the oil. They are typically free carbon from the oxidation of the oil itself, along with blow-by past the rings.

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
I love your oil analysis threads Roberto :thumbsup: I find it a great read and good support for Dino oil and GM engineering of the OLM.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
You also burned a lot of Mexican fuel and I wonder if that added to some of the numbers.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HMMMMM... very good point about the mexican fuel...
Used to be that youd hear horror stories of mexican fuel....
But I saw/felt no engine power loss. And actually got pretty good MPG considering I was so loaded and that we were doing I think 75 most of the way....I think headed down-I was in the 19-21 MPG range....
I think the mexican gas has come a long way- I believe theyve also cut out use of leaded gas.
But yeah- their could be a little extra something in mexican gasoline.
hard to tell in this pic--- but the rear end was low to the ground. you can see that the muffler was pretty low. I measures rear before and after I loaded all the stuff- it dropped about 3 inches in the rear...this didnt include myself, mom, german shepherd. I think I then topped off with gas. So its possible in total it dropped about 3.5- 3.75 inches...

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,461 Posts
Not sure if im not looking in the right spot or not, just curious how long the oil was in there. Or in other words how long was it between your changes.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Correct....
It was changed somewhere around the 1st week of Dec. and changed out last week of May---- so 6 months and 11,039 miles.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
85 Posts
Hey Rbarrios, I was wondering, how long have you owned your tb? I see you are almost up to 150k and I plan to keep my tb till it blows it is at 110k now and I've had it since 60k. So far I've replaced the ac compressor,Fan clutch,Mega fuse lol, brakes, and the tranny actuator. I really want to do a tranny flush,brake flush,spark plugs, and coolant flush. I work at a dealer and get done alot of the stuff almost free(only when the techinicians have time or I do it myself). I change the oil every 2500 miles or less with 5-30w castrol synthetic blend. I get the oil cheap so I figure what the hell. I dont have oil leaks, and the tb runs great. I am planning a trip to Guanuajuato maybe in december but I dont want anything to break on the way or there. I may also replace the serpentine belt with tensioner, and pulleys might even do the water pump:). But like I also said I plan to keep it for a while so it might not hurt to do that now. I have never drove to Guanujuato and have also heard some stories about that mexican fuel:undecided so It's going to be a long drive from Omaha, Ne. Let me know what you think or fellow tb owners.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought it with 16 miles. (was driven over from another dealer).
Aug/Sept 2002.

Guanajuato. Wow- long drive....
I love driving to Guadalajara. I do take the toll roads though..
from the border to GDL- its was about $250 USD in toll road fees.
The 1st time I drove- I took with me about 8 bottles of fuel system cleaner...
after hearing horror stories about the fuel.
The other 3 trips Ive made--- I didnt even bother with it. The Trailblazer ran fine with the gas straight from the pump- and I did not see any ill effects. Mileage was also great. So I wouldnt worry about it.

All the stuff you mention is good stuff to do- especially since youre at 110K.
The flush--- Id probably just do the fluid and filter change on the tranny- and not the flush.

WOW- you change oil at 2500 miles...
I remember when I got back from the LA-Guadalajara trip-.. I looked at the oil with about 3200 miles-- and it was yellowish/brown--- not black. I was a bit surprissed it still had that golden look.

Also- if youve never changed the thermostat--- now may be the time to do it.
Since youre going to change the coolant.. may as well do.....
thermostat-
coolant.
water pump
fan clutch. and maybe
the upper/lower rad hoses (inspect).

I changed my hoses at 133,000 and the coolant-- when I was prepping the truck for the trip to GDL...

I also changed the front sway bar endlinks.
and replaced the factory fuel pump- (was still working)

Also had the tranny fluid and filter changed.

But soon after 100K- I changed the plugs, flushed the brake fluid, changed differential fluid, replaced shocks.

The only trouble I had with the TB was at 47K-- the water pump bearings failed- so I got the wobble... the fan clutch was also replaced.
at about 77K- the 3rd gear failed on the tranny. I had all gears except 3.

Also- youll have to get your VEHICLE IMPORTATION PERMIT....
Im guessing all the people you know- go to the local Mexican Consulate and stand in line for 5 hours. or you stand in line at the checkpoint in Mexico--- forget all that..
Do the permit thing ONLINE. if you do it online- it may take you 40 minutes (double checking VIN #'s etc). you pay I think an extra $5 (vs standing inline)
but you get the permit FED-EX'd in a day and a half.
I can now do that permit thing in 20 minutes online.
When I did it- I submitted around noon. on a monday-- by Wednesday morning at 9am-- fed ex was at my door- with the permit.... straight from Mexico City DF.
Dont forget--- since youre going during Xmas--- you can import $300 worth of merchandise PER PERSON.. (rest of year its $50.)
In the pic below--- thats why im loaded on the trailer hitch- and inside.
I took grandma alot of food and necessary items that she needs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts