Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2006 GMC Envoy Denali Help:

Here is a quick sequence of events that I'm hoping someone with some mechanical inclination can help with:

1. Four months ago I'm driving to the hospital for an outpatient procedure. It's incredibly cold outside (teens at least). Oil pressure gauge drops to zero, engine/gauge lights come on, and warning to "stop engine." I'm almost to the hospital so I keep going and park. Come out later and start up, gauges read normal and no engine lights. I later get oil checked and there is plenty of oil. This exact issue doesn't occur again. I change the oil and chalk it up to the cold weather.

2. A few days ago I hear a funny sound coming from engine and the engine light pops on. A computer check reveals code P0521 "Engine oil pressure out of calibration range." I check the oil. Plenty of oil. I wouldn't be worried except for this sound that occurs after I drive it for awhile.

This YouTube video is exactly the sound that I'm hearing, but I ONLY show a single check engine light. I do not have a "Stop Engine" warning. The sound increases repetition/pitch the harder I press the gas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGMOcziCt-8

Any ideas? I'm a lawyer, not a mechanic. ANY suggestions appreciated! Also the engine does have 160k miles, but has been well maintained.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,567 Posts
If that is what your engine sounds like, go and have the oil pressure tested by a mechanic using a mechanical gauge. You may have a bad oil pump, worn out bearings, etc. This needs attention now.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input. I had a mechanic buddy take a look at it, and he suggested a new oil pump, pan gasket, and cleaning of the filter.

Apparently taking the oil pan out is no easy task. He said about 7 hours of labor to remove.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
you may want to have them check for a bad A/C clutch bearing HERE. Mine sounded the same when the bearing went bad. The noise and the lights coming up together may just be coincidence. If you can or your buddy remove the belt and start the engine. I swear I was looking for a new motor when mine started knocking and for some reason we, me and the guys at work, decided to remove the belt just to see and had no more noise. You never know. and as for the oil pressure that could be a bad oil switch also

1 - 4 of 4 Posts