Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wondering if there is anything to dress-up the 4.2 like chrome etc.?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
425 Posts
i have seen some people paint the plastic stuff(resonator, fan cover, fuse box cover) and change the plastic wire covers to colored ones like red or blue. the only chrome i seen was CAI

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
58 Posts
The rattle can chrome looks pretty bad IMHO, and will flake in no time. Unfortunately, it's not like having a SB/BBC, SB/BBF, etc. in our cases. You have to re-engineer what we got from the factory, unless you find something out there and are willing to pay buku bucks for it.

If you want to dress up anything that's visible, I've had EXCELLENT results on my SBC blocks, heads, water pumps, etc, and a 4.3 daily driver that went 343k by removing the valve covers, timing cover, h2o pump, and intake and cleaned/scrubbed REALLY good w/ some steel wool, wire brushes, Simple Green, and Carb Parts Cleaner. Wash and rinse again. Apply 2-3 coats of high temp engine primer. Let cure for a day or as long as you can allow. Apply the high temp color of your choice (2-3 coats- I personally had better results/longetivity w/ 1200* paint vs the 500*), let it cure, follow up with 2-3 coats of clear, cure, and be careful as you reinstall. Rubber gloves help keep everything nice and clean.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,248 Posts
Best thing would be to invest in an Eastwood powder painting setup and do some creative powder painting. They have a chrome and black chrome powder paint that looks pretty good.

All it takes is one of their $100 dollar kits and an old electric oven, plus some powder supplies (you can get a $200 kit with powders included in your choice of colors).

http://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-powder-coating.html

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
7,282 Posts
Best thing would be to invest in an Eastwood powder painting setup and do some creative powder painting. They have a chrome and black chrome powder paint that looks pretty good.

All it takes is one of their $100 dollar kits and an old electric oven, plus some powder supplies (you can get a $200 kit with powders included in your choice of colors).

http://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-powder-coating.html
That would be fine on anything that isn't plastic, but whatever is being coated needs to be conductive. If you are a powder coating pro, you can get the plastic pieces up to temp and get to powder sprayed on before they cool without clumping and it would work. Best bet for plastic would be to sand the plastics smooth(nicer look and it eliminates bubbling and peeling of paint. Something to do with a mold inhibitor), use and adhesion promoter, primer, paint, and clear. It sounds like a lot of work, but it's totally worth it. I've never seen a cool dress up kit, but it would be nice to have a hoce and wire loom kit ready to go.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,248 Posts
Sounds like you guys have about 50% of the hot rod mindset. You want everything dressed up, but don't know how to get innovative to get it done. Time to complete the package!

Check out dress up parts for other vehicles and do what you can with what is -- I've used stainless braid-covered lines for some of the hoses, colored wire looms to replace the black (unless black works better with your color scheme), paint, polish, etc., to dress up stuff that never had kits.

ANY aluminum part can be buffed to chrome-like finish -- just takes time. That means that much of our engine can look chromed if you spend the time and effort to get it that way. Plastic can be sprayed -- Mr.Smiths above gave great advice as to how this works. Cut out and seal with silcone, a plexi window into the air box, etc., etc., etc. Detail goes a long way also. Mostly elbow grease stuff.

Things right off the top of my mind that could be polished:
Alternator
Throttle Body
A/C lines (aluminum parts -- as mentioned above)
Coil heat sinks (would look nice polished, especially if you ditch the heat-grabbing factory plastic cover)
Brackets

Eastwood, same company that does the powdercoat system I mentioned above, also has a bunch of other detail paint that would work wonders under our hoods -- aluminum paint, steel gray, exhaust manifold coatings, etc.

Just look at the parts -- spring for the cost of a gasket or two -- and see what you can do. THAT is the true hot-rodding mindset. :thumbsup:

Majestic -- nice job -- I checked out your gallery!

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
705 Posts
just curious, I''ve noticed that the older TB have a black plastic cover over the part on the front of the engine where the oil cap goes, such as in Majestics pictures, while the newer ones have a lovely metal part there that looks all nice and corroded quite quickly. Is that just a plastic cover over the same metal part, or is it entirely different. Guess the real question is is it possible to take just the plastic part off an older one and put it on a newer one. The plastic looks way better than the metal

·
Registered
705 Posts
Mine is an 06, so its got the bare metal version, but if I find out the plastic thing is just a cover and it comes off I'll go to the junkyard and find one and put it on mine. I also really want to eventually find the radiator shroud cover from the 02-03

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
314 Posts
If you have some time and don't mind a few messed up attempts, you could try doing a little bit of carbon fiber forming yourself. You could easily make your own forms/molds and get a kit to create pretty much anything you want such as an engine cover or pretty much anything else that won't be required to hold any pressure. If done right, it would look pretty trick. I believe there are some do it yourself videos avail. for doing carbon fiber panels and such out there.

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
7,282 Posts
Sounds like you guys have about 50% of the hot rod mindset. You want everything dressed up, but don't know how to get innovative to get it done. Time to complete the package!
If you are too afraid you're going to break something, you should even bother. "Modding" or "hot rodding" is mostly about trial and error. You come up with your own idea and try it until it works, or try someone else's idea until it works. The reason their ideas worked is because they messed up until they got it right. I've had to do a lot of things more than once, but I got good at it. Good enough to now give advice and do work for others.

·
Registered
705 Posts
its an entirely different valve cover ..

also the radiator shroud covers came only on the 02 models and the SS models.. but I paid about $25 for the cover at parts4chevys.com
Guess I'll have to try to clean my valve cover up then. Do you have a link to the shroud cover on parts4chevys? i don't see it on there, but thats a good price

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.