Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 07 trailblazer and the 4wd encoder has issues. I've put 3 in (2 Dorman I know their history now, the latest one is a Cardone rebuild) and it works for a while then stops. No lights on switch, will not engage 4wd. Had problems last year with Dorman one it would shift "hard",hoping transfer case isn't screwed up..at a loss for answers, also replaced Axle accuator, #8 & #48 fuses good

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Showing no codes on dash, haven't hooked my scanner yet. I put in a Dorman shift motor what a mistake ...gotta Cardone rebuilt lasted until had long distance run (40 miles or so) was in "auto" for most until last mile to work was very slick, when I got to work put it back into 2wd and lights on dash for selector went out and service 4wd came on light illuminated..beginning to think control module might have shorted or bad contact points...hope ya can help..thanx

· Premium Member
'05 TB 4.2 EXT
6,192 Posts
Three actuators .... and the same problem?

It ain't the actuators I betchum!

I smell a 4WD that's been run in A4WD a lot. If so, the clutches are worn out and the actuator dies because it is trying to hook up the clutchpack --- and there aint any clutchpack left.

Hence ---> the failure to work.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Think it might be bad connection. Was on way to work this morn, and suddenly the 4wd selector lights came back on..could've done that when I was travelingin 7 inchesof snow yesterday in 2wd....tried the automatic 4wd setting and it worked!! Wondering if tccm has bad connection...well it's ordered I guess I'll find out in a couple days..thanx again for all replies...will keep everyone informed!!

· Registered
63 Posts
Think it might be bad connection. Was on way to work this morn, and suddenly the 4wd selector lights came back on..could've done that when I was travelingin 7 inchesof snow yesterday in 2wd....tried the automatic 4wd setting and it worked!! Wondering if tccm has bad connection...well it's ordered I guess I'll find out in a couple days..thanx again for all replies...will keep everyone informed!!

Automatic 4wd wears out your clutch packs faster, stick to 2HI, 4HI and 4LO to stave off expensive repairs :)

· Registered
63 Posts
Only use "auto" when roads are questionable...I keep it In 2wd normally...
even when the roads are questionable switch to 4HI, it gets roughly the same mileage, but fully engages 4x4 so you dont wear out your clutch packs. A4WD is poorly implemented and will cost you lots of money! I recommend against using it :)

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll keep that in mind...it handeld pretty good 2wd threw storm yesterday...I was surprised...don't like keeping it in 4wd if ya have to turn it binds up like it should..just have to remember to switch out for turns unless in snow or mud..
Thanx again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts