Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ls
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my E brakes are gone at 67,k and I have never touched drum brakes before. I know how to do disk brakes fine.
I found a thread that said

jack up whole car... put tranny in neutral... and pads and disc come off with out a single problem

Is there anything else to it besides replacing the shoes or adjusting the cables?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Read this:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=57024

The ebrakes sometimes can be improved by adjusting the cable according to the process in that thread. More often you have to adjust the star wheel inside the drum. That adjusts the resting position of the shoes, and might involve doing it multiple times to get them to just barely touch when the lever isn't being pulled on.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
476 Posts
The only way you'd wear out your E-brakes is if you either had rear drum brakes or stopped with the E-brake all the time.

On drum style brakes the E-brake is a lever actuated by a cable that is controlled from the driver's side. Pushing a pedal or pulling the lever pulls the cable which then expands the bottom of the drum shoes to contact the drum.
In essence the e-brake is a mechanical bypass for the hydraulics.

If you remove the drums and the shoes look good your problem is probably a bad E-brake cable. While they will sometimes be in a sheath more likely the cable is in the open and exposed to lots of road salt/dirt. I had an S-15 and they were notorious for bad cables because the cable rubbed the frame & prematurely wore out.

I would advise you to take off the drums and take a few photos of the current position of the parts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts