Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 02 Trailblazer EXT is losing power to the Transfer Case Control Switch, Gauges, Radio (except the Clock), the Rear wiper switch, and the rear HVAC fan switch. At the same time, the dash warning lights come on and I don't have an 'indicator' that tells me what gear I'm in (P,R,N,D,etc.). All this seems to occur just a few seconds after I tap the brakes to put it in drive. Is there a switch or connection in the gear shift that could be faulty? I very rarely get the gauges and everything to come back on. My only option is to turn off the engine and start it again. But now this issue seems to happen every time I touch the brake to shift. I don't even need to put it in gear. I lose all the guages, etc with the transmission still in park.

I have checked for loose wires and grounds all around the transfer case and tranny and all fuses (Front and Rear blocks). Any suggestions???

Thanks.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
I'm going to assume you checked thebattery terminals as well, but it might just be a faulty ignition switch.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
3 Posts
I've had a similar problem where the Stabilitrak light started coming on, but it'd turn off after restarting. After a while though I started having really rough starts where it made me believe the battery was bad. After two batterys, and eventually a fried HVAC blower and braking communication controller, it turns out the ignition switch keeps going bad.

When the lights initially started coming on, I took my truck to the local dealer and they were unable to find the problem, and a check of the charging showed no problems either. Just fyi, hopefully you can get it before it costs you $800 in repairs...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not the ignition switch or the park lock solenoid

Well it's fixed, but it wasn't the ignition switch or the park lock solenoid (I replaced that too) It turned out to be the body control module. I finally broke down and took it to a shop that I trust. He was able to get deep into the computer codes and found a bunch of codes that all pointed to communication with the BCM and other parts. So for $500 total...most of my worries are gone. The ignition switch was $50, the solenoid was $100 and the BCM was $180 plus 5-6 hours labor. Most of that labor was trying to pinpoint the source/cause of all the internal codes. (None of those codes showed up on my OBD scanner, by the way.)

Everything is back to normal, except the door locks. The key fobs need to be reprogrammed with the new body control module.

I hope this helps out someone else...Even the mechanic was stumped for a while with this one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
programming

Yeah, the mechanic got it from a local GMC dealer that had it in stock. He had it programmed with the VIN (and other codes?). I couldn't believe it only cost me $180!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.