Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04 Trailblazer Ext w/ 5.3l v8. This past weekend some elecrical "issues" surfaced. My dash gauges ( gas, oil press., volt, temp) do not work, but speed and tach do. All my indicator light icons are lit up ( battery,air bag, ABS, park brake, etc.) my driver side power windows do not work, my 4 wheel does'nt work , steering wheel radio controls do not work, radio does not shut off even when key is out and truck is off, interior lamps stay on after doors are all shut, but car drives fine. It can't be a fuse because of all that is involved. I live in Michigan so I'm dealing with snowy, cold conditions. Any ideas????

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Sounds like an ignition module. When these thing go, all hell can break loose one minute and be fine ten minutes later. :m2:

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
switch doesn't cost more than $30, and its very easy to do yourself. but i'm not sure how much a dealer would charge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well after considering all the advice I recieved, I am no electrical guru by the way, I took my TB to a local auto electrician. After 4 hours of following wire diagrams he found a short in wires coming from the driver door module. Where exactly did he find the short? Under the carpet on the floor of the driver's seat, right where your left foot would rest while driving. 3 wires were fried and its a good thing my ride didn't catch fire. I just can't believe GM would overlook such a flaw in wire cinfiguration. The wires were routed together right between the carpet and floor board with no conduit. If you have the time and knowledge it may behoove you to pull driver seat and carpet and check your wiring to make sure its ran safely. Pass this on to anyone on here, by the way it cost me $304.00 to have this done

·
Registered
2006 saab 9_7x
69 Posts
I had a similar issue surface yesterday with my 06 Saab 9-7x 5.3i. I was driving to work and noticed that the security light on the dash was on. Then a minute later the the following gauges stopped working: Gas (Yellow low fuel light came on), Temperature and Oil Pressure. The Speedo, tach and Battery gauge kept working.

Stabilitak Off was displayed in the DIC and a handful of lights on the IP were on, Service Engine Soon, Security, Battery and Stabilitrak Off.

My driver's heated seat stopped working along with the Speed Sensitive Volume feature on my radio.

I took it to my local Saab dealer (still under OEM 4year/50K warranty) and they equipped me with a rental car. Later in the day I talked to the tech and by the time they started to work on it (late in the day) the problem was gone and they couldn't reproduce it. The tech said he had never seen the reported problem before and only old codes were stored that weren't related to this issue. The tech said my truck behaved fine during a 4 mile test drive. They kept it for the weekend and are going to resume working on it on Monday. We'll see what they find.

Here's a picture of what the IP looked like (click to view the larger version):

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
None to speak of but when the dash went "haywire" and the other things I noted happened my drivers side speakers weren't working either.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_slt
96 Posts
"Under the carpet on the floor of the driver's seat, right where your left foot would rest while driving. 3 wires were fried"..:yes:

yep, nearly exact scenario for me causing extreme distress with malfunctioning stabilitrak-traction control....that decided to apply brakes at any time while under highway speeds, dry pavement! :nono:

Good thing it was rectified because that would have cost GM more dollars (that they don't have anyway)....think about it! :m2:

·
Registered
2006 saab 9_7x
69 Posts
Did your gauges act up (half not working) like I described in my previous post?

"Under the carpet on the floor of the driver's seat, right where your left foot would rest while driving. 3 wires were fried"..:yes:

yep, nearly exact scenario for me causing extreme distress with malfunctioning stabilitrak-traction control....that decided to apply brakes at any time while under highway speeds, dry pavement! :nono:

Good thing it was rectified because that would have cost GM more dollars (that they don't have anyway)....think about it! :m2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only guages that worked at all were speedometer and tach and all the indicator icons were lit up much like in your pic.

·
Registered
2006 saab 9_7x
69 Posts
The only guages that worked at all were speedometer and tach and all the indicator icons were lit up much like in your pic.
Same thing happened when I had a bad ground.
JerminK and Envoy Fan - I appreciate the confirmation, thank you!

I just talked to the Saab dealer and they said that my 9-7x is ready for pickup and that the problem hasn't reoccured. I'll have to get more details when I'm there to see what exactly was done.

It sounds like my issue is either:
1. Fried wires underneath the floor where your left foot rests while driving
2. A bad ground

I want to pick my SUV up but I also don't want the problem to reoccur.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts