Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

electrical issues, radio problems

61K views 41 replies 26 participants last post by  Biggie42086 
#1 ·
My wife's 2006 Trailblazer is having some electrical issues. It started as a radio problem... At any given time, only some speakers work. Sometimes it's all of them, some times it's only the front tweeters. We always get some noise. Probably 95% of the time less than all of the speakers work. Sometimes it's just the right ones, sometimes just the front, etc. Always different.

About 2-3 days later we realized that only half of her dash lights up. On the climate controls, only the drivers side was lit up... passenger side was completely out. The next time we turned the truck on, all the lights worked... So the light and radio problems are intermittent.

About 4 weeks later she noticed that her passenger side backup light is out. I changed the bulb and it still doesn't work. I don't have a meter here to be able to check anything there, but I switched the bulb twice and none of them worked... pretty safe to say there is no electricity there.

The Chevy dealership says we need a new radio... really? I think all 3 of these problems are most likely related, and we've got some big problems if the radio is knocking out her backup lights. We've been to the dealership 3 times already with no luck. We're taking it back thursday.

Anyone have any ideas on what it might be? Fortunately she bought the extended warranty, and she's already paid her deductible, so cost isn't going to be an issue.

THanks!
Jeremy

See less See more
#29 ·
Radio completely dies, fuse good.....

:suicide: I've owned an '04 XUV SLT since new, and it now has 150K - and never a real problem. Last week I bought another '04 XUV with 37K original, and on day 2 the radio just died - no time showing, no nothing. I pulled the fuse, found it OK and put it back. Voila!, radio worked - for another 4 days. Then, last night, while on the highway, the radio up and died again. When I got home I pulled the fuse and kept it out overnight, put it back in this morning, and still nothing. Everything else - climate control, dash lights, door chimes, etc. - all work perfectly.

My 40 years of 1960's to 1980's auto restoration experience tells me the radio is bad - but with the advent of on-board computers and 'programmable" radios, I'm not positive. That said, I'd rather spend $50 on a replacement radio than spend three hours crawling around with a tester checking for bad wiring, however. BUT, the thought of giving the stealership another $50 on top of that to program a replacement radio to work with my car's computer just frosts my cookies even more.

Does anyone have experience with just the radio crapping-out and, if so, what was your fix - was it truly just the radio?

Also, is the radio in the '04 a model that requires reprogramming? iIf not, then I'm going to pull the radio from my other '04 XUV and see if it works in the new one.

Thanks, in advance, to all those TrailVoy'ers who have helped in the past, and continue to help everyone who needs it!:):):)

#30 ·
Interesting Info on Dead Radio

Well, I pulled the radio out of my XUV and discovered that it had been replaced before with a "Delphi Remanufactured" unit. So, I figured once broken, broken again! But, upon looking for a matching part number replacement I discovered that my particular radio was a very limited production, and wasn't readily available on the secondary market. I Googled the GM part # and found SPL Electronics in Missouri advertising coded/uncoded GM radios. I called them and they were as helpful as could be, asking me all the right questions, ultimately saying that to save me money and aggravation I should pinpoint the exact problem. He gave me a two-step recommendation: First, verify that I had voltage to the B1 wire on the radio harness - if not, power problem. If B1 had voltage, then likely radio problem. If it became a radio issue, as they would not be able to supply me with an unlocked unit and it still might not be the real problem they suggested I contact United Radio Service in East Syracuse, NY for further assistance (they are GM's repair choice).

I went out and tested B1 and found it had the necessary voltage, so that suggested the problem was with the radio. So, I called United Radio. They were also extremely helpful, with the tech suggesting I first try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes to see if the BCM would reset the radio. I did exactly that and the radio came back to life - only to be dead again the next time I started the car (an hour or so later). Before driving 60 miles to work this AM, I disconnected the battery and tried the reset again, and it worked. At least I had music to keep me awake. Of course, when I went out at lunchtime the radio was, again, totally dead. I called United back, reporting what had happened, and the tech suggested two courses of further action - first, I could send them my radio and they would bench-test it to make sure it wasn't a bad control module (their likely cause). If it were bad, they'd repair it within 24 hours and get it back to me. If it does test OK they suggested that I reinstall it and take it to my GM dealer and have them hook my car up to a Tech II and see if the BCM is sending the radio the correct signal to activate it.

All this may take some time to properly diagnose, but at least I have the proverbial roadmap to follow. I will report back as the diagnosis - and hopefully the solution - progresses.

In the meantime, I highly recommend SPL Electronics and United Radio Service!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thx

#32 ·
Update 2

Replaced the stereo now. New speakers haven't had any issues. Didn't see any problems with any of the wiring. Added an amp and a 10" sub. Everything working fine. As far as my issue, I'm convinced it was just the speakers. Still don't know what's up with those dash lights being out.

#33 ·
Radio Problems

I have a 2002 Trailblazer and I first notice the speakers on the drivers side would work and not work. Now the radio has an echo chamber effect and needs the volume turned up high to listen. The other day I did noticed that whenever I have the key in the ignition and the door open the buzzer sounds, the radio works fine and without the buzzer the radio has the echo effect. I'm thinking that it might be tied into the ignition switch. I've had other problems with the car and replacing the ignition switch cured the problems. Any other ideas? thanks

#34 ·
Speakers going on and off

I also have developed this issue with speakers going on and off with my 2007 Envoy. It's been going on for 6 months or so, but I wasn't motivated to fix it because there was always at least one speaker working, and no other issues. Well this weekend, all 4 were out, and only the tweeters were on. Kids were upset that Katy Perry wasn't playing properly, something must be done! Then today (Monday) both fronts were working fine again. ??
I read through a few of these radio threads, and the consensus is that the speakers are blown. It's bizarre because they all take turns, and when they work they sound fine, not blown.
I assumed it must be a loose connection behind the radio, but checked here first.
I'm going to replace some speakers and report back.
The OEM aftermarket ones are at least $75 each online, and probably crap too. Anyone have a suggestion for speakers that will fit? I'm in the Toronto area, West GTA.

#35 ·
I replaced speakers in our 2007 trailblazer and it fixed the same problem you are describing. I was almost positive that there was a wiring problem or short somewhere til I saw this thread. The sound was intermittent to non existent prior to replacing them. Haven't had a problem with sound since. I don't remember the specific brand but purchased at Best Buy. Hope this helps.

#36 ·
Speakers Replaced

I replaced the two front speakers last night, and they work great. It's strange, but you are correct. Blown speakers.
I bought 4 ohm 6.5" 300watt speakers from the local electronics shop for $39 per pair. The speaker cone can easily be unscrewed from the OEM housing and swapped out.
I'll do the rears later this week.

#37 ·
Similar Issue

A couple months ago I started having radio issues on my 05. Then yesterday I noticed my rear right running light was out (2nd time in as many years). Replaced the bulb. Nothing. Switched with another to make sure the bulb was good. Nothing. Ugh!!!

I don't even know where to begin with the speaker issues...

#40 ·
re

The circuit boards inside the radio are pretty weak, and the speakers aren't very good either. I replaced my radio with a nice Kenwood unit and it sounds pretty nice. Now the speakers are starting to break down. I guess I will be changing those out soon. Crutchfield sells radio's with install kits and wiring harness adapters so your new unit will install easily. They also have direct replacements for the OEM speakers so you don't have to fiddle with wiring or cutting holes. This is the route I took for the stereo and the way I will go with the speakers. Hope this info helps someone!

As for the light segments inside the sliding bar heat control for passenger/driver. I removed my unit, opened it up, confirmed the bulb burnt out on the circuit board. Bought a set (2) of bulbs from radio shack with pigtails and replaced them both using a soldering iron. Re-asembled and reinstalled. No problems for over a year now.

#42 ·
Well I can tell you it’s not a radio problem I have a 95 s10 blazer with intermittent speakers working so I put a after market in and it’s still does every day I crank it it’s just the back right speaker working then eventually after I stop and shut it off and crank it up I have 2 or more working I am wondering if the body control is malfunctioning I’ve seen on a few other vehicles that the speakers go throw the body control module if it’s messing up sometimes the speakers won’t work I’ll let you know if I fix the issue

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.