Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently chasing an electrical demon around my 2004 Trailblazer. When we fist noticed the issue, the left front headlight was very dim, and then the engine would die when you turned the high beams on. Then about a week ago it just died and will not start at all. The first thing I noticed was the fuel pump does not kick on when I turn the key on. I did a test, and the fuel pump works just fine. I replaced the ignition switch since it seems to be a fairly common issue. Still nothing, but what I noticed while working in the steering column area was that if you pull the turn signal lever toward the driver position like you were going to flash your lights at someone, the fuel pump kicks on while it is pulled back and the left front headlight will pretty much go out if the lights are on. I have also checked most of the grounds on it, including the G120 (If I remember right) inside by the console. Has anyone seen anything like this? Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.:thx

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
64 Posts
Sounds like loose wires in the connectors, possibly a intermittent short between wires when pulling the stalk. I would check inside of the column, and also under the underwood fuse panel to see if any wire are touching.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update

Just a quick update on the electrical issue. I have been completely through the steering column wiring harness all the way out to the under hood fuse block. I even took the fuse block apart and checked for corrosion or a short. I am still having the same issue. I have noticed though, when I turn on the high beams that I start getting 12vdc through the ground pin for the fuel pump relay. I am certain the issue is tied to the headlights, but I am lost at how or where they tie together or how that could even happen. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
64 Posts
You may get a manual an check the diagrams. If the wiring for the headlights and fuel pump are in the same loom, you may split it to see if there are any places where the wires touch or have melted together. I don't think te headlights are ran through the same module as the fuel pump(lights are usually through the bcm and fuel pump is usually through the pcm or has its own module) but they could be. The only link between the two that I can think as a possibility would be in the fuse box and maybe a wiring loom. Sorry I can't be of much help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.