Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I'm new here so I hope this is in the right spot.
I have a 04 Chevy trailblazer ext, it's a great truck. Bought it last may and did a whole host of repairs on it
Font Handwriting Paper product Number Rectangle

Right now I'm chasing the batt draw, and am confused. I hook up my meter on amps to ground post then ground cable. I get a reading of 4.76 but then in like maybe 30 seconds before I can start removing fuses the meter goes to 0.00. What would cause that? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol, I'm just doing what they say in videos, cuz people always say WATCH A VIDEO. Regardless I'm getting a voltage draw and I really need to find it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Along the same line I have a question.
My instrument panel has 2 gages that don't work, the gas and batt gage, and batt light is usually dimly lit. I imagine it's bad step motors in the instrument panel. Could that be causing the draw?
If I don't start it everyday, in 2 days I'll have to jump it, so I know there's something up.
I ended up leaving a FB group cuz they kept saying watch a video.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol, thank you for the nice reply.
This is the first vehicle I've had that is so electronic. This truck was sitting for 3 years in a garage when I bought it. I had to pull headliner and remove big mouse nest and under hood I had to repair some chewed wires. I've replaced the alternator and batt last year. 2 gages don't work, gas and batt. There are no obd codes, the damn thing runs like a champ.
The thing is when I leave it sit for a day or two if barely starts. I've measured the volts with my dmm and it's been at 10.5v. Hence I started the whole yt adventure.
While I am a retired mechanic, electrical stuff has always been my nemesis.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol, my hands are too big for those little step motor parts. That and I'm not confident enough in soldering on a circuit board. i'll be sending my inst panel out to someone.
i spent the morning cleaning grounds under the hood, theres a lot of them. i popped off the 2 caps on top of the battery where the acid goes and noticed 1 cell was low in acid, so i will be getting it looad tested.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah thanks, I actually disabled that a few days ago.
Just got my battery tested today and it's junk, so I'll be bringing that back to Walmart. I got it last August. Still pulling alternator and getting it tested as well, got that from advance auto parts last winter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well today I installed new alternator and battery and that damn light is still on. When of it sits at 12.5v for now and when running its at 14.53v.
Car Speedometer Steering part Automotive design Gauge

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well I came outside today after putting new alt and batt in and the batt light was off, so who the heck knows. For good measure I changed ignition switch today. Guess we'll see what happens, lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts