Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,642 Posts
{quote]I put a electric fan on. So is there anything else I need to do? To get my motor to run right.[/quote]

Let me see if I understand you --- your fan motor is running badly after you swapped it into your vehicle?

I see the YEAR --- post the MAKE - MODEL - ENGINE SIZE - ANY CODES YOU SEE - TRIM LEVEL

·
Premium Member
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,229 Posts
You will need something to fool the ECM into thinking the electronic fan clutch is still there.

Within the last month there was someone on here who claims they devised what I will call a "black box" that does just that. I suggest you use the search function and search for "electric fan".

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
I see you found the posting.

Reactions: Ravalli Surfer

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My clutch fan was bad. So I replaced it with a electric fan. Now I getting a code say something about the fan relay. I understand I need to fake out my pcm. Just not sure on how to do this.

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
I'm sure you did, I am hoping the OP sees it.

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
OP, if I recall the thread correctly, the cost of the mystery "black box" is about the cost of a decent electronic fan clutch that comes with at least a 2 year warranty. I'm not sure what you'll do if the "black box" goes wonky. My solution is to go to rockauto.com and order the Dorman electronic fan clutch as it comes with a lifetime warranty and it is manufactured by a company with a decent history.

Reactions: yankee56

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,642 Posts
I think this is succinct and if any OP requires more info, it can be posted for them.

DO NOT DISCONNECT THE BATTERY UNLESS SOMEONE HERE TELLS YOU TO.

If you do this foolish thing, you run the risk of damaging already
old and brittle plastic gears inside the HVAC electronic controllers
There will be clarification later if you wish.....​

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
Oh, you meant that boilerplate message! I'm fighting a migraine this evening so I'm a little behind o_O

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
I can understand with all that cold and dry weather you are having. Supposed to warm up here this week, so I am hoping to make progress on packing and finishing up making sure all vehicles are road worthy for the trip home.

·
Premium Member
2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ 4.2L
401 Posts
I did the same. Installed a Flex-A-Lite electric fan to replace my failing clutch and get a more reliable cooler without the extra lateral load on the engine. To fool the computer, a company called PCM of NC has a program where they recode a PCM to your application and can remove that code, as well as a wealth of other possibilities to improve performance and fuel economy. Might be worth checking out.

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,642 Posts
I did the same. Installed a Flex-A-Lite electric fan to replace my failing clutch and get a more reliable cooler without the extra lateral load on the engine. To fool the computer, a company called PCM of NC has a program where they recode a PCM to your application and can remove that code, as well as a wealth of other possibilities to improve performance and fuel economy. Might be worth checking out.
Just be careful of diddling into the transmission op/sys.

Many "Tooners" like to jack up the output of the pump by having it swing to a higher pressure/output position just to harden the shift and although it might feel good, it puts a lot of strain on what is likely a high-mileage pump - pushing it to run where it isn't happy.

I've seen and heard of a lot of pumps that fracture after getting a recurved ECM.

.... just sayin' .................

·
Premium Member
2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ 4.2L
401 Posts
Transmission was the one thing I didn't mess with, especially after the pretty stack of pennies I spent getting it rebuilt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts