Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Envoy SLT 4x4

I need some one to help provide a sanity check. I tried the posted ECAS Air suspension recalibrate like 5 times but it goes back to my original settings every time.

My attempted procedures:

I jack the truck up and drop the axle; start the truck (utilized the engine run method several times and two other times I just had the ignit. on.) then lower the truck relatively quickly to deflate the airbags. Then turn the ignit. off just as the comp. wants to kick in as it wants to recover. I then

PULL both fuses #1 ECAS and #15 Ride..

No one says for how long to have them pulled so I tried 2minutes then 5 minutes then 10 minutes. I even went as far as disconnecting the ground thinking this was going to erase the system/computer's memory.

I then jacked the axle up to desired height and then

Reinsert the Fuses ? I reinsert both every time, but, is there a sequence for the fuses?

when I reinsert both I then turn the ignition key and watch the DASH lights cycle/flash and when all is normal I start the truck..

But every time the compressor kicks on and goes right back to the original spot I started from

anyones help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
What exactly are you trying to do?

The ride sensors are what controls the height, if you look through each wheel from the outside you'll see a little rod that connects to the frame and another that connects to the axle (I believe). Need to adjust the 10mm bolts (2x each side) to get the lift/drop you want.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Recalibrate the Height

I want to recalibrate the height as I messed with the system (changed the sensor both sides trying to compensate) last winter trying to compensate for some thing that turned out being a bad compressor.

I want to recalibrate the air suspension. Also since i am running SS springs in the front on Envoy SLT I want to lower the back slightly, maybe and inch or so.

But at the moment the rear sits about 33.5 almost 34 inches high from the ground surface to the bottom edge where the rear quater panel and rear door meet.

I tried following this information in this thread but was never able to get the memory to clear out of computer of the previous suspension height.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=65059&highlight=air+suspension+fuse

As would reinsert the fuses and cycle the key then turn the key right to starting engine it would instantly kick the compressor on an fill the bags back to my winter time settings.

I'm being to think there really is no memory to wipe for recalibrating of the ECAS of Ride fuses.

Any help would be great.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
691 Posts
That process probably resets the system so it reads the height sensors in case it goes out of sync. The system, when working properly always uses the sensors to set height. If you want to change the height you must adjust the sensors using the sensor mounting bolts.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali_xl
9 Posts
Riding Low...

Old thread but I'm replying because there seems to be a lot of confusion about resetting the ECAS ride height. My 2005 Envoy Denali XL ended up a low rider after I changed the sensors, one at a time, after the actuating arms broke. I was lazy and didn't reset the sensors POSITION, just tried the procedure where you remove ECAS 30A fuse, raise chassis to dump air from air bags, lower chassis to desired height, re-insert fuse. This never worked.

I read a lot about the ECAS, thought a lot, broke down and spent a slightly bit more time last night adjusting the ride height. What I did that worked:

1) Cut (2) 2x4s to 5-5/16" length. That's the D-height setting for my vehicle.

2) Run vehicle up on ramps, use floor jack to raise chassis enough to insert 2x4s between axle tube and bump stop bracket. Lower floor jack slightly to hold 2x4s in place. This sets the chassis to the desired ride height.

3) Adjust sensors one at a time. When you buy a new sensor, it comes with an adjustment tool (small rod with a t-handle) that goes through the arm to the sensor body. If you don't have one, use a drill bit. This process is detailed up in a few TrailVoy threads, but it's pretty evident when you look at the sensor in place.

BTW, yes, its a tight fit to adjust the sensor without removing the wheel. But I'm lazy plus don't have real large hands and fingers, so I just lit the area up well with several lights and fiddled with each sensor. 10 minutes max, both sensors. 6" ratchet, 10MM deep socket worked for me.

4) After both sensors are adjusted with chassis at the correct height, replace fuse, key to ON position until all lights stop flashing. Remove 2x4s. Vehicle squats down (at least mine did).

5) Start vehicle. Compressor should crank up to find the new D-height setpoint.

6) Savor the joy of a functioning, automatic level control air-ride suspension! :D

I believe the key is that the sensors need to be at their "mid-travel position" at the desired ride height. That's why you slip the sensor alignment tool through the arm to the sensor and tighten sensor adjustment bolts there.

This procedure can be followed for varying ride heights desired by adjusting the 2x4 length; longer 2x4s gets you higher ride height. And vice versa.

·
Registered
2006 GMC ENVOY XL DENALI
43 Posts
Old thread but I'm replying because there seems to be a lot of confusion about resetting the ECAS ride height. My 2005 Envoy Denali XL ended up a low rider after I changed the sensors, one at a time, after the actuating arms broke. I was lazy and didn't reset the sensors POSITION, just tried the procedure where you remove ECAS 30A fuse, raise chassis to dump air from air bags, lower chassis to desired height, re-insert fuse. This never worked.

I read a lot about the ECAS, thought a lot, broke down and spent a slightly bit more time last night adjusting the ride height. What I did that worked:

1) Cut (2) 2x4s to 5-5/16" length. That's the D-height setting for my vehicle.

2) Run vehicle up on ramps, use floor jack to raise chassis enough to insert 2x4s between axle tube and bump stop bracket. Lower floor jack slightly to hold 2x4s in place. This sets the chassis to the desired ride height.

3) Adjust sensors one at a time. When you buy a new sensor, it comes with an adjustment tool (small rod with a t-handle) that goes through the arm to the sensor body. If you don't have one, use a drill bit. This process is detailed up in a few TrailVoy threads, but it's pretty evident when you look at the sensor in place.

BTW, yes, its a tight fit to adjust the sensor without removing the wheel. But I'm lazy plus don't have real large hands and fingers, so I just lit the area up well with several lights and fiddled with each sensor. 10 minutes max, both sensors. 6" ratchet, 10MM deep socket worked for me.

4) After both sensors are adjusted with chassis at the correct height, replace fuse, key to ON position until all lights stop flashing. Remove 2x4s. Vehicle squats down (at least mine did).

5) Start vehicle. Compressor should crank up to find the new D-height setpoint.

6) Savor the joy of a functioning, automatic level control air-ride suspension! :D

I believe the key is that the sensors need to be at their "mid-travel position" at the desired ride height. That's why you slip the sensor alignment tool through the arm to the sensor and tighten sensor adjustment bolts there.

This procedure can be followed for varying ride heights desired by adjusting the 2x4 length; longer 2x4s gets you higher ride height. And vice versa.
Can you show the tool used?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
2002 Envoy SLT 4x4

I need some one to help provide a sanity check. I tried the posted ECAS Air suspension recalibrate like 5 times but it goes back to my original settings every time.

My attempted procedures:

I jack the truck up and drop the axle; start the truck (utilized the engine run method several times and two other times I just had the ignit. on.) then lower the truck relatively quickly to deflate the airbags. Then turn the ignit. off just as the comp. wants to kick in as it wants to recover. I then

PULL both fuses #1 ECAS and #15 Ride..

No one says for how long to have them pulled so I tried 2minutes then 5 minutes then 10 minutes. I even went as far as disconnecting the ground thinking this was going to erase the system/computer's memory.

I then jacked the axle up to desired height and then

Reinsert the Fuses ? I reinsert both every time, but, is there a sequence for the fuses?

when I reinsert both I then turn the ignition key and watch the DASH lights cycle/flash and when all is normal I start the truck..

But every time the compressor kicks on and goes right back to the original spot I started from

anyones help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I was having the same problem as you are. My solution swap the air lift suspension for a conventional one with coils and new shocks.

I only regret not doing that from the jump would've saved all the bs I went through before I decided to swap out the suspension.

I bit of my story if you feel like reading it.
I tinkered with everything to get the truck to raise up. it rarely did and when it did it would drop all the way down when I drove past the slightest bump on the road. In that condition I recommend you to not drive it cause it jumps up and down like a low-rider but from the back and doing 70 plus on the freeway jumping like that can cause an accident, not to mention you look like an idiot. Some days I couldn't even make it to work because the truck was basically all the way down and it was hard to maneuver. It was scary as **** to drive down Palos Verdes CA on a rainy day and frustrating to be stuck in the L.A traffic with your truck draggin on its ass.
I got fed up with the entire air system so I changed it to a conventional suspension. Took the air bags out cut the air lines unplugged the height sensors and installed coils and new shocks. It's pretty easy to do. I did mine because I couldnt afford to pay a mechanic and I don't know a lot about fixing cars. If you do just make sure to lift your truck properly with jack stands and to take your time. Remember to take out the ecs fuse (#1 on mine, go figure )before you start working on it though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts