Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have used ebay for most of my repair parts. so far i haven't had any issues. changed the front wheel bearings and upper control arm bushings as well

·
Registered
14 Posts
eBay Parts

I used eBay parts all the time had only on issue a fan clutch went bad and contacted the seller and they sent me a new one.

Tip: On parts wait until at lease 30 days before giving a seller feedback or don't. Why because if you have a part issue the seller will work extra hard to make it right knowing you have not gave them feed back yet and scared you might give them bad feed back.

I would price check between walmart.com, amazon, ebay and google before buying.

Also some times you can get the parts cheaper not buying them as a complete kit.

I rebuild my complete 05 trailblazer 4.2l engine with online parts and saved a good $1,200. Parts stores are for the desperate or need it now parts. I'll wait 2 days to get the same part cheaper :)

I bought a fuel pump last year on amazon $55 and autozone wanted around $250 they told me but our parts have a warranty. I said, mine has a 1 year warranty and by saving I can replace that fuel pump five times so I think I will stay self insured.

Good lucky.

Also I bought my Front Wheel Hubs and Bearing Assembly from that same seller last year in July have had not issues with the parts.

I would make sure a seller has a good 99.3 or above rating.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wonderful! Thank you everybody!! I will order 2 sets soon. My moms car needs front end work too. 05 trailblazer.

Would you recommend replacing everything, or just what needs replaced? I drive dirt roads in Colorado. It needs one bearing, tie rods, ball joints. I figure it all has high mileage and could use the refresh.

Also, is it better to replace the whole control arm or just the ball joints and bushings?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bump!

I have another question, I am going to search. But what is the consensus on sealed vs. greased (greaseable zerk) ball joints and suspension pieces.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it better to use factory control arms and swap out bushings, or just replace the control arm as one unit?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Bump!!!

I have to do my moms 05 TB 4x4 and my wife 2wd EXT. my moms cousin is giving me $1k to fix her car. So I would like to keep it in that budget or a little less.

I have been searching YouTube and google reviews on Detroit axle, A1auto, moog and oem. Rock auto has a mevotech kit that looks decent. Might just bite the bullet on that. And there is no solid answer as to which parts are best bang for buck.
Also, is it best to swap out control arms or bushings and balls?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
63 Posts
Bump!

I have another question, I am going to search. But what is the consensus on sealed vs. greased (greaseable zerk) ball joints and suspension pieces.

I prefer the Zerk fitting type myself. Although they cost a bit more than the non- serviceable type it depends on the environment it will be in and as well as how long you intend to keep the vehicle.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Is it better to use factory control arms and swap out bushings, or just replace the control arm as one unit?
Depends on if you want to create or i mean do more work for yourself and save a few bucks than by all means rebuild them. Do not forget you will need proper tools to do the bushings and ball joints which unless you have them already then it will be more expensive unless you know someone or you have a shop that can do it.
I had done mine with the complete lower control arm swap already to install. Though i do have the tools to swap out the parts as needed i didnt feel it necessary to create more work than what i needed to do. :D
I also did the upper control arm as well as struts and a upper ball joint which will require you to press out and install using a press tool.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bump!!!

I have to do my moms 05 TB 4x4 and my wife 2wd EXT. my moms cousin is giving me $1k to fix her car. So I would like to keep it in that budget or a little less.

I have been searching YouTube and google reviews on Detroit axle, A1auto, moog and oem. Rock auto has a mevotech kit that looks decent. Might just bite the bullet on that. And there is no solid answer as to which parts are best bang for buck.
Also, is it best to swap out control arms or bushings and balls?

As far as parts i did the following brand/parts as they seemed like the way to go for me but i decided that based on what i felt was durable - good value and cost effective.
Moog branded U.C.A. w/ bushing installed = Mevotech branded L.C.A. Bushings and ball joint installed w/ Zerk fitting = MAS branded U.B.J. w/ Zerks = Gabriel Struts = MAS branded Outer Tie rod ends w/ Zerks = MAS brand w/ Zerks Stabilizer Bar Links = Moog Stabilizer Bar Bushing.
So far so good on what i purchased.
One tip i can give is to give the bolts that attach the lower control arm to the frame a good inspection as they can corrode pretty bad in salt ridden winter climates.
If your lucky and there not bad then a good wire brushing and a coat of paint followed by a coating of anti seize when reinstalling would be recommended. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good morning everyone. I still haven’t pulled the trigger on parts. I was going to do Mevotech kit from rock auto, but with everything that needs replaced, it will be around $1k. And I just don’t know how long I’ll have the EXT. it has 190k miles and also needs the fuel tank leak fixed.

I wasdebating on trying Detroit Axle or whatever is cheapest on Amazon. My moms suspension needs rebuilt as well. So I could get 2 kits for the price of Mevotech parts and see if driving style is what murders any part. My mom granny drives. And I drive faster and also have to cross a dried creek bed everyday. I have a sloped driveway in the mountains and have to go pretty fast and bumpy when it snows or is muddy.
I will keep everyone posted on my decision.

does else anyone have positive experience with the off brands?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Detroit undercar parts have a blemished reputation - some people swear by them --- other swear at them. I know that their balljoint kits are rather lightweight - although their CV half shafts are about par with everybody else for quality and longevity.

I like Moog and TRW parts - Delco is always a good choice but is usually a little more spend-y, if you know what I mean.

I use Amazon Smile as my purchasing agent - and so far (10+ years) have had almost zero problems - one was my mistake and another the seller goofed up and took care of it even out of warranty.

I stay away from E-Bay as a religion. I dislike PayPal and I am not sure of their security rating. You may have a totally different experience - whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I am going to start with the bearings/hubs. One side detroit, one side timken. I just don’t know how long I will keep the EXT before getting a 4wd :/

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Detroit undercar parts have a blemished reputation - some people swear by them --- other swear at them. I know that their balljoint kits are rather lightweight - although their CV half shafts are about par with everybody else for quality and longevity.

I like Moog and TRW parts - Delco is always a good choice but is usually a little more spend-y, if you know what I mean.

I use Amazon Smile as my purchasing agent - and so far (10+ years) have had almost zero problems - one was my mistake and another the seller goofed up and took care of it even out of warranty.

I stay away from E-Bay as a religion. I dislike PayPal and I am not sure of their security rating. You may have a totally different experience - whatever floats your boat.
thank you so much for your input!!! I have looked at moog. I will look again.
never heard of trw. Or amazon smile. I will do more research!!! Thank you.:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I am going to get a WJB, Power Stop, or durago. For the money it’s hard to beat. :/ I just don’t want to spend $300 on hubs :/ I doubt I will keep the 2wd much longer before getting a 4wd ext

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought Detroit axel and they seem decent doing mine and mil with them. Bought a strut tower for Taurus with good results.
Did have issue in buying 2 kits only sent me one but shipped 2nd for 2 day delivery without issue

1 - 18 of 18 Posts