Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Chrome Intakes Stage 1 from eBay. I found out after I bought it that people have had horror stories with these not fitting, taking forever to ship, not having the proper hookups necessary.

Lucky for me, mine shipped the next day and took 3 days to get here. Box was great. Took the intake out of the box and saw that there was a grommet for the intake air temperature sensor, as well as a nipple for the vacuum line (that my truck did not have, but I do see it on some other of you guy's trucks) but it had a good firm fitting cap on it. Also included were 2 brackets to bolt the intake to the body and a 1" filter for the PCV tube.

Fitment was fabulous! The tube fit snuggly into the indentation for the stock hose in the washer bottle. With the filter on it, its great and fits perfectly into the place the stock one fit. It took a little finagling to get the IAT sensor into the grommet as it was definitely too small, but in the end, it fit just fine once i stretched the rubber out and put it back in the cut out.

The only qualm I had was that in order to get the 1" filter onto the PCV I needed to goto the hardware store and get a 2" long 1" diameter piece of pipe to use as a joiner. The PCV hose was soft rubber, and the filter obviously can't clamp on to that, esp considering they are the same size. Spend $3 on a piece of copper 1" tubing, and a 1" band clamp and put it on just fine.

So despite the horror stories, I am very impressed with this intake, especially considering it was $35 shipped. On to the pictures:

Big :thumbsup:'s to Chrome Intakes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Here's a stupid question... What is that smaller filter for ? The one that looks like it is connected to something coming out of the fire wall

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
6,943 Posts
Without a heat shield, that thing is utterly useless. Sorry to burst your bubble, but all that's going to do is suck hot air back into the engine.:worried:

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
What's a heat shield ? :confused:
You know the airbox you removed, its a heat shield as it keeps the HOT (aka BAD) air from the filter. You should either hollow out your stock airbox or fab one up with some sheet metal. Look at the K&N or Airaid CAIs for ideas. It makes a difference after a long trip and you get off the interstate and hit the gas, TB becomes a slug, believe me.

·
Registered
837 Posts
exactly...that's why i got the k&n intake...comes with a heat shield but it is still not that great of one...the intake is large and fits directly into the factory position is another reason why i went with the K&N (also got it for $213)...i think the chrome looks good under there on yours so if you don't really care about horsepower gain or loudening your exhaust then i wouldn't worry about it...great install too:thumbsup:

here is mine (excuse the dirt we've been in a drought for a while and the truck does have 96+K on it)...the black piece around the air filter is what the heat shield looks like

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Without a heat shield, that thing is utterly useless. Sorry to burst your bubble, but all that's going to do is suck hot air back into the engine.:worried:

Thats why I gutted the airbox today and screwed back over it :)

I just want to say that I'm not a noob at this engine stuff.

Thats the motor for my 10 second 2002 GTI that I did everything, and i mean EVERYTHING myself except for the rollbar, and the machine work on the block. I did the valve job, trans build + diff install, wiring, motor build, plumbing, etc all myself :p

It came down to price for that intake and for the price you can't beat it. I might end up fabbing up a heatshield or just lining the inside of the stock airbox now that its gutted with some aluminum flashing. The Trailvoy is to tow this:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's a stupid question... What is that smaller filter for ? The one that looks like it is connected to something coming out of the fire wall
Its the PCV. On almost, if not all new cars, the PCV is vented back into the intake tract. This really is the leading cause of rough idle after a while because that oil vapor will collect and gum up on the throttle body butterfly.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Its the PCV. On almost, if not all new cars, the PCV is vented back into the intake tract. This really is the leading cause of rough idle after a while because that oil vapor will collect and gum up on the throttle body butterfly.
Umm, the I6s dont have a serviceable PCV system, it is located between the 3rd and 4th intake runners on the drivers side. You are hooking that filter into the AIR system, newer emissions junk GM added in 04.

Nice GTI engine man, my friends in the middle of rebuilding an 83 Audi Coupe Quattro with a 10V I5 with a much larger than stock turbo. :D He is talking about now just using the I5 to get it running then swap it for an older Audi V8...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Umm, the I6s dont have a serviceable PCV system, it is located between the 3rd and 4th intake runners on the drivers side. You are hooking that filter into the AIR system, newer emissions junk GM added in 04.

Nice GTI engine man, my friends in the middle of rebuilding an 83 Audi Coupe Quattro with a 10V I5 with a much larger than stock turbo. :D He is talking about now just using the I5 to get it running then swap it for an older Audi V8...
Thanks. Thats sweet! I'm running a GT3071 for now to get it all straightened out. I plan on moving to a Dodge Omni 3 speed auto next year and going for the 8's with a GT4094R.

And you learn something every day regarding the PCV.

I don't now if i'm imagining it or what, but since i put the gutted airbox back on the truck... its feels a LOT better. Seems to just go when I touch the pedal. Maybe its placebo but the butt dyno feels SOMETHING.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another question. Is removing the 'Vortec' box on top of the motor and going straight to the throttle body worth it? I notice NO difference in noise with the box still on there but I'm assuming cuz thats essentially an airbox in the traditional sense.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Another question. Is removing the 'Vortec' box on top of the motor and going straight to the throttle body worth it? I notice NO difference in noise with the box still on there but I'm assuming cuz thats essentially an airbox in the traditional sense.

that is the intake resonator and with it still on you will notice no difference in sound or power for that matter

I have the K&N FIPK that goes all the way to the throttle body and I hollowed out the bottom of the "vortec" cover and put it back on... looks alot better and less ugly without it.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
714 Posts
it doestn' quite look like it fits right, the filter looks like it doesnt sit in that groove?? I may be mistaking.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think the stage two goes all the way to the throttle body :undecided Stage three uses a genuine K&N filter :undecided From what I remember when I was researching those.
I know the stage2 goes all the way to the throttle body, stage 3 i don't know.

it doestn' quite look like it fits right, the filter looks like it doesnt sit in that groove?? I may be mistaking.

It actually fits in there EXACTLY perfect. Dunno if its the angle or what but the one side in the pic doesn't look right.

·
Registered
107 Posts
exactly...that's why i got the k&n intake...comes with a heat shield but it is still not that great of one...the intake is large and fits directly into the factory position is another reason why i went with the K&N (also got it for $213)...i think the chrome looks good under there on yours so if you don't really care about horsepower gain or loudening your exhaust then i wouldn't worry about it...great install too:thumbsup:

here is mine (excuse the dirt we've been in a drought for a while and the truck does have 96+K on it)...the black piece around the air filter is what the heat shield looks like

Ahhh I gotcha !:thumbsup: Thanks !!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts