Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try those cheap air intakes on eBay wounder if there just as good as the big shoots (airaid) There like 25 to 30 bucks. Cant justify spending hundreds of dollars on a pipe clamps and filter. Let me know if anyone tried them.....

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
425 Posts
i assume you are talking about something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-03-04-05-TRAILBLAZER-ENVOY-BRAVADA-4-2L-AIR-INTAKE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1171Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem56312c764aQQitemZ370192184906QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

they do not remove the air resonator. they only replace the tube part. so it is going to very very very little if any for you truck.
dont do it they are a scam.

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
7,255 Posts
all the resonator really does is keep it quiet. So, if it is noticeable sounds that you want, you'll need to go to an auto parts store and buy a length of extension tubing. Otherwise, it is comparable. The metal tube doesn't dissipate heat as well as plastic, and I would recommend that you reuse/ modify the stock airbox, but I am happy with mine and did motice a difference in performance.

modified airbox

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
1,061 Posts
yeap i have the same one picture by ChromeIntakes and im satisfied with it. I also gutted the airbox.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
538 Posts
just bought one frome chromeintakes today it looks good. i was looking for something to delete the res. and this is what i found. hope it works and sounds good and easy to install

·
Registered
117 Posts
i just bought one of the cheap intakes, and it is coming next week. and someone said, this 'kit' does not require to take the air resonator off and if you leave it on, the intake is pointless... how do i/what do i need to get from auto zone to delete the resonator and make it loud and work well?

·
Registered
281 Posts
i got one from chromeintakes also. love it. did the gutt out air box mod too. but i also took off the resonator and bought a bypass tube from autozone and 2 clamps. sounds nice when i hit the rpm to 4k. worth the 30 bucks from ebay.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
4 Posts
Hey i got one of these installed...notice performance increase but 'Service engine Soon' light came on......Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
41 Posts
May be a stupid question, but how do the sensors connect? I believe there is a MAF sensor in the stock plastic tube, but I'm not seeing anywhere to mount them in the chromeintake part.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Trailvoys didn't get MAF sensors until after my year, so that's an IAT sensor. The vendor should have given you provision to install it, or you got it so cheaply that you have to drill and fab a mount yourself.

edward93: What's your code?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
41 Posts
IAT sensor = Intake Air Temp???

I didn't buy a knock off air intake yet, but am considering it. I'm not looking for performance as much as fuel economy. I've cleaned throttle body, replced air filter, plugs and gas filter, and I'm still lucky if I get 15 mpg mixed driving. I'm hoping that a new, somewhat less restrictive intake will help a bit.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Contrary to the claims, an intake isn't going to substantially alter your fuel economy by itself. You'll get slightly more air into the cylinders, which the PCM will accomodate by adding a touch more fuel to achieve the correct clean burn. Depending upon driving habits, it could potentially lower fuel economy.

The ONLY two modifications that I've found to measurably help fuel economy and performance were a TUNE and and combination of an intake/exhaust. Engines are big air pumps, reduce the restriction in/out and it helps them move more air. (But more air = more fuel, so it really doesn't affect mileage much). A tune tweaks the fuel for bettery efficiency and adds timing, which in turn raises static compression, making more power for the same amount of air and fuel......translation better mileage if you don't constantly use it. (If you lead food around and race off every light, it will obviously be counter productive).

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
7 Posts
Ebay intake differences from 03-05, then 06 and above..

New to the site.. Need a little advice/help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice DIY!!

I notice you dont have a MAF.. the problem Im having is I have searched around on here about the ebay intake etc but havent seen anything on how any member placed a hole for the MAF to insert in the intake tube..

I ordered the ebay intake last week, just got it in.. Now all I have is a chrome intake pipe, filter, 1in filter, clamps etc, and 2 braces..

The pipe has about a 1in circular hole.. WTF is that for? How does that help me? The MAF is rectangular, so do I need to dremel my own hole in the intake?

Do you recommend placing another gasket on the intake as well??

I see 05 and below probably have an IAT sensor and not a MAF sensor.. So I have to probably dremel the shape outta the intake?

If I dont get a response Im going to make a better thread on the Ebay intake for DIY, because its not as simple for 06 models with a huge MAF...

·
Registered
103 Posts
So ive been poking around on ebay lately and i found a kit on there that looks like the kit posted earlier except for the fact that in the picture the resonator is definately REMOVED. I believe the kit was like 80 bucks which is still waaaaay cheaper than k&n or others. My question i guess is has anybody seen or used one of these and also sound wise how much louder will it really be without the resonator. I dont really want it A LOT louder but a noticeable sound would be fine. I also plan on doing like a 50 series flowmaster. I want to have my trailblazer sound as close as i can to my full size chevy truck with flowmaster 40 series rumble. Any advise would be awesome!:thx

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
1,061 Posts
they make 2 different kits. 1 that bolts to the resonator box and the 2nd that bolts to the actual throttle body.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yea i have seen both kits. But im just curious as to how much louder the truck will be with the resonator out of it. I dont want it too too loud because i will be putting a 50 series muffler on it soon.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yea i have seen both kits. But im just curious as to how much louder the truck will be with the resonator out of it. I dont want it too too loud because i will be putting a 50 series muffler on it soon.
ive got chromeintakes intake and a flowmaster 50 series suv and i dont hear my intake anymore that much

1 - 20 of 32 Posts