Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
How to: Remove front bumper and remove power steering cooler

remove the grill assembly. it just pulls right off, on bolts or screws.

next, there is two bolts, and a plastic clip on top of the bumper cover. unscrew the bolts and pry loose the plastic clip (the center prys up and it lifts out).

on the under side of the center of the bumper there are plastic clips that just push on there there are 6 of them. pull down on the center of the cover and they pop right out.

on the bottom of the bumper cover there are plastic clips on the passenger side and driver side at the bottom in fron of the wheel. pry those loose as you did on the top of the bumper.

finally there are clips on the top inside of the driver side and passenger side, that are under the wheel well. push in on the tabs and push the cover toward the fron of the truck.

then all you have to do is pick the bumper up off the front of the truck and set it to the side.

now, take the styrofoam pad off the top of the bumper. set it to the side.

there are two bolts on the top of the bumper, remove those. lift the bumper off and set it to the side.

there are two bolts on either side of the cooler. remove those and the cooler will fall. lift it up and zip tie the passenger side as high up on the frame horn as possible.

there are two lines going into the cooler on the driver side. they just have clamps on them that can be removed by squeezing them with plyers. remove the lines, and drain the fluid into a can or container. Cut the zip tie and the removeal is complete.

took me little less than half an hour to remove, and less than that to install. after you follow the steps in reverse to put everything back together. fill the pupm with fluid, turn the wheels all the way left and right to remove the air, check the level of the fluid, top off as needed, and it is done! new power steering fluid cooler!

Attachments

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Appreciate the how to and the pics. What took it out do you think? Salt corrosion from being near the ocean? Or did a rock jump up and hit it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks! although i would of rather had the steps with the pics :undecided well, from what i can see of it it just looks like flat out corrosion. be it from the salt air, or just from the humid climate. what i cannot understand is why it isnt made from aluminum or some kind of metal other than steel:hopeless guess that is something that will be never revealed to us :weird:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
9 Posts
Thaks

This is awesome. Thanks for the pics. Mine's leaking from the center. and I think I'm going to just pay my buddy 25$ an hour to do it. I don't have the time. It's crazy. Everything I seem to need is right here on this site. People here aren't like other forums, You people really know you're 360/370's.

Thanks,

jwango

·
Registered
2005 isuzu ascender
5 Posts
Great post......!!!

Just found my leak was coming from the cooler where the line loops back into cooler. Thanks for the simple instructions. Part cost like 20 bucks at Auto Zone and i am going to replace mine this weekend......will post pics soon!!!!:woot:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
17 Posts
Just found my leak was coming from the cooler where the line loops back into cooler. Thanks for the simple instructions. Part cost like 20 bucks at Auto Zone and i am going to replace mine this weekend......will post pics soon!!!!:woot:
can i have the link mine also ruptured from corrusion and i need a replacement asap

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
5 Posts
2003 TBlazer EXT LT 4WD - Steering cooler

My pump has developed a bad whine - I don't know if it will recover. This problem has been going on for a while, and this gas glutton is only used for special missions at this point (2009 BMW335D for most drives). From your post I made the discovery that the cooler was leaking after saying to myself, hmmmm....that's strange. It looks like the passenger side BUMPER is leaking copious amounts of STEERING FLUID. Very odd, I thought to myself, until I was able to see that such an animal as the cooler exists. Why doesn't Rock Auto carry this? I have to pull it apart yet, but I'm guessing that if the cooler is supplied from the driver's side like the great how-to, then this is not a line issue and the cooler has crapped the bed, so to speak. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
2003 P/S oil cooler

Being a fat man, I had to spend a few minutes laying on the ground, digesting my leftover chinese food from breakfast and staring at the site of the offending leak, before I could proceed. In spite of this unproductive contemplative activity, thanks to yet another excellent member repair walkthrough, I was down to unbolting the rotted and leaking cooler in under 20 minutes! Previously I used yet another walkthrough to pull the axles and replace the rear backing plates in record time. Without the walkthrough, I might have screwed up the diff cluster royally. During the time the diff pin is out of the cluster, no turning the diff gears! In any case, I used the BuyGMPartsWorldwide.com website for the cooler, and saved about 40 bucks, so its been a good day so far. Now, if only I could get a job...

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
1 Posts
Larry,
You sure did a great job in your write up and photos showing how to change out the power steering cooler! Really appreciate all your hard work, you saved me a bunch of time. I had the old one off in about 45 minutes. Really disappointed in the rust problems I have had on this 2003 with Transmission Line rust and now the Power Steering Cooler leaking with about 115,000 miles and I bought it new. No corrosion on body, but several things on the bottom side look far worse that the bottom of my 55 Chev!
Thanks again,
Unk
:tiphat

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
6 Posts
What was involved in mounting the Autozone unit? It looks nothing like the factory one and looks like you would have to extend the lines to wrap around and reach the cooler when the factory cooler has lines that wrap around to meet the hoses.maybe getting he old one off was the easy part?:undecided

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
6 Posts
well how about just bypassing it and just connecting the lines together? Cant really see a need to cool the powersteering fluid anyway,dont know of any other cars or trucks that have them or am i wrong?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
2 Posts
remove the grill assembly. it just pulls right off, on bolts or screws.

next, there is two bolts, and a plastic clip on top of the bumper cover. unscrew the bolts and pry loose the plastic clip (the center prys up and it lifts out).

on the under side of the center of the bumper there are plastic clips that just push on there there are 6 of them. pull down on the center of the cover and they pop right out.

on the bottom of the bumper cover there are plastic clips on the passenger side and driver side at the bottom in fron of the wheel. pry those loose as you did on the top of the bumper.

finally there are clips on the top inside of the driver side and passenger side, that are under the wheel well. push in on the tabs and push the cover toward the fron of the truck.

then all you have to do is pick the bumper up off the front of the truck and set it to the side.

now, take the styrofoam pad off the top of the bumper. set it to the side.

there are two bolts on the top of the bumper, remove those. lift the bumper off and set it to the side.

there are two bolts on either side of the cooler. remove those and the cooler will fall. lift it up and zip tie the passenger side as high up on the frame horn as possible.

there are two lines going into the cooler on the driver side. they just have clamps on them that can be removed by squeezing them with plyers. remove the lines, and drain the fluid into a can or container. Cut the zip tie and the removeal is complete.

took me little less than half an hour to remove, and less than that to install. after you follow the steps in reverse to put everything back together. fill the pupm with fluid, turn the wheels all the way left and right to remove the air, check the level of the fluid, top off as needed, and it is done! new power steering fluid cooler!
where do you get the replacement parts
:)

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
42 Posts
Finding a replacement is a challenge. Do you think a generic tranny cooler would do the trick? Looking for the cheap way out, aside from doing a rubber hose loop.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
17 Posts
any fluid cooler will do the job I am currently using a Perma-cool aluminum fluid cooler (to permenatly fix the rusting issue) i found on summit racing it is no longer on sale there sadly but it was the same length as the stock one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I called half dozen parts stores and all of them offered a generic replacement unit. I had first tried to add it without all of the tear down, but no joy. The next thing that I faced was how to attach the unit to the front of the radiator using the special plastic pins that would press in between the fins from the back side as per instruction sheet. Guess what, you cant reach the back side of the radiator. I took out my angle grinder with a cutoff wheel and zipped through the old unit by the driver side mount, right at the spot where the lines went into it. This gave me good tubes for hooking up the rubber hoses and clamps. At the passenger side end, I cut the old cooler off leaving about 6" attached to the mount. I attached the new cooler to the front of the old stub and had no problem fitting any parts during reassembly.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
42 Posts
I visited the dealer for a price, and $190 is way to high to spend at this time. I went to my local NAPA store, and he had a 5"x12" tranny cooler, made our of aluminum, for a mere $35 bucks. Sold!
As for attaching it via the straps through the radiator and condenser, I unscrewed the screws at the top for the shroud/Rad and rad/condenser. That allowed enough movement room so that the rad and condenser could be separated enough to get a hand in there and feed the strap through the condenser. Job complete. Not to bad od=f a job either, just weird that you gotta take off the front end to get access.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
1 Posts
170,000 miles and my bumper started leaking fluid, first a drip then a blow out of the cooler! No way it was getting a new one.

6' of 3/8 brake line, bent a 180 deg. "U" in half then a couple of back bends and clamped. $20 plus fluid.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
1 Posts
Money Pit

I'm in the process of replacing virtually every part on this POS 2003 Envoy. Will NEVER buy another GM product again! Pure JUNK.

I drove a 1998 Honda CRV into the ground 190,000 replaced 3 timing belts
and tires. I can see why people buy foreign cars.

In just the last year - A/C compressor, Fan, major suspension parts, gas tubes for rear deck lid and windows. A couple of years ago 2 water pumps every stepper motor in dash, front rotors the list goes on.

I do appreciate the posts here as I'd be out thousands more than I already am.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts