Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an LS1 Fan Module Brand new through GM (discounted was still around $300) and installed them in my SS..after a solid 2 day installation (I am slow..work with me here) I used a torco Fan controller ($34.99 Autozone) a relay & various wires from 12-18gauge, connectors, etc.etc. total project was around $390 or so (not counting the updated tuning from Westers/TuneTime).. everything works like clockwork, temps stay around 192-203 either 1 or both fans going, w/AC on, in traffic, 80+ here.. I am in a rush to go to work but I will post pics and explain further what eles I did like the 2 switched inside, 1 for 2nd fan kill the other a manual "on" override for the track...

Fan wieghs 10lbs exactly, multiply that by the resistance of the blades/Clutch and the recip. weight/Drag, I think I picked up at least 10RWHP..Dyno in a couple weeks...

** all temps were read by HP Tuners & the voltage was a little low (I have an overdrive Alternator pulley coming to offset the underdrive's slower spin) never cam close to be critical even with Lights/Stereo/A/C on all at idle, dropped but not "critical" I am being cautious as I want my Bat/Alt to last for a while, I'll let you know the results of the overdrive pulley sometime next week, should be here by monday..

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gotta clean up the truck, it's filthy, dirty/sweaty hands all over the inside:mad: ....also the switches are round led one is red other is green ( green, when the 2nd fan is on, red is manual override on)

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Wow, nice custom work Tony. Install looks very clean and the switches are barely noticeable. Looking forward to the dyno comparisons :)

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
3,716 Posts
Does anyone know if that shroud on the front will fit my EXT? Im talking about the one that has the hold down for the hood prop rod.

·
Registered
170 Posts
That looks almost factory, Good job! I wish I had the mechanical knowledge to even attempt that! I think that the only option for someone like me is to get the drop in kit from ADM and get that package Ive been hearing about (CAI, Tune, E-Fans) and...maby the new big brake kit too!:D

·
Registered
550 Posts
awesome tony, simply awesome! that is a real clean install. nice job and get those dyno #'s soon! i need play back here and get all these start up mods now! man i want that induction and those fans!

todd

·
Registered
2006 chevy
284 Posts
Will this mod work without having to touch the computer? Do I have to modify the computer? When you say module, is that the 2-fan assembly complete from GM?
This is something I would like to do as well. Thank you.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Sweet, thanks for posting um some pics man. I like the manual override dealeo, should be really nice for the track days or for towing.

I wonder with the manual override how this would compare to the ADM setup while towing. I wish I could chuck the clutch on my 02, but neither EFI nor HP can tune for the removed fan.

Ohh, and superchargersonline.com has the MagnaCharger kit for the SS in polished and satin. About 6K.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks good, nice install.

Dude!! :eek: Where the heck are your mats? :no:

:cool:
my all weather mats are harsh to lean on, I pulled them, they're back in..

I will be making some changes (minor clean ups) like painting or getting black screws, bolts for the brackets/Relays so they look factory, and a new lower dash piece, the pic doesn't show it well but I F****d up the plastci around the switches (Crazy glued them in, flush fit but it stained the edge some, I get crazy about these things!, plus I scratched it up)

you don't NEED the computer modded, but you wil get a cel w/o it..I have one now (for no signal from the fan) it should get fixed Monday/Tuesday, when I CAN GET FLASHED.. Like I said before, only ONE fan kept the truck cooler than 205 (mostly around 198-203), 2 fans brought it down to 192 with the 187* thermostat..that's factory, SLP has a 160, but I am not wanting to go that low, maybe a 180, that's it.. fans are quiet, even both on at idle & when they're off!!! man that LS2 sounds sweet:D ..

Remember the CEL is not the "reduced power" light..CEL does not affect performance, so if you did this mod and had to wait for tuning it's no big deal...

From what I hear TTP/Wester's is working on an ECM controlled dual fan setup, where you can buy the ECM control with or w/o fans, don't give up just yet... $799 is alot for the E-Fan, no knock on them but I was not willing to do that once I found out it's not "that" difficult to work out..When the ECM controller is ready, I will ditch the external fan controller I have, but keep the override switches..

No for Some LT's & a converter and I am SET:yes: ..

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am sure if you already have a tune by someone they would just do it for free, but if you need just that?? I would say you should let them fully tune the truck, for whatever you feel comfortable paying.. Wester's, Vector, ADM all good reputable companies from what i've read & seen (I of course am partial to TuneTimePerformance, my friend's company, he does great work/customer service) I would suggest this mod as it takes care of that annoing Clutch fan, besides it robbing power & putting more strain on the engine (spin it by hand when it's off, it's heavy as hell), and it "Free's" up HP the engine is already making, like a set of headers..I will help anyone needing it by this thread or PM, it's not too hard, I would say on a scale of 1-10 it's a 4, just time consuming if you do it right & don't cut corners, you can taylor things to your specific taste with respect to wiring, mounting brackets (Matt fabbed them up after a trip to the hardware store) I took time finding the exact switches I wanted (factory look, low profile), etc.

I can't stress how well the LS1 Fans fit & operate, minimal trimming to the topof the shroud and it fit snug into the channel of the radiator, side to side is almost perfect, no modding neccesary, maybe an inch short on either side & the shroud is no more than 1/4-1/2 off the radiator so no need to make "sides" so the air is drawn through better, sucks your hand off from outside the grill when they're on..

another note, liner from the hood? don't bother removing it, I was seeing idle IAT's in the low 120-122 range after 20min idle around 1PM on an 82* day:eek: ..although once moving even slowly they dropped to 90*, which is an acolade for the CAI form TuneTimePerformance, next mod I think will be relocating the IAT sensor or having Lyndon take any timing retard related to IAT out below 120, as the engine is really seeing cooler air than that at any off idle condition, I heard these Sensors are slow to react? Wouldn't recover before your 1/4 run was almost over..I believe it after seeing how it takes more than 13 seconds to drop a significant amount..

1 - 20 of 62 Posts