Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4.2L v6 and i want to do away with the ugly looking resonator, if i cut that off and put a stainless steel tip will there be a lot of drone to it?

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
I've done it to mine. I really don't have any drone. It's a little louder, and that I like. But I wouldn't call it a drone. :m2:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
41 Posts
when u floor it its def louder but when ur going normal speed it gives a hummm its not that annoying but it def is louder when u cut it off i cut my off right where the metal thing welded to it is so if i wanna add a tip itll come out the side i think it would look cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really want to cut off that stupid resonator and put a nice stainless steel tip but i don't really know if i would like that soud to it after viewing the clips.

The only thing i like about it is that when you take off it sounds a lot better, but i don't know if i would like it when your in idle or in low rpms. Does it get a little quieter when your in idle for awhile?

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_slt
413 Posts
Hey Dannnny... I cut off my resonator and had a 12" glass pack with a chrome tip put in it's place. It looks and sounds great with NO DRONE! I had a local muffler shop do it and they charged me $100 for the whole job. BTW that was my first and favorite mod. Lose that CAN MAN!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
182 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, i most likely may end up doing this mod.

Trail-Boy- that video you posted up is that an I6 4.2L because i like the way that sounds on your video.

maybe it will sound a lot better in person then looking at these videos

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
62 Posts
i would for sure suggest going with a stainless tip...i live in nebraska and they salt and gravel the hell out of the roads this time of year and it makes it way easier to keep looking good with the stainless as opposed to my buddy who had to have crome...and 2 years later his is pretty dinged up and started to look less than new and mine with a good wipe down still looks close to new

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
41 Posts
mine sounds good when it starts its not really thatt loud but it does have a lil hum to it..... before i cut it was silent on idle... his is much louder then mine i dunno if its cause the tip or what

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
363 Posts
Dannnny240sx said:
Trail-Boy- that video you posted up is that an I6 4.2L because i like the way that sounds on your video.
Yes, it's a 4.2L. Totally stock. I can put up a few more videos if you're interested.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
81 Posts
i have been thinking about this my self.. can someone please tell me what exactly the resonator does? I am worried for some reason about losing something that was meant to be there lol

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
i have been thinking about this my self.. can someone please tell me what exactly the resonator does? I am worried for some reason about losing something that was meant to be there lol
It does exactly what the name implies...it stops resonance, or a "drone" from the exhaust. Removing it will make the exhaust louder, but also might make things in the truck start buzzing.
It won't improve power or MPG in any amount that you will feel or be able to measure.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
81 Posts
It does exactly what the name implies...it stops resonance, or a "drone" from the exhaust. Removing it will make the exhaust louder, but also might make things in the truck start buzzing.
It won't improve power or MPG in any amount that you will feel or be able to measure.
Oo ok so doing a full cat back exhaust would be a better route

1 - 20 of 34 Posts