Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dreaded drone has come to bite me. I have the 03 i6 blazer with a series 10 flow master dueled into echo tips. Amazing gain in mpg and power but now I have a little one coming and my wife is not wanting to put ear muffs on the baby every time we take the blazer. I know I'll probably have to get rid of the tips and go with a straight pipe to overcome the echo issue but muffler wise, is there a muffler that will not give as loud of a drone as the flow masters without making it sound more like a lawnmower and less like a Chevy should sound?

·
Banned
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
137 Posts
I've been putting off exhaust mod bc I am hesistant to any drone (its not a race car). Some say even aftermarket resonators create a drone and others say the straight pipe w muffler, u pick, passes the wife test. Idk to each their own. Im afraid the drone will suck eventually during all day drives chasing the powder.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
61 Posts
Now i'm not sure i'm gonna say this 100% correct but here it goes. i have a neighbor wit a 99 blazer (v6 vortec) who recently had the same problem he also had flowmaster mufflers his were what i think was called a 2 chamber he took th two chamber muffler off and replaced it with a flowmaster 3 chamber his truck still has a little rumble to it but its not half as loud as it was. he stated his mileage and power stayed the same or at least he didnt notice a change in the two mufflers except sound

·
Banned
2009 saab
138 Posts
Right now I have a stock exhaust with the resonator cut off and a straight pipe with a tip on the end. I have a slight drone in the cabin around 2000 rpm. The super 10 series flowmaster is made to have an aggressive exterior sound and you will notice this in the cabin while driving as well. If you would like to stay with flowmaster, I would recommend the Super 50. It will still give a stock sound with minimal drone in the cabin. You will also retain the performance of a flowmaster without the sound.

·
Banned
2009 saab
138 Posts
Does anyone know if you get a drown from just changing stock cat to a flowmaster cat?
All catalytic converters have to be made to USEPA standard. The purpose of the converter is to convert toxic byproducts of combustion in the exhaust to less toxic substances by way of catalysed chemical reactions. This leaves little room for performance gains. I used to have an import car and changed my stock converter to a straight through pipe or "test pipe". That was the only time I noticed a louder drone from my exhaust.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right now I have a stock exhaust with the resonator cut off and a straight pipe with a tip on the end. I have a slight drone in the cabin around 2000 rpm. The super 10 series flowmaster is made to have an aggressive exterior sound and you will notice this in the cabin while driving as well. If you would like to stay with flowmaster, I would recommend the Super 50. It will still give a stock sound with minimal drone in the cabin. You will also retain the performance of a flowmaster without the sound.
I have seen on here that the 50 hasn't worked for some people that the drone is still bad. I went with the 10 in the first place to make it as unrestricted as possible I didn't care about volume really just necessary in the state I was living in at the time to have a muffler. Do you know of people who have the 50 in their tb that say the drone is non existant or relatively low?

·
Banned
2009 saab
138 Posts
I have seen on here that the 50 hasn't worked for some people that the drone is still bad. I went with the 10 in the first place to make it as unrestricted as possible I didn't care about volume really just necessary in the state I was living in at the time to have a muffler. Do you know of people who have the 50 in their tb that say the drone is non existant or relatively low?
The 50 series would also depend on the exhaust setup. As you know the purpose of the resonator is to quiet the exhaust. Without a resonator you will still have a drone. Like I posted earlier, I have a stock exhaust with the resonator cut off and have a noticable drone at 2000rpm. My buddy had the 50 on his Blazer ZR2 with duals and the drone in the cab was not bad. Different vehicle, but still has the 4.2L vortec. He also did not have a wife and baby to worry about. I guess your other option would be to put a stock muffler back on the TB or I have seen people add a muffler in place of the resonator as well.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
171 Posts
The DynoMax VT will cure the drone problem. You still get a nice note at full throttle but it quiets down when at part throttle. It also sounds good at idle too.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
142 Posts
The DynoMax VT will cure the drone problem. You still get a nice note at full throttle but it quiets down when at part throttle. It also sounds good at idle too.
I have heard horror stories about the valve clattering on those Vts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts