Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hallo everybody,
I have been reading all kinds of threads about DRL`s, but all are oposit to my problem. Here where I live DRL`s are requiared, but I don`t have this feature in my 2002 TB. Is there any posibility to change something and get the DRL`s to work?
Thank`s
Bubbla

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
If they're required, how was the vehicle ever sold there?

As far as I know, all trailvoys in US and Canada had DRL active, even in 2002. The Owner's Manual supports that.

It may take dealer reprogramming the BCM to add the feature if it was disabled in Sweden. What is the part number printed on the top of your Relay #46 in the under-hood fuse block?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
44 Posts
So I had a similar question and sent a thread about dimming head lights... this seems simiiar to it.. I still don't know what the h#$% is a SRL?? could someone explaine it to me.:confused:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
If you have a problem with headlights getting dimmer as they age, this isn't at all related.

As for the acronym, if you mean DRL, it's Daytime Running Lights. Google is your friend for any terms you're unsure about.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank`s for the quick answer Roadi, I got that car in Germany ther the DRL is not requiered. About the part number- I will check it tomorow and come back with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Roadie,
The relay #46 has the number ETN 15016745 on it. It`s the same like #45
Does it tell you something?
regards Bubbla

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
That is a solid state relay, meaning it has a semiconductor as the switch inside instead of a mechanical relay. The reason they used that in the low beam power circuit was to support the DRL feature.

Many vehicles run the DRL circuit to put the low beam lamps in series instead of parallel. With a series connection, each one gets 6-7V instead of full 12-14V.

Trailvoys are different. The BCM sends a square wave signal, on/off/on/off, at a frequency too fast to see, and that goes to the solid state relay to turn the low beam lamp on/off/on/off and you never see the flicker. This is the reason that if you install HIDs, you need to disable the DRL feature because the power supplies of the HIDs are extremely unhappy to be driven with a varying voltage instead of a steady one.

So if your vehicle has the solid state relay, I have to assume that the DRL feature has been disabled in the BCM configuration, and that's a dealer tech tool function. I recommend calling your local dealer and ask about activating it.

If they claim no knowledge of that, and you're still required to have a DRL function, I could design a circuit for you. Let's see what the dealer says first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Roadie, thank you for the information. I will call the shop and ask them about the problem, and then we see what`s next.
Regards
Bubbla

1 - 8 of 8 Posts