Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I am trying to decide whether to get the DRL Killer module, or use the HID's as DRL's w/a relay. I am leaning toward using them as DRL's for safety sake. I drive my wife and kids around in the truck. I know it kills the bulbs faster. I figure, if it prevents one person from crashing into me because he saw me coming, how much is my family's safety worth? My question is does anyone have a picture of the HID's on during the daylight hours? Are the headlights noticeable or am I throwing money out the window by keeping them on all the time? Thanks.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
1,529 Posts
I may have a pic in my gallery, but yes they are plenty noticeable in the daytime. I have a relay to keep mine on and I would use them but I usually have my fogs on only cause I like the look better

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
4,074 Posts
I always just flip the switch off during the day(unless it's rainy/foggy, of course), before I put the TB in gear, I dunno why, but DRLs bug the hell outta me. I mean hello if you don't see my TB coming down the road what makes you think they will pay attention to our DRLs? Just :m2:.

·
Registered
2007 chevy
130 Posts
DRLs off parks on

I actually turn off my DRLs and turn on my switchbacks during the day. They are pretty bright white and then flash to amber when signaling. Mine are the 20 SMT type led

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ls
154 Posts
:bonk:sorry guys to ask you this, but what exactly does the DRL killer do, is it a switch or something? and whats the relay do? and is it a plug and play type of thing? any links to buying the correct ones for my TB would be greatful

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
432 Posts
All,

I am trying to decide whether to get the DRL Killer module, or use the HID's as DRL's w/a relay. I am leaning toward using them as DRL's for safety sake. I drive my wife and kids around in the truck. I know it kills the bulbs faster. I figure, if it prevents one person from crashing into me because he saw me coming, how much is my family's safety worth? My question is does anyone have a picture of the HID's on during the daylight hours? Are the headlights noticeable or am I throwing money out the window by keeping them on all the time? Thanks.
Well, you say it burns out bulbs faster. Yes, this is true if you're running halogen bulbs. If you run HIDs, they will probably outlast your car (if you get a DRL killer or DRL kit). They work completely different from a standard incandescent halogen bulb. They work more like a fluorescent bulb, a ballast regulates how much power goes through a tube filled with gas that causes the gas to arc and light up (I know fluorescents are very different since they have mercury, phosphorus and argon. Just making a relation here.). Incandescent bulbs use a thin piece of tungsten, pass electricity through it and waste power as heat to make the filament "white hot." They break much more easily; even a simple speed bump could cause the filament to pop out. If you go HID, you will not go back. Much better light output, greater life, more reliability, I could go on. I guess I'll stop it there. I would go with DRL kit to have them on during the day. I doubt you "need" them on during the day since cars are pretty noticeable in broad daylight. But, I think it makes Trailvoys look pretty sweet. You'll be pleased.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
110 Posts
Quick question on this topic guys.
If we already have DRL's and still want them, do we just install the HID kit and be done with it? Will the DRL's still function as normal but with the HID's?
Thanks

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
110 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
432 Posts
Great thread thanks. So in order to keep DRL's at full power and retain ALC choose the capacitor method.
Has anyone or is it possible to attach the DRL's to the high beams instead? Would it eliminate or create more work?
Thanks again
Well, when you see cars with DRLs in their highbeams, the bulbs are running at about 50% power or less. If they were at 100%, even during the day it would be extremely distracting. Just get the DRL mod done and you'll be good to go. I think the HIDs look better than halogens, even during the day.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
327 Posts
Well, when you see cars with DRLs in their highbeams, the bulbs are running at about 50% power or less. If they were at 100%, even during the day it would be extremely distracting. Just get the DRL mod done and you'll be good to go. I think the HIDs look better than halogens, even during the day.
I disagree. First off DRLs run at approx 70%. I run my DRLs with HIDs at 100% ALL the time with NO problems without them being distracting. Its daytime out, the sun overpowers ANY HID, If its raining out then you should have your headlights on (not just drl) anyway. (State law in Maine says the headlight must be on when wipers are active.

Great thread thanks. So in order to keep DRL's at full power and retain ALC choose the capacitor method.
Yes the Capacitor mod will do exactly what you are looking to do.

Has anyone or is it possible to attach the DRL's to the high beams instead? Would it eliminate or create more work?
IIRC ts been discussed but I dont think it was ever done.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
29 Posts
Thanks again
do I just need to buy a 10uf 25v capacitor on ebay? They are like 3 bucks for 10 of them...then just attach the + to the pink/white wire and then find a ground near the wire (or is there a ground in that harness already) and attach the - to it? Is that it?

While im in there, im going to hook up the quad beams as well...just want to make sure I have the story straight

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
327 Posts
He's talking about the vehicles that use HIGH beams for the DRL's... vehicles like the S-10's and such... Not our trucks
oops. I was still half asleep when I read that. Sorry. Bigapple is 100% correct. Luberti, dont buy the capacitor from ebay. They're like 1.99 at radioshack. But yes, solder it to the wire and find a good ground.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts