Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 EXT with just under 150k miles. When I started this adventure the
rig still had the factory struts and sway bar, with 20"rims.

After a few years of owning it, I noticed a clunk coming from the drivers front wheel well when I went over a bump or pot hole. As an experienced Hobby mechanic, i replaced the sway bar bushings. Didn't help it a bit. :x

Next, I decided the struts where probably worn out, both from time and the larger rims. So I went to Rock Auto and got the Monroe struts, and a spring compressor, and swapped it out. I noticed while i was doing it that the upper strut mounts were pretty well worn, so I replaced those too. now it sounded like wet sneakers on a polished floor. Squeaking VERY loudly out of both sides. :bonk:

I realized this was because I didn't replace the lower spring isolators, and didn't clean the spring very well. So i bought new isolators and installed them yesterday. the clunk is still on the driver side and the passenger side sounds like a really old box spring!

I can fix the squeaking, but why am I getting the clunking? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
12 Posts
Clunking noise

I just replaced shocks & struts on my 2002 Envoy. Ordered all 4 swaybar end links & bushings, put the rears on, fronts are on back order. (I had been getting that clunking sound too) What I found when replacing the passenger front strut assembly is the upper ball joint is completely worn out and is probably the cause of that clunking noise.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,245 Posts
You say you replaced the sway bar bushings, did you inspect the end links for wear or looseness? The clunking sounds like loose or failed end links.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did inspect the sway bar links. and they looked good. definitely not too loose or anything. I didn't look at the upper ball joints. going to do that next time i get the chance.
Any way to tell if they are bad without taking the front end apart again?
:thx:thx

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
12 Posts
end links

You might want to try removing one of the links to confirm they are not loose, mine look ok but are sloppy. The rubber boot failed on both of my upper ball joints, passenger side worn & loose, driver side still tight. That passenger side ball joint was so loose that you could feel looseness with the front tire off the ground.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Distiller Well i got it in the air, last night, only because i heard it pull into the drive way and it sounded like something was dragging on the brakes.
Come to find out that 'looseness' that you were talking about was there. I thought it was the ball joint until i got the tire off. It was the tie rod end ball joint had gone south and left about an inch of play in the tire before the steering wheel would feel it.
I checked the other side and it was still tight.
I also checked the sway bar links and they seem tight still, so i think i will save that until i figure out if the clunking is still there.
I still didn't see anything wrong with the upper ball joints. i tried wiggling the spindle while i had the tie rod off and it seemed tight as well. always hard to tell with the non-servicilble joints.
Thank you again for the help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can fix the squeaking
:dielaugh: Little did Iknow...

So I taken the thing apart and cleaned the spring and the rubber isolators (even used brake cleaner for extra cleanliness), and I still have the loud squeaking out of the passenger side:confused:. All other issue are fixed.
Does anyone have any hints on what I could use to quiet the down the squeaking?:suicide:
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
12 Posts
Squeaking might be bushings

I just installed new complete strut assemblies on my 02 and the squeaking got worse, so my squeaking is probably not coming from the coil spring. I read somewhere either here or on gmtnation.com/forums that squeaking is from the bushings. There are 2 bushings that support the lower wishbone and these might be the problem. I have a upper ball joint I found that is bad, replacing the upper ball joints is next on my list, then I will probably replace the lower ball joint, wishbone and bushings which is available as a complete assembly. (I hear replacing these bushings is a PITA and the assembly is not much more expensive than the 2 bushings & 1 lower ball joint). If you don't find that front end rebuild thread here then look on the other forum...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine is really quiet for the first couple trips after i took the spring out to clean it, also when it gets wet outside. then it gets noisy after. I almost want to put like axle grease in there to eliminate the spring completely. but i am not sure what that would do to the rubber isolators. I did just have to replace the tie rod end, and the lower arm seemed tight, but i will check it out probably this weekend. Hopefully i can get it taken care of soon. because its pretty loud squeaking, even with the windows shut.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
replacing the upper ball joints is next on my list, then I will probably replace the lower ball joint, .
Did this resolve the issue? I just purchased all 4 ball joints, and will probably replace them this weekend, but i was wondering if the lower control arm bushings were the cause...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After all the repairs and replacements, I still have noise from my sway bar bushings, which I just replaced. Anyone have a hint as to how to quiet down new bushings? :confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts