Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali_xl
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have had a problem with my drivers side door. it is completely dead. all the fuses are good and i cant figure out that it could be i checked the connections and there are all good. a friend of mine said that it could be one of the body modules. i don't know what they are and don't know where they are. could he be right and does anyone have any info on them!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Could be the DDM - the Driver's Door Module, just under the switches. Pry it out, swap with the passenger side module for an experiment. Very high failure rate if you get it wet a lot.

How did you check ALL the connections if you didn't pry the DDM out to check its connectors for power? What exactly do you mean by "checked the connections"? Do you also have a meter to check for power at the module?

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali_xl
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK you are right i didn't use a meter but i did check with a tester in the spring. (don't remember the out come) it is just cold out and i am waiting for the weather to break. i know i was getting power to the main connector that is in between the door and the frame.

i did get a used ddm and it worked for a while but was cutting in and out then died. i thought that that was the problem so i got a brand new one and that didn't work. also from what i was told the new ones have to be reprogrammed by the dealer so that is that.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Wish you had shared all that detail before my first reply.

So what's the problem taking your new module (which you must have paid real money for) and getting the dealer to program it? It's only ten minutes work, and they can't ALL be ripoffs, can they? Have you called any for prices?

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali_xl
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well why yes i did pay for it with real money. if it is really important, i got it from gmpartsdirect.com and i work 6 days a week during the hours that dealers are open and cant get to them to let the help me out. one quote i got was for some reticules price of like 600 to put a new ddm in. 350 for the part and 250 to put it in.

i am just curious to know why you or someone changed my title to my post.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,298 Posts
Verify that your passenger door module is working. Then, swap that
out with the driver's door module. If that fails to work in the driver's
door, stop looking at the module, and focus on the wiring *to* the module.

The new module may not work because of that reprogramming issue. The
used one may have worked initially because you were working with the
wiring. Have you looked through the wiring harness to make sure
there's not a bad connection/broken wire someplace? Check for corrosion
on the connectors? Verify supply voltage to the module as well as a decent
ground.

The used module may have also been damaged, but less so than your
existing module. Swapping with a working one from the passenger door would
narrow down possibilities.

Good Luck!

Chris

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
241 Posts
well why yes i did pay for it with real money. if it is really important, i got it from gmpartsdirect.com and i work 6 days a week during the hours that dealers are open and cant get to them to let the help me out. one quote i got was for some reticules price of like 600 to put a new ddm in. 350 for the part and 250 to put it in.

It was probably changed due to the initial information about the door being dead. The BCM is different than the DDM so the change in title was for future search purposes, however, now that you've provided information regarding installing a used DDM and it dying, it could very well be something else causing the issue, which is why Roadie would have liked that information in your first post before he replied with info you already addressed.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Because the module with the problem is the DDM, and the only thing we and GM call the "Body" module is the BCM. You'll get more experienced readers who might be able to help when a familiar term is in the title. That's all.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali_xl
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Because the module with the problem is the DDM, and the only thing we and GM call the "Body" module is the BCM. You'll get more experienced readers who might be able to help when a familiar term is in the title. That's all.
i apologies about that but i was just curious. i was only going by what other people have told me and what you guys are telling me. that was my reason for posting about the body module. i have never herd of it and was hoping for more info on it. sorry about that and i didn't want to sound like i was being a d--k.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali_xl
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Verify that your passenger door module is working. Then, swap that
out with the driver's door module. If that fails to work in the driver's
door, stop looking at the module, and focus on the wiring *to* the module.

The new module may not work because of that reprogramming issue. The
used one may have worked initially because you were working with the
wiring. Have you looked through the wiring harness to make sure
there's not a bad connection/broken wire someplace? Check for corrosion
on the connectors? Verify supply voltage to the module as well as a decent
ground.

The used module may have also been damaged, but less so than your
existing module. Swapping with a working one from the passenger door would
narrow down possibilities.

Good Luck!

Chris
dude i do feel like a retard. i just went out to the car and tried that and it worked. the damm window worked with the passenger side ddm.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Well , that narrows things down pretty well... :)

Others have had problems with moisture getting in
to the driver's door module, so it's possible that yours
was another victim. It's also possible that yours just went
bad and the used one you got was damaged.

For the prices you were quoting from your stealership,
it might almost be worth taking a chance on another
used module, at least for now. You could then plan out
a time to swap the new unit in and get it reprogrammed.

You'd still have a spare if something went sideways again. ;)

Cheers-

Chris

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali_xl
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks chris i have a brand new one but i just cant get to a dealer but i am going to get another used one.

thanks again.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Heh... The Roadie is always right...and if there's something he doesn't know,
he'll track it down and even give you the theory behind the operation.

Take a look at some of the mods on his 'voy. What I wouldn't have done
to have something like that on my old S10 when I was doing field work.

Not trying to suck up... some people are just *that* good!

Glad you have a solution, mac350!

Cheers-

Chris

·
Registered
2006 gmc
1 Posts
2006 gmc envoy

my driver's door module went 6 months ago - have had one on order since then, just came in today. I did switch my passenger's side module in temporarily and it worked. Then I started having a whole series of other problems that I am told are probably related, lights dimming, no power, battery died, starter went, problems with my heater - have replaced wheel bearings, tyrod ends, rear wiper motor, windshield washer pump,,,it just goes on and on. now my fuel gauge isn't working, and i get random messages on my display - I love this car but it has been a money pit!

can anybody offer any advice?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts