Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've got an 02 envoy with 79K and a G80 rearend. I've been noticing an intermittent vibration at highway speeds. Also, there is a clunk that seems to come from the rear end when starting on a hill after having driven the vehicle for a while(10-15 miles). any ideas what might be the problem? I really have no idea what could be causing this.

thanks,

Brill

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
481 Posts
It would seem you have two seperate issues. The vibration could be bad alignment or uneven tire wear. The clunk sound is usually the suspension and most notoriously the swaybar endlinks. Do you hear the clunk at any other time that what you mentioned?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had the front links replaced and the back ones are going also, but this is a different kind of sound. it seems to happen about once per revolution while starting up a hill.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
434 Posts
If you have not changed the rear differential fluid, do it now. You can then inspect the inside, and add a quality rear end fluid that has the additive for the G80. Also check out you U-joint. They present varying symptoms, but this is a possibility.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
any suggestion on which type of fluid to use? I will have to take it to a shop and have it done as I don't have the necessary tools here to do it.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
any suggestion on which type of fluid to use? I will have to take it to a shop and have it done as I don't have the necessary tools here to do it.
How long have you had the TB and you have never changed any of the fluids? Fluid type is in the manual and you can download a copy from the resources at the top of the page.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
1,356 Posts
The vibration may also simply be the tires are out of balance .. Sucha s a weight fell off.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
434 Posts
I use Amsoil Severe Gear, but Royal Purple is at auto stores and has the additive for the G80. It is a relatively simple job, but if you don't feel comfortable doing it, take it to a shop. The u-joint, if it is bad, needs to be heated to get the nylon inserts out that are in from the factory.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts