Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally decided to finish what I had tried a year ago, that is getting rid of the lockout from Drive to 3rd on the shifter. With this modification you can freely shift from Drive to third and third to drive without pushing the thumb button on the shifter. This DOES leave all other lockouts intact like neutral to Reverse, and 3rd to 2nd.

Here is the reason (and the only reason) we can't shift to 3rd from Drive:

This ramp-like tab is blocking the shifter from pulling down into third, remove it from both sides of the shifter, and you'll be all set.

First I want to point out the hex screw on the back of the shifter, this is the last screw you will remove, since you will need to reach under the center console release the shift-boot, so that you can remove the stabilitrack connector without damaging it:

Shifter-boot with stabilitrack connector:

Shifter with other side of stabilitrack connector:

So you will look under all of the rubber cup-holders, and CD case mat (in the center console), and remove all the screws with a phillips head screwdriver, and 7mm hand wrench once your done, pull the emergency brake as hard as you can, and put the car in 2nd with the car OFF, with the key in the ignition to accessories.

At this point you will need to pull this connector forward to release, you will need a flathead screwdriver to release the entire connector before disconnecting it (then go back release the shiftboot, and stabilitrack connector) at this point you can use a hex to remove the shifter handle:

Once the center console is removed, the next part is the hard part, and I took my time, with a 4" blade rapped in 3M blue tape:
(the first side takes longer than the second side, since you can only work from one side)

First be careful as blade is sharp, next make sure to keep the blade flat, so the cut you make will follow the curve of the shifter assembly, and saw away...

Once you get the first tab off the second is easier, as you can work across from both sides, feel free to attack it with your own tools, just be careful of the shifter cable, and of the assembly, you only get one shot at it.
(nearly cut through - don't cut the shifter cable):

Make sure that before you put everything together to test out the shifter, you should notice that the shift is extremely smooth from Drive to 3rd WITHOUT pushing the release button.... if the shift is not to your liking, go back and look at the assembly, and make sure you have a smooth gliding surface with no obstructions:

Once you get both tabs off, make sure to do the above steps in reverse order, replacing the center console, reconnecting the rear controls (if applicable - 3SS), screw everything back up, and put the shifter on LAST, reconnect the stabilitrack connector, screw in the hex screw, and snap in the shiftboot...

Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
278 Posts
Us I-6er's also have this lockout. This was the first annoyance I found on my new TB. Are you sure this is a safe thing to do? I can hear an silenoid or somethig when ever i press that buttom .

·
Registered
2007 chevy
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Obviously this is do at your own risk, all I can say, is that I did this on my '86 Grand National, '87 Regal T-Type, with no issues...

I believe that new cars with TCM's (Trans Control Module) the shifter location is only a "suggested" gear, and that the TCN has ultimate say as to what gear is chosen...

I can not say that this mod will fly with any state inspection, as I don't know the applicable laws, all I can say is that I have done it before with no problems...

Us I-6er's also have this lockout. This was the first annoyance I found on my new TB. Are you sure this is a safe thing to do? I can hear an silenoid or somethig when ever i press that buttom .

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
I like this a lot, I might do it to my SS. But Ive heard from a trans guy who has worked with the 700r4 and 4L60E forever that you should pull your foot off the gas before shifting from D into 3. Dont know if theres much truth to that but I do it anyway.

·
Registered
2007 chevy
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you still have Torque Management (TM) in place, 'I personally' - not being an expert don't think that it is a big deal....

Many have noted that a shift (up or down) in our trucks is just a 'request' of the TCM, and that it makes the ultimate decision, and it applies TM where appropriate.

I like this a lot, I might do it to my SS. But Ive heard from a trans guy who has worked with the 700r4 and 4L60E forever that you should pull your foot off the gas before shifting from D into 3. Dont know if theres much truth to that but I do it anyway.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
If you still have Torque Management (TM) in place, 'I personally' - not being an expert don't think that it is a big deal....

Many have noted that a shift (up or down) in our trucks is just a 'request' of the TCM, and that it makes the ultimate decision, and it applies TM where appropriate.
Haha yea in my 02 Ive been sans TM for 2+ years now. Turned all the electronic nannies off/down as much as possible. And actually when you shift the 4L60E or 4L70E it actually does move a physical lever that changes the flow of fluid inside the transmission. Yes the TCM (for V8s and 08+ I6) does do a lot but there is still a physical link in our trans. For my SS I think Im going to leave 50% of the TM because Im AWD and want it to last a long time, if I was 2WD Id leave 25%.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2006 Blazer

How do you remove the boot from the console?
there is clips but how do you take them off without breaking them because they are only plastic?

thank you

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,574 Posts
What i did is grab the slack in the boot part, pull up firmly, and while you pull wiggle it back and forth. Thats what i did and came off without breaking the clips.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Which switch? The stabiltac or the shifter?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I don't have one on mine but try doing the same thing. When you get the boot loose pull it up to access the plug and just pull and wiggle.

Hopefully that helps.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Not sure which one your talking about. If it not the type you just pull out there is usually a clip or lever you need to push in or pull out before it will come apart.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts