Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so Ive Been doing this a few times in the winter in minnesota when the roads are super bad... anyways instead of breaking going down a hill and chances of having my abs make me slide into something sometimes i drop it in second gear and it slows down the motor and car without brakes! What im saying is that it really works but i just wanna make sure it wont MESS UP my Transmission if i end up doing that a lot!

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
wait... what? ABS making you slide into something?? ABS makes sure your wheels don't lose traction with the pavement... Downshifting, while it doesn't hurt anything, doesn't have any way to know or control whether or not the wheels have traction...

Mike

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just dont listen to what i said about the ABS sry haha i was thinking of 2 different things at one haha. Though Yall were a help thanks =), yeah I just didnt wanna Sqrew up my Trans lol. :thx:woot: It really does come in handy doing that, not a lot of people here know to much about that hahaha.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
Not a lot of people who are 16 know that... Most males over 25 know that... (know that you can do it to slow down, not what effect it does or doesn't have on a transmission)

Mike

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
... not a lot of people here know to much about that hahaha.
Hope you meant "here" as in where you live, not "here" as in trailvoy the automotive enthusiast site. :confused:

A question for deeper thought. If you were slowing down using your brakes they'd get hot. Where does the heat go when you're using your tranny for braking, and what simple mod could you add to increase your ability to slow down on mountain hills?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hope you meant "here" as in where you live, not "here" as in trailvoy the automotive enthusiast site. :confused:

A question for deeper thought. If you were slowing down using your brakes they'd get hot. Where does the heat go when you're using your tranny for braking, and what simple mod could you add to increase your ability to slow down on mountain hills?
Sorry, Yes I ment Here as in where i live in Minnesota ha! My bad for the confusion :crazy:.

Are you talking about your Differential right? Oh and also I kind of feel like the second question is a trick question :laugh::duh:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Sorry, Yes I ment Here as in where i live in Minnesota ha!
OK. Mountain-driving people, especially ones who tow trailers, know all about engine braking.
Are you talking about your Differential right?
No, and that's a fascinating guess.
Oh and also I kind of feel like the second question is a trick question :laugh::duh:
Yes, it is. Designed to get you curious about how vehicle systems are designed, and perhaps hitting up the llibrary for a book on "how things work." Also a hint that you never get "somethin' for nothin'".

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK. Mountain-driving people, especially ones who tow trailers, know all about engine braking. No, and that's a fascinating guess.Yes, it is. Designed to get you curious about how vehicle systems are designed, and perhaps hitting up the llibrary for a book on "how things work." Also a hint that you never get "somethin' for nothin'".
Yeah I bet, your from cali right they Have mountains there? i wanna go there!
I swear there are like Nothing in my area! People around here all they do is Race and Drift BOO! I can drift no like pro but i can! Alright yeah I Know i dont know everything about Trailvoys and any car really, but i do know way more than an average american! I love learning about it.

I am actually thinking about taking classes for everything so that way i can get an actual better view on things! Yeah I actually kind of like waiting for parts and everything just because it has me excited and Things to look up for! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Just a quick heads-up: Don't try drifting or doing donuts with your TB. The power steering pumps do not last very long. :m2:

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LORD HAVE MERCY ON ME! That is sooooo beautiful:hail:...i should come there soon. im going that way for new years anyways! =)

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a quick heads-up: Don't try drifting or doing donuts with your TB. The power steering pumps do not last very long. :m2:
haha I did it once just to try it! :cool:. I wont do it again! If I ever go its in my Lincoln Town car!

The e-Brake is a Foot pedal type, but the clicks in it are broke so its just like another brake pedal, its actually fun in like snow storms. but Late when no cars are out and on the right streeets

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
haha oh well! :yes::hopeless. Im 23094523 Times more interested in Offroad machines <3. I wanna go with The Roadie once i finish the whole Vehilce! But I wanna go back to Alabama and tear it up there!

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't hate... you're just jealous. I saw that bitch in Tokyo Drift! :D

In all seriousness, that Lincoln needs a blower sticking out of the hood and side exhaust.
:rotfl: hahahaha Thats funny as heck OMG! That just made my day :p THNX

Nd Roadie That Thing DOES need to be sold DEFF! Maybe if i can get my 88 Chevy C10 Custom Sold I could Get Enough money to ROCK MY VOY OUT =)

·
Registered
2005 isuzu ascender
31 Posts
I'll take the bait...

(Deep thoughts ahead) The heat that would be dispersed by the brakes is diverted (by downshifting) to the engine and ultimately the radiator to the surrounding air. A more efficient engine fan or radiator would help disperse it. The trans does heat up some, but is not the main heat sink for the energy. It would fry in no time if it was since it is not designed to convert heat into energy (or back).:)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts