Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, this is my first post so take it easy on me lol. i searched before i posted this and i just wanna make sure i've got all my ducks in a row. for starters, i've got an 05 Envoy, non bose, no onstar, no steering wheel controls or rear audio controls and i just bought a JVC KW-AVX810 on ebay that i plan to install in it. now from what i've read on here i need to buy an adapter to keep the factory door chimes but does that adapter allow the DD to still stay on once you turn the truck off before you open the door like the factory unit? what about a dash kit? i need one? is that adapter the only thing i need for installation? i'm going to get a shop to install it for me but i want to make sure i have everything i need first. thanks guys and sorry for the newb questions lol.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
198 Posts
You need a Metra or Axxess GMOS-01. It will give you the retained power after the car has been turned off.

Good choice in headunits, I put in the JVC KW-AVX820 a little while ago.

The first one I sent back but this one has been a great unit.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=58547

No, I would get an install kit. I got the Scosche GM1590AB install kit.

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
hey guys, this is my first post so take it easy on me lol. i searched before i posted this and i just wanna make sure i've got all my ducks in a row. for starters, i've got an 05 Envoy, non bose, no onstar, no steering wheel controls or rear audio controls and i just bought a JVC KW-AVX810 on ebay that i plan to install in it. now from what i've read on here i need to buy an adapter to keep the factory door chimes but does that adapter allow the DD to still stay on once you turn the truck off before you open the door like the factory unit? what about a dash kit? i need one? is that adapter the only thing i need for installation? i'm going to get a shop to install it for me but i want to make sure i have everything i need first. thanks guys and sorry for the newb questions lol.
+1 for doing research

-the adapter will allow you to keep the chimes/ retained accessory power. Im using the GMRC-01 for my non bose/ non onstar and have not had any problems with it.
-the dash kit is also required
-you will also need a GM antenna adapter so the undersized factory antenna can plug into the normal sized head units antenna input

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks for the quick responses. well here is the adapter i bought for the door chimes and everything http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=120449701330
and here's the kit i bought that comes with a double din dash kit and an antenna adapter http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0240376723&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT
everything look fine? it mentioned somewhere on there about a wiring harness or somethin... do i need to buy that too or does it come with the headunit itself? here's a link to the actual headunit i bought http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270424878449&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey guys, i got another quick question and i didn't really wanna start up another thread just for this... well i went to best buy yesterday to talk to them about installing my double din and they said sure, it'd be $105 to put it in and they HAVE to wire it up so that you can only watch dvd's while the truck is parked. he said if something happened to the DD regarding the install and i brought it back in to them and it looked like i had tampered with it, then they wouldn't cover it. my question is, is there a way to wire it up so that i can play dvd's while the truck is moving but if i need to, i can wire it back up to the way it's "supposed" to be?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
846 Posts
hey guys, i got another quick question and i didn't really wanna start up another thread just for this... well i went to best buy yesterday to talk to them about installing my double din and they said sure, it'd be $105 to put it in and they HAVE to wire it up so that you can only watch dvd's while the truck is parked. he said if something happened to the DD regarding the install and i brought it back in to them and it looked like i had tampered with it, then they wouldn't cover it. my question is, is there a way to wire it up so that i can play dvd's while the truck is moving but if i need to, i can wire it back up to the way it's "supposed" to be?
I just tapped mine into the ground cable, I'm not sure if JVC needs a relay like the Pioneers but with a quick tap you could easily undo it with hardly any marks.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_ls
2,251 Posts
By law they have to do that - eliminates their liability.

You tampering with it makes it your problem if you get caught watching a movie while rolling.

THAT aside, a GOOD & FRIENDLY tech *might* show you how to properly circumvent that issue AND not get spanked for it... Dunno about the Best Buy guys in your area, but I got the Future Shop crew out here wrapped around my pinky, so it wasn't an issue for me.... (though, I've still yet to do it... too many projects....)

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
846 Posts
Yeah i completely understand why they have to do it like that. I'm just looking for a way to bypass it.
If you google "(product number) bypass" you'll get a video that shows a guy bypassing. It looks like it just needs to be grounded so I would leave it connected to the parking brake and use a self tap just into your stereo ground.

Like this:

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sweet, yeah the video i found showed the guy just trimming the coating off the ground wire up by the connector and cutting the light green wire and wrapping it around the exposed part of the ground wire basically.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts