Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 saab 9_7x
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parked my Saab 9-7x outside for a three days in temperatures right around the freezing mark. The truck started fine and runs perfectly, but is doing a couple of weird things now:

-Both keyless entry remotes stopped working at exactly the same time
-When the key is removed from the ignition and drivers' door opened, the "key is in the ignition" chime starts dinging as if they key was forgotten in the ignition.

Troubleshooting so far:
-Tried cycling the ignition a few times and trying again but it still dings
-Sprayed contact cleaner in the ignition switch but it still does it
-Pulled fuses from remote start and tried again, but it's still doing it

A couple of important facts:
-Remote start uses an OBDII connection ("one wire" install) and seems to be operating perfectly. Even the remote control I have for the remote start will lock/unlock the doors (even though the factory ones won't!)
-Remote start is 1yr old and was installed by a highly skilled shop. I watched the install. They did it perfectly and were incredibly detailed about soldering, etc.
-Still does the same thing with all remote start fuses removed, so I don't think it's the remote start at all.

*IMPORTANT INFO*
-As part of my troubleshooting, I read on the forum that the problem could be located with the wiring to the rear hatch. So I opened it and looked at the wiring bundle (looked good). Never touched the wiring. WHEN I SHUT THE HATCH, BOTH REMOTES STARTED WORKING! I figured it was fixed for now, so I left it. Came back 1hr later and the problem was back.

I am guessing that either the wiring is messed up, I have a bad ground, or the RKE module is failing and the "slamming of the hatch" fixed it.

Any thoughts on how I should further troubleshoot this? I don't want to tear the hatch apart and take wild guesses, but is there any way to know if I have a bad RKE module? I can test grounds, voltages, etc, but what am I looking for?

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Did you bend the wires in the wire bundle near the hinge line of the liftgate. Often, they break INSIDE the insulator when flexed for years.

·
Registered
2005 saab 9_7x
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is my thought too, at this point... broken wires inside the insulator.

No, I didn't touch the wires at all. Just opened the hatch, looked at the wires, then shut it.

So perhaps something shifted and started to make a good connection after the open/shut of the hatch.

I will try a few series of opens/shuts this evening to see if I can make this intermittent problem appear/disappear. If so, I'll start chasing down a bad wire.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
262 Posts
My door chime stays on as well sometimes after placing the vehicle in park and remOving the key, someone told me it was Probably the ignition switch, replaced it and problem was still occurring. Check my wires in the tailgate and they were all in tact but soldered them to prevent future headaches. The only way I get it to stop is place the key back in the ignition and remove it or turn it one click then remove the key always works for me.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
48 Posts
Hi I have the same problem in my tb , it chimes without a key when door open . I took apart the key lock and ignition switch here are the pics . I think the white plastic part 85315 is the key probe and may have been damaged or worn out. Were can I get another one ?

The dangling thing is the worn out chime switch---- were can I get a new one ?

this is the key chime switch white thing on the keylock body frame

1 - 5 of 5 Posts