Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So...

My wife went out for the groceries this morning and returned with a funny look on her face. Seems the Envoy (extended 2003 4.2L XL with 105k miles) developed a whine once she started the engine in the parking lot en route back home.

The whine is VERY noticeable and changes as the engine increases in revs.

I see other similar posts and realize it is very difficult without hearing the whine so I recorded it and posted it to Youtube! :tiphat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92omNwBwPKs

I have purchased the repair manual and IF it is the pump bearing it seems a simple enough job to replace the water pump (unless I am missing something?!!).

Times being what they are I would really prefer to do this myself than help feather the pockets of a local repair shop. I have a good sized garage and tools so unless there are special tools I should be all set.

Any input much appreciated! :thumbsup:
Paul

PS: the link above doesn't appear as a clickable link. Don't know what I am doing wrong? For those that are unable to access the video it is the first video on youtube if you search for "GMC Envoy water pump". Sorry, will fix link if I can.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I have been reading that thread a little while ago and decided that for $20 and as the vehicle has 105k miles I should probably go ahead and replace the idler pulley anyway.

If that fixes the whine then great. Otherwise I will look at the water pump and power steering pump.

·
Registered
2007 gmc
159 Posts
Power steering should get much louder at full tilt so it should be a little easier to identify. If it is not he PS pump then I would still flush the PS fluid.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
There is also a belt tensioner pulley. And if you turn the steering wheel and the pitch changes, it will point more to the PS pump.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now I am getting confused. Is the belt tensioner pulley not the idler pulley? :confused:

The sound has no impact from steering which is why I initially thought the water pump.

I will look at the idler pulley today and see if that fixes it, if not I will try to see if I can test the water pump. I assume removing the pulley and spinning it might give an indication.

Thanks all.
Paul

·
Registered
chevy trailblazer_ls
68 Posts
It could be either the idler pulley or belt tension pulley. I plan on replacing both of mine just as preventive measurement.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, it was a 5 minute job to replace both and re-install the belt. Whine still there. :duh:

So, unless there are other suggestions I am looking at the water pump now.

Looks like getting the fan shroud out will be a total pain :mad:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
128 Posts
The fan shroud is not that bad. I just replaced my fan clutch this weekend and that took me a little over an hour to do. You will need a fan clutch tool kit to remove the clutch from the water pump. The rental tool from Advanced was the wrong tool but O'Rielie's had the right set. Go to the Fan Clutch 101 tread for some good info. Good luck:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really thought about not posting this as it is so frigging embarrassing but I am throwing myself under the train so others in the future can learn! :suicide:

First, I will say that the old water pump did have some movement and the car has 105k miles so I am sure it would have needed to be replaced sometime in the next 30k miles or so. But that aside...

After replacing both pulleys and the water pump and STILL having a whine something made me check the power steering fluid level. It was VERY low! :bonk::bonk::bonk:

Topped it up and whine has gone.:woohoo:

I know it is a total excuse but the car had a total service 3k miles ago and I honestly didn't think to check fluid levels. I am stunned they wouldn't have picked up on a low power steering fluid level. There are no leaks which would have given the game away for me.

So, before ripping the front of the engine apart like a fool (me!) check the power steering fluid level!!

On the bright side it is running fine. I will re-install the fan/shroud in the morning once I have calmed down.

Paul

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Hey Paul, the quesiton is were did the fluid go? ...... Assuming (yeah I know), that they did in fact check the fluid level at the service 3k miles ago, do you seen any drips or stain in the driveway. Maybe they didn't bother to check it, but if they did, you lost that amount of fluid in 3000 miles. You may want to inspect the system for possible leaks to prevent further isues.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Absolutely no drips or stains. The drive is spotless.

I will be sure to keep an eye on it now but thanks for focusing on the issue at hand and not the fact I spent three hours replacing parts instead of topping up the fluid! :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts