Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have nothing to add beyond the title. I know that depressing the gas pedal three times after an oil change triggers a response on the dash.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
As far as I know, all trailvoys of all kinds have oil life monitoring systems built into the PCM. The base models use it to light up the oil reminder dash lamp, but the actual percentage of oil life left can be sent to Onstar if you pay for their monthly reminder email. The higher end models with the DIC can read the percentage on the display.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's fine. From a truck owner standpoint and an environmental standpoint, the idea of changing the oil precisely when it needs to be changed and not too early or too late is exciting.

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_ls
7,988 Posts
I have a base model SS. I was able to do a fairly easy mod to get DIC functions from my cluster. I don't know anything about the Ascender, but it might be something to look into.:m2:

Here's the LINK that I followed to do the mod.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
the system works great.
U MUST check the oil level every now and then.\these engines dont use much oil...
but a few have reported they trusted the Oil life monitor- and when they changed oil.. it was low by several quarts--- theyd never checked the level.
In my case... my engine uses very little oil.
Several times Ive gone 10,500 to 11,000 miles-- and Ive removed 6.75 quarts and 6.25 quarts on several occasions.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
I have a base model SS. I was able to do a fairly easy mod to get DIC functions from my cluster. I don't know anything about the Ascender, but it might be something to look into.:m2:

Here's the LINK that I followed to do the mod.
The base SS guys are lucky as the clusters are all the same for them, everyone else is SOL on this. You can swap the cluster in 06+s I think but 02-05s take way too much work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts