Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well im on vacation right now and we went to cape hatteras NC. I took her out on the beach today for the first time and it was struggling the whole way and then on the way back we got stuck and had to get pulled out by a jeep. I put my tires at 20 psi all the way around but i think its just a matter of ground clearance. On a good note though, i averaged 23mpg hwy on the way down here from wisconsin. Anyone have some comments or suggestions.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
Let's say you wore leather dress shoes, and your wife had on high heels, and you went for a walk on the beach. Comfy?

Are you shod as appropriately as you could have been for conditions?

I doubt it. You have street tires? You needed sand tires. Maybe at 16 PSI.

If you got high-centered, then you just drove on a too-soft section instead of a compacted, partially moist section. Yes, ground clearance can make up for a poor choice of driving line, so why didn't you get a lift kit put on before vacation? They help a lot.

Ohhhhh, maybe you didn't want sand tires or a lift kit on all the time because it's only a short time you're on vacation and they're expensive. OK, then what you had was a choice of spending money or getting stuck and that's known as a compromise.

Compromises sometimes suck. I would not say the trailvoy sucks. Sorry. You need more sand practice to overcome the handicaps of the stock vehicle.

Sand, testing my winch:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,629 Posts

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
...there has to be a rule in the Offroading manual somewhere about proper Offroad footwear. I think you are breaking that rule.
Arghhhhhh. ANOTHER person busts me for the slip-on canvas boat shoes! :eek: :eek: :eek: Those are my favorite driving shoes, and I neglected to put on the hiking-soled desert shoes that were behind my driver's seat, when I got out to do the winch test here. I surely regretted it when they filled up with sand.

Now if you ever catch me wearing extremely-old-guy velcro-closure sneakers from the ads in Parade Magazine - just shoot me. :bonk:

You didn't notice the rest of my outfit - Columbia Titanium desert-wear and an Overland Journal hat?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
434 Posts
It really does not matter what else you were wearing, it was only necessary to bust you on what I did see. So now I either need to make sure I don't post any pictures of myself, or check my garb for "bustability". I am glad you rolled with the post and knew it was in fun.

·
Registered
728 Posts
well damn, mine got through a whole camp sesson in packed sand and then really lose sand like beach sand forced to drive in ruts which my front end was scooping sand the whole time, but only got stuck once, and with street tires, id say your choice of driving line sucked and you may not have had 4wd engaged... i had a blast with mine in the sand while stock height and all...

here is a pic of what i drove through

my very first off road venture ended like this

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ive driven in the sand down there many a times. Usually rented a ford explorer or a jeep grand cherokee for use on the beach there and never had problems so thats i guess what i was comparing it too but i also understand that the terrain is always changing and will never be the same. Maybe i just had bad luck. As for getting a lift kit, i dont want to be a hard core offroader or anything, just thought i would try it out while i was on vacation.

·
Registered
728 Posts
i dont want to be a hard core offroader or anything, just thought i would try it out while i was on vacation

you cann still get the lift but, maybe bill or mario can help with the stamp, but you wil justget a "Mall Rated" pic slapped in the post...

but yea, terrian is ever changing and beaches down here are differnt then beaches up north.. diff sand , as the sand is different from neveda to saudi.... the bestthing is to take what happened and learn from it, thats all you can to, so next time you carry that knowledge and may be able to prevent getting stuck...

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts
Does anyone think the trailblazer sucks in sand or is it just me?
Sounds like you got your answer and it is just you.

On the proper footwear comment...

Does this mean I don't get points or hitting the trails at MORA wearing flip flops? :excited: I, like Roadie, did have more appropriate shoes with me if needed.

·
Registered
269 Posts
nope

tires are a big part. Air em down or run a wider tire. I dug one in yesterday, but got out pretty easy as soon as I put it in 4WD. Then did get stopped in my tracks trying a huge sand rut/crazy bump on this trail that hit I'd guess 70 degrees. I may have been able to make it with a G80 but even the Jeep and dakota I was with couldn't get past my point of no return either.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
52 Posts
Well im on vacation right now and we went to cape hatteras NC. I took her out on the beach today for the first time and it was struggling the whole way and then on the way back we got stuck and had to get pulled out by a jeep. I put my tires at 20 psi all the way around but i think its just a matter of ground clearance. On a good note though, i averaged 23mpg hwy on the way down here from wisconsin. Anyone have some comments or suggestions.
I was down there last summer and drove my Envoy all over the Point by the lighthouse without any issues. I did run in 4WD Low. I never got stuck, did scrap the sand alot due to ruts and soft sand on trails. My Envoy has Goodyear Fortera HL and aired down to 20 psi. I was able to drive all the same places we went in our Jeep Wrangler w/ a 4" lift and 31x10.5 AT. It was a blast. Still was getting sand out of the frame rails 6 months later! Am going back again this summer, but without the Jeep.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
123 Posts
I was just on the beach at Port-A TX and the TB handled the sand like a dream. A Tahoe and Dodge Ram got stuck but they were too heavy on the gas and dug themselves in. They both had street tires too. The tires I have are not extreme off-roading tires but they do have a good foot print and teeth on the side to help grip.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.