Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find out if anyone knows what month through the 2002 year model that the tie-rod design changed to the second design (which was used on up through at least 2006 according to the parts catalog). I've bought a steering gear out of a wrecked SS and as long as my truck is the second design, it should bolt right in. I think I've found the difference is the tie-rod size so I'm going to try and measure mine tomorrow, but the more info the better. Plus, this would help someone else wanting to do this swap.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Just measure them. I saw composite digital calipers at Harbor Freight for $6 on sale in the latest flyer. 14mm = old. 16mm = new.

Worst that will happen is you need to buy a pair of new 16mm tie rod ends to match your rack assembly. Not a bad idea for an upgrade anyway. They redesigned it for a reason. ;)

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a real nice digital caliper, at work. I'm going to try and measure them today with what I have, but it may have to wait until tomorrow. According to the catalog, the steering knuckle also has a first and second design for 2002, so the hole for the tie-rod may be smaller there, too. Hopefully I have the second design, my TB was built in 3/02.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts