Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 03 TB with 151k miles on it. About 5 years ago I had the lower control arm brackets replaced. Fast forward to this week, and I went to check out the alignment of the tires because there was some uneven wear on the tires (ended up having to replace them). The alignment guy said he shouldn't check because the lower control arm ball joints are shot.

I figure might as well replace the whole control arm assembly as that's easier to replace and maybe the brackets are getting worn too.

Today called the local shop for an estimate and they said I should get the front quick struts replaced alongside the lower control arm assembly. They said parts and labor would be $1625 + tax to replace everything :eek:

So right now I have a couple of questions:

1) Should I get my struts replaced along with the control arm assembly? I haven't seen anything saying that this is a good idea, and this suggestion was made without actually looking at Max (what I call my TB)

2) Are struts different than shocks? I had the shocks replaced about two years/50k miles ago, so perhaps replacing them again is completely unnecessary?

3) There is another shop I know that will install parts I buy. If I buy a lower control arm assembly and a strut is there anything else I should buy that needs to be replaced. This is the same shop that replaced a radiator I bought, but used the old radiator cap because I forgot to buy one of those as well.

3) I see I can buy Moog, Dorman, and ACDelco lower control arm assemblies for $128, $132, and $179, respectively on Amazon. Any recommendation on what brand to get?

Thanks for any and all help guys, not really sure what to do here.

·
Registered
2005 trailblazer_lt
112 Posts
The lower control arm assembly should be fine. My First TB had 230,xxx miles on it and it didn't need the lower arms replaced, so as long as the bushings are still OK - they should be fine.

Good idea to Replace BOTH Upper & Lower ball joints at the same time. Probably a better idea to buy replacement upper arms at the same time too. The uppers wear out WAY faster/worse than the lower ! )

Yes,.... Replace the front struts. This "should" be done around 60K miles, same is true for the rear shocks but if they are not sagging and the rear end isn't 'bouncing' over bumps that you can put off the rear shocks for awhile.

WOW ! After seeing the price you were quoted for the front end work I'm glad I rebuilt the front end of my 05TB by myself last fall ! Easily saved me about a GRAND ! ( I replaced EVERYTHING BUT the lower control arms. )

:cool:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts