Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Do I need to change the transfer case fluid if I have no CV axles?

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  zaid3ssaf 
#1 ·
I have an 02 Bravada with 4.2 Vortec. The previous owner said that the transfer case was bad so he took the CV axles out. Do I even need to care about changing the transfer case oil? Do I need to cover the holes where the axles went? Also a mechanic told me that removing the CV axles will damage the transmission. Is that true?

#2 ·
That really depends on what your future plan is for the 4WD. At the least, the connector to the Encoder motor on the tranfer case should be removed. that will keep the TC from engaging Auto4WD. The holes in the differential should definitely be plugged. Some people have used plastic caps from Gatorade bottles. I don't see how removing the front axles would have a adverse on the tranny.

#3 ·
I don't care for AWD since I bought this vehicle for cheap and I don't intend to do serious winter driving or hauling in the future. The motor is still connected so I assume that the vehicle is still in AWD regardless if it's connected to the axles (which it isn't), correct?

If I disconnect the motor would it go to RWD or FWD?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.