Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , I bought a 2002 Trailblazer LT and the front end is making a humming / rubbing noise , I bought the TB and it has studded winter tires on it , which is what I thought the noise was. But its been getting louder and now I notice its loud when I turn right and going straight , but no noise when turning left. I jacked it up, I have no play when checking the tires up and down , but side to side I get a small amount of play on both sides. I have new brakes on the whole thing. Never checked my diff yet , but will tomorrow. Everything else besides the little bit of side to side play in the front seems tight and good. So ... does this sound like my bearing or what ? I don't really have the extra cash right now , so I don't want to be spending a lot , but I might have to since Ive been driving on it thinking it was my studs on the pavement! Any answers are appreciated . Thank you.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
7 Posts
Sure sounds like a when bearing which is common. In my opinion, I would stay away from the cheap ones in China and go with a Timken ( O.E.). In most cases you will not feel any slop. With both wheels off you will feel a click or stiffness in the one that bad or turning left and right which ever side is having the load on will be the bad side.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response , so I bought a new MOOG front drivers side hub. Noise went away , everything back too normal , thank you. MOOG hub cost me $250. The cheap made in china 1 was $120 at Canadian Tire. Was a fast fix.:)

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
10 Posts
See now my 06 TB 4.2 4WD has been making humming, almost grinding noises primarily when I turn left and put load on the right tire. I thought it was the bearing as well. I just replaced it tonight and the noise is still there. I'm at a loss.........:bonk:

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,503 Posts
It probably is the other side hub. The theory of it being the hub opposite the turning direction has not proven true in some cases. Put the hub you removed on the other side and see what happens.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
4 Posts
front wheel bearing

Hi, test your bearings by jacking tire off the ground and put your hand on coil spring while spinning the wheel -you will feel the vibration or roughness in your hand-most times there is no play to notice-replaced both of mind with timken from amazon.com-$15o.00 each-bood luck-ken

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
4 Posts
humming front

See now my 06 TB 4.2 4WD has been making humming, almost grinding noises primarily when I turn left and put load on the right tire. I thought it was the bearing as well. I just replaced it tonight and the noise is still there. I'm at a loss.........:bonk:
How many miles?-my went out at 56,000:confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts