Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I have a 2003 Trailblazer EXT with non Bose/Onstar stereo.

Trying to install an after market factory stereo Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD, but my friend who installs car stereos told me i need an adapter for the stereo to integrate the factory security and other features with the new stereo.
I found couple of them (adapters) from previous posts, but wondering if i really have to do it. I was happy that i won't hear the door chimes any more, which sometimes wakes up my little daughter.

Any advice/tricks will be greatly appreciated.

PS before installing the stereo, i installed Polk 2-way speakers (front, kept factory tweeters hooked) and Infinity 3-way (rear), and put as much Dynamat extreme sheet inside the doors and behind the speakers as possible, and the sound is so nice, except the stereo messing a lot with the bass when listening to the radio. My ipod sounds even nicer and loud with the Cassette to aux adapter (lucky to have cassette)... makes me hesitant to install the new stereo for a while :undecided

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
7,255 Posts
If you have non bose and wish to install not using an aftermarket harness, you must splice the ignition wire into the fat pick wire under the steering column. Stereo will turn on and off with car, but it will not retain the chimes. So don't ever forget your keys in the ignition:laugh:

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
use the metra 70-2003 wiring harness
thanks i can never remember that number:duh:

If you have non bose and wish to install not using an aftermarket harness, you must splice the ignition wire into the fat pink wire under the steering column. Stereo will turn on and off with car, but it will not retain the chimes. So don't ever forget your keys in the ignition:laugh:
fixed:tiphat

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
221 Posts
Not to high jack the thread but similar question, I do have bose and onstar.. I def won't be using onstar, and don't care about the stock setup, can I use this adapter metra 70-2003, to just bypass them all? Or would this cause any issue with system features? I went through it all on the cavalier being told **** can happen which was BS... so I figure double check with envoy as well..

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
497 Posts
Not to high jack the thread but similar question, I do have bose and onstar.. I def won't be using onstar, and don't care about the stock setup, can I use this adapter metra 70-2003, to just bypass them all? Or would this cause any issue with system features? I went through it all on the cavalier being told **** can happen which was BS... so I figure double check with envoy as well..
Are you going to run an amp for your speakers? You will have to run new speaker wire from the head unit to behind the factory amp, if not.

And you will have to provide 12V switched power (which finding a safe source for that is difficult).

Personally, I think the proper harness is a much better solution.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
221 Posts
Are you going to run an amp for your speakers? You will have to run new speaker wire from the head unit to behind the factory amp, if not.

And you will have to provide 12V switched power (which finding a safe source for that is difficult).

Personally, I think the proper harness is a much better solution.

I would be bypassing the amp of course *bose*, as I have a Kicker 4 Channel to replace it..As for Onstar don't care to use it either...Same with Chimes if my lil guy is asleep the damn chimes wake him everytime.....Speaker wire Yeah I know I'd have to replace them which I planned on anyway since the stock stuff is poopy....

·
Registered
497 Posts
I would be bypassing the amp of course *bose*, as I have a Kicker 4 Channel to replace it..As for Onstar don't care to use it either...Same with Chimes if my lil guy is asleep the damn chimes wake him everytime.....Speaker wire Yeah I know I'd have to replace them which I planned on anyway since the stock stuff is poopy....
Then technically you don't need an active harness. But given the extra work that it would entail, I think the savings in labor along (and ability to revert to stock later) is worth the $40ish.

For what it's worth, I can BARELY hear the chime in my GMRC-01. I installed it behind the head unit, and the damn sound deadening makes it so quiet that I only barely hear it on a quiet late night, and I have to concentrate. I need to re-locate the speaker! :bonk:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ended up buying a Scoche adapter (can't remember the part#) brand new for $23 shipped off ebay... great deal
Haven't installed yet, i hope the sound won't be loud.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I ended up buying a Scoche adapter (can't remember the part#) brand new for $23 shipped off ebay... great deal
Haven't installed yet, i hope the sound won't be loud.
I've hope it's not a waste for you. I pointed out the availability of the Scoche adapter, previously, and everyone I spoke to about it mentioned that it will fail and I'd end up buying a GMRC-01, anyway, lol.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
221 Posts
I've hope it's not a waste for you. I pointed out the availability of the Scoche adapter, previously, and everyone I spoke to about it mentioned that it will fail and I'd end up buying a GMRC-01, anyway, lol.

They have the Scoche one at Walmart for about 40$ I think it was... what failures did people see the harness or just the speaker? I figure if its just the speaker then who cares, better then 130$..

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
274 Posts
They have the Scoche one at Walmart for about 40$ I think it was... what failures did people see the harness or just the speaker? I figure if its just the speaker then who cares, better then 130$..
One of my buddies bought the Scoche one at walmart for $39.00 (It must have the speaker on it with the model number GM2000) I helped him install it. It works great. It will work as long as you Dont have Onstar & Bose. if you dont have either of those then it will work perfect for you. & if it doesnt work as expected then just return it to walmart. :D

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
221 Posts
One of my buddies bought the Scoche one at walmart for $39.00 (It must have the speaker on it with the model number GM2000) I helped him install it. It works great. It will work as long as you Dont have Onstar & Bose. if you dont have either of those then it will work perfect for you. & if it doesnt work as expected then just return it to walmart. :D
I do have bose/onstar however I plan to ignore them both, so therefore wouldn't the hook up then be the same?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
274 Posts
I do have bose/onstar however I plan to ignore them both, so therefore wouldn't the hook up then be the same?
I think that the GM2000 (walmart) harness would not fit in vehicles with bose/onstar because it says directly on the GM2000 harness that it wont work with onstar/bose vehicles because the harness end is different. I really dont think that this will work because it says right on the GM2000. But if you want you can get it and see if it hooks up. Its possible that you can try to bypass the Onstar/Bose features if you are not going to use them. Im just not sure if the harness is different or not. You can go to walmart and see if they matchup and work. If not you can take it back. It would probably work in my guess but you would not have onstar/bose hookedup. As long as the harness ends fit you should be fine. That is my guess. Good Luck. Comments are welcome :D :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.