Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading up on old threads for painting front ends and can't quite find what I'm looking for, so I need some extra input. In the next week or so, I'm gonna tackle color matching my crossbar, and painting my bowtie black. I want to also color match the boring grey part of the lower bumper as well.

I talked to a couple of local paint shops, and all of them are in the ballpark of $150, but kept warning me they can't give me a guarantee on the paint sticking because of the plastic surface. Of course, I am thinking, scuff, AP, prime, paint, and clear from all the reading I've done, but for dropping that kind of coin, I want some insurances. :ugh:

I've used Krylon Fusion black on my mirror covers and door handles and loved the ease of use and results, but not having much luck on color matching info from them. I checked the Duplicolor website, and they don't have a rattle can match for me (67 or 994L), so I ended up finding my best bet with automotivetouchup.com

I was wanting to get some input from folks who have color matched their front bumpers themselves rather than have it professionally done. Prep time, how many coats of AP, Primer, base and clear, and most importantly PICS!!

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Don't forget you'll need to add the flexible adhesive promotor to the paint, or it WILL flake off over time. Plastic expands and contracts more with temp change than metal and the paint will not last long without the aditive. Those area, particularly the lower bumper are prone being hit/bumped as well as flexing at high speeds and any substantial flexing will result in paint cracking/peeling. (Think of what happens to a bumper in a small fender bender, the paint many times will flake off without visible signs of a collision afterwards).

Just a heads up, silver metalic is TOUGH to exactly match in hue. I've had several silver vehicles and I could see the difference in hue after they've been painted or touched up. Metalic paint is just tough to match the texture and hue 100% and that slightly off can be attributed to either the paint itself or the application technique used. (I like pearl coats and metalics, but there's a reason they charge for for those colors at the factory).

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't forget you'll need to add the flexible adhesive promotor to the paint, or it WILL flake off over time. Plastic expands and contracts more with temp change than metal and the paint will not last long without the aditive. ..... Just a heads up, silver metalic is TOUGH to exactly match in hue. ....
:duh: Not what I wanted to hear, but definitely something I needed to... The plan was to order the AP, and paint in rattle cans. This site custom mixes the paints if you give them your color code, and will send it to you in whatever form you request (touch up pens, rattle cans, etc) So I was hoping to avoid the mismatched colors going that route. I read on another thread that colors will appear darker until you shoot them with some clear, so that gave me a lil hope that I could get it really close if not an exact match.

I'm wanting to go with some black powder coated billet grille inserts in the bumper to match the ones I'm going to put in the main grille. The contrast would look much better with a color matched bumper IMO But I didn't want to have to go search for a new front bumper to pull it off :worried:

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,253 Posts
:duh: Not what I wanted to hear, but definitely something I needed to... The plan was to order the AP, and paint in rattle cans. This site custom mixes the paints if you give them your color code, and will send it to you in whatever form you request (touch up pens, rattle cans, etc) So I was hoping to avoid the mismatched colors going that route. I read on another thread that colors will appear darker until you shoot them with some clear, so that gave me a lil hope that I could get it really close if not an exact match.

I'm wanting to go with some black powder coated billet grille inserts in the bumper to match the ones I'm going to put in the main grille. The contrast would look much better with a color matched bumper IMO But I didn't want to have to go search for a new front bumper to pull it off :worried:
ive color matched my door handles/side mirrors/and running boards myself..Duplicolor dosent make my color either so i just went to my local bodyshop supply house to have them mix me up my color in a couple rattle cans....i wanna say the cans cost about 15 bucks a peice....try your local place,,im sure they can hook you up!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 chevy
256 Posts
I color matched my bowtie, and my rocker panels, and what I learned from the rocker panels is to do a larger area, you really need an HVLP paint gun. The bowtie is no problem, because it's a small area, so doing it with a rattle can is easy. But on the rocker panels, you get inconsistent sprays because the can loses pressure. I just got my crossbar painted, and I had a body shop do it. It looks GREAT. I'm still waiting to put it back on because I changed my bowtie from silver(color of my truck) to black. I'll post pics when I get it back on.

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But on the rocker panels, you get inconsistent sprays because the can loses pressure.
Yeah, I had that thought in the back of my head, and figured there would have to be some light sanding between coats involved to get things just right. That's why I was hoping there had been other people who tried it, and I just wasn't finding their posts from searching.

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
5,895 Posts
I talked to a couple of local paint shops, and all of them are in the ballpark of $150, but kept warning me they can't give me a guarantee on the paint sticking because of the plastic surface.
I had a place in clearwater paint my cowl and bug deflector for $100. told me that they wouldn't guarantee the bug deflector but i told them i didnt' care.

for the money you'll spend on rattle cans.. imo its better to just take it somewhere

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a place in clearwater paint my cowl and bug deflector for $100. told me that they wouldn't guarantee the bug deflector but i told them i didnt' care.

for the money you'll spend on rattle cans.. imo its better to just take it somewhere
Yeah, I'm starting to lean more towards shelling out the extra money up front to let someone else do it, and then deal with it if/when it starts to peel. Figure it will take a while to start having issues, so it will look good for a while right?

:eek:fftopic:

Jimmyjam, you sure you don't wanna part with those black whistler headlights of yours? :undecided

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
5,895 Posts
i'll sell them to you if you buy the car they are on...

i got to do some painting and put the old girl for sale

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
61 Posts
I went through the same color match problem with my grille. Duplicolor doesnt make mine either/ I came very "close" a few times. Its actually drying in the garage now with the newest attempt. If you have a good paint supplier around you they should be able to color match for you. The last car I painted came out a perfect match with the flex additive. But thats not gonna happen (i dont think) with a rattle can. Like mentioned above, it will look great but WILL flake off without that additive. If the body shop said they cant guarantee the work they do would last Id go to another shop. Im no paint expert but I would think this is something shops commonly have to paint & should have figured out by now how to make it work.:m2:

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I went and visited a few more places over the weekend, and they all said the same thing, no guarantees on their work, even for a $300+ paint job for just the bumper. I figure if I'm gonna drop that kinda coin, with no guarantees, WTH, might as well do it myself and learn somethin right?

I did a little more research on Sunday and came across some SEM products that seem promising. They have flex additives in their paint, so that was a plus. They don't have a very helpful list of automotive color codes, so I sent them an email for more info.

I'm starting small though, hit my bowtie with some Fusion gloss black earlier today. Before I tackle the bumper, I'll try the crossbar first.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I did a little more research on Sunday and came across some SEM products that seem promising. They have flex additives in their paint, so that was a plus. They don't have a very helpful list of automotive color codes, so I sent them an email for more info.

I'm starting small though, hit my bowtie with some Fusion gloss black earlier today. Before I tackle the bumper, I'll try the crossbar first.
Are those rattle cans w/flex ? If so I need to look into that ! Im big on trying things myself to learn from it. If I screw it up, I have no problem admitting it & taking it to someone who knows what theyre doing. But at least I learned something.

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are those rattle cans w/flex ? If so I need to look into that ! Im big on trying things myself to learn from it. If I screw it up, I have no problem admitting it & taking it to someone who knows what theyre doing. But at least I learned something.
Since joining this site, I've been much more inclined to try stuff I wouldn't normally, since I know where to look for help if I screw it up :bonk:

Here's the link to their catalog, http://semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?cat=36 and what their site says about their paint. After seeing that, and reading some other stuff I figured it would be worth a shot. Hopefully I'll hear back from them tomorrow.
Formulated to match, restore or change color on most vinyl surfaces, flexible and rigid plastics, carpet and velour. COLOR COAT is fade resistant, flexible and is a permanent coating. COLOR COAT is not a dye.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the link. I'll check them out. Im experimenting with a few things tonight with the grille & bowtie. Just sprayed the bowtie with a really smooth looking satin black from Duplicolor but taped off the edges so just the outline stands out. Looks good in my head so we'll see what reality brings !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts