Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first got my tb I was wondering which way I wanted to go with it, I had modified cars ect. before and thought 'ooh a drop and some 22's' but that would kind of kill some of the functionality, especially living in Maine. So after my trip up to the north Maine woods (the Allagash) I've decided to drop some coin on some off road goodies, just for the pure fact I had such a blast up there on dirt roads and washout ect. Some stuff I did have to turn around for because i would have gotten seriously stuck.

What kind of roof cargo racks are you guys running or are they all custom made?

Are there any other under body skids that you run? to say protect the transmission, gas tank, ect? Im thinking about that aluminum engine skid I see that someone is making.

I see some people are also running the air bag spring helpers, is that pretty much for when you are loaded up with gear so you dont sag on the trails?

sorry for the noob q's but I want to do this right and the first time haha

Heres a dirty pic, love the mud!

Thanks,
Tyler

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,329 Posts
Spend some time looking through this section of the site. Lots of info on here. Currently, I don't think anyone besides Mike (bartonmd) is making any form of under body protection. He already has an aluminum oil pan skid plate that he's selling and he's developing a radiator skid plate now too.

Air springs are a good way of keeping the rear from sagging with lots of weight in the back or when towing.

Are you lifting it at all? There are a few options out there for our platform. MarkMC has a spacer kit for our trucks and he only sells to TV members. BDS also has a spacer kit which is a heavier duty set up, but also more expensive. There are also a couple of options for body lifts. Mark is working on a 3" body lift for our trucks, he has a couple of the kits already out there...

as for roof racks... most are running a universal rack of some sort, just using different options for mounting to the oem rails...

There is a lot more information on here... might also want to check out James Downing's site... offroadtb.com

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
What kind of roof cargo racks are you guys running or are they all custom made?
I have the BajaRack. It's made of Carbon Steel for a light weight. The rack weights about 27 lbs, but has plenty of strength for my applicatons:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?p=711999#post711999

Are there any other under body skids that you run? to say protect the transmission, gas tank, ect? Im thinking about that aluminum engine skid I see that someone is making.
BartonMD produces the alluminum oilpan skidplates. So far that is our only aftermarket skidplate.

If you are serious about this, I'd recommend you look into getting rock sliders. A guy down here in Manassas, VA made my custom set, but is interested in making more.
Details here: http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?p=719831#post719831

I see some people are also running the air bag spring helpers, is that pretty much for when you are loaded up with gear so you dont sag on the trails?
You'll notice that even if you get the Z71 springs, your truck will sag a bit in the back when loaded down with a few hundred pounds of supplies. I don't personally have bags, but I'm contemplating them. The problem is that they are a complex solution to a relatively simple problem. YMMV.

Oh yeah, welcome to the dirty side of Trailvoy!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts