Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a quick question...

Sometimes I notice that when driving at night, especially when parking for the night, that rolling up my window, or closing my sunroof, and especially when i do both - causes the headlights to dim considerably. Is this normal? Is there any fix? And finally, will this continue to happen once I add HID's to the lows and fogs?

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,968 Posts
can't tell you about adding HID's but i can tell you i've had this problem for the year and a bit i've had the TB.

Some people have stated changing the battery fixed it for them, didn't do squat for me.

So i can tell you that it seems as if it is normal :)weird::bonk: but normal)

maybe adding HIDs would help, (lower power consumption) but that's only if you go with the 35W ballasts.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad to know that I'm not the ony one! I just know I never had this issue on the only other newer car I had, 02 Grand Prix...

I was hoping to get the set-up from jetttstream, hopefully Mike will chime in.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
no, you're definately not the only one...there are a bunch of people on here with that problem.......

hopefully....one day we'll find a fix....

the only other car i've ever had do this is my dodge stealth, but the battery was ready to die when it happened. with the TB, the battery can be brand new and it'll still do it....much be a design (wiring) issue

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
137 Posts
This is an annoying problem with my '07 as well. I took it to Autozone to load test the battery and alternator...both passed. They tried to convince me it was the aftermarket "stereo" that I added, but it did it before the stereo was installed and it does it with the stereo off...hmmmm.:duh:

I will more than likely try a new battery. If that doesn't work I don't know where to turn next. I have noticed that if you fold the rear seat bottom forward and don't fold the backrest down (exposing the fuse box), you can hear this whining draw when holding up on the window buttons, so it could be a wiring issue as Diablo stated.:bonk:

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
211 Posts
on my previous rig. (92 4runner V6 with 238k miles on it with OE alternator.)
I also had this problem. I thought it was my stereo. So I went to a Optima yellow top, also installed a .5 farad capacitor for 1 of my Amps. Still had the same issue. Only time it didn't dim was when the rpms were higher than 750.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Running a motor (sun roof or windows) is a sudden draw of power. If the lights dim but then return to normal, IMO, this is not unusual.:m2:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Running a motor (sun roof or windows) is a sudden draw of power. If the lights dim but then return to normal, IMO, this is not unusual.:m2:
:iagree:
You are pulling a lot of power when you hit the switches for the motors in the windows and sunroof, the engine is at an idle (alt is not putting out much). Kinda like taking a shower and everybody turns on the water all over the house at the same time, the shower slows down a lot.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I'll bite, whats the BIG 3 upgrade(s)?
It's where you upgrade the 3 major wires in your car battery, alternator and ground

do a search for it and it will tell you what size wire to use (i believe you can't use over 4 guage without upgrading the alt)

I think there might be an article showing you a good step by step

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
youre entirely too much help, thanks a ton sir. ill have to check it out, but if everyone else is basically dealing with it without any sort of issues, i may ust do the same. i just hope someone with HID's will chime in and enlighten us as to whether it does the same with those.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
137 Posts
I have read doing the BIG 3 upgrade improves this issue.
I've done the big 3 and it didn't help at all. It seemed to help a lot on my old Chevy truck, but not so much on the trailblazer. I'm more than likely going to try switching to an Optima, when they tested my battery, the voltage drop was over a volt but it still passed. Thats a big drop though IMHO.

*edit
Here is the difference between the stock wiring and the big 3 wiring.

Better current flow!

·
JeTTTstream Automotive Technologies
2007 chevy
642 Posts
Guys, we have a grounding kit for TB's coming out very soon. It definitely helps with the dimming issues and such.

Stay tuned!

-Mike

·
JeTTTstream Automotive Technologies
2007 chevy
642 Posts
maybe between this and the big three we can get something going here.....
My kit **is** the big three, but with some updates.

Call it big three-plus.

(+) alternator to (+) battery
(-) battery to chassis ground
Engine block to chassis ground
_______secret extra________

hah.

Coming soon guys I'm really excited!!

-Mike

·
Registered
2,968 Posts

Call it big three-plus.

hah.

-Mike
how soon is "coming soon"

and what price range are you looking at?

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
2,006 Posts

Call it big three-plus.

hah.

-Mike
Mike,

is this something that would work if you have a stereo system in your vehicle as well... in my SS i have a ported wall to wall sub box and runnin 3000 Watts of power through 2 amps.. you can imagine the dimming in my SS.. i only Crank it at meets and such.. but my lights dont dim on just normal operation like the power window etc... so would this help me out?? just might have to get this over the license plate lights :crackup:

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
i just hope someone with HID's will chime in and enlighten us as to whether it does the same with those.
Im running hids, they do not dim, even with 5,000 watt audio system

big3 requires roughly 7 feet of wire, 6 ring terminals, and new battery terminals for the additional ring terminals, materials are under $30 at darvex.com

1 - 20 of 32 Posts