Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, lookin for a few pointers on gettin the diff yoke back in nice and snug. I took a hammer and pounded it out about 3/4" or so to get to the tent leftovers from a freeway incident in a different posting. Now I tried pounding it back in and it doesn't seem to want to go all the way back in, plus I'm leaking oil, so I know it's not fully seated. :duh: Tips, tricks, well wishes?? Much obliged.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_denali
87 Posts
depends on your ability and on the size of your tool box. First off, you will need to pull the yoke right off so you can install a new seal, (it will have been shredded by the tent and no amount of torque will re-seal it) this is easy to do. Now for the really bad news- you shouldn't just replace the seal! I am quite sure the diffs in our TV's are the same design as the one in my old Camaro, this means that to do the job right you will also need to install a new crush sleeve. This sleeve is basically just a piece of pipe with a kink around it that gets compressed, and keeps pressure, in between the back of the pinion gear bearing and the front bearing face. Sometimes if you are very lucky you can fish the sleeve out without removing the bearing race. If you can't sneak it out you will need to remove the bearing race, special tools required. Now, after installing a new crush sleeve and replacing the bearing it is time to install that new seal you bought. This is just a matter of tapping it in with a hammer and something about the same size as the outer seal ring. Next comes your yoke and the REALLY bad news. Those crush sleeves are buggers to crush. If you have a HUGE impact with an equally HUGE air supply it may work, never has for me though. I take the 4-1 (tool that multiplies torque by four) and a second person to get the job done.You want to torque the yoke a little passed the point where all of the side to side movement is out of the pinion.
I have heard of people (wifes uncle) getting away with just torqueing the yoke abit past where it was before removing. This should crush the sleeve slightly more than what it was and may actually work out. But it's a big bill if it doesnt.
If you have never heard of a crush sleeve or know what a bearing race is, or don't have access to odd tools, you may want to pay someone to do this.
If this tent was on a public roadway when it got wrapped up your insurance company may even pay for the proper repair.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,834 Posts
:iagree:
Were you lucky enough to know who lost the tent? If not, do check with your insurance, this is not collison but comp.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys (I think). I was told by another source (not on this board) that I wouldn't have to deal with those. I never even considered playing the insurance card, though. Usually take care of the majority of mechanical stuff myself. Guess we'll see what Auto Zone has in stock.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,834 Posts
Crush sleeve is not listed on the parts list, just shims and spacers. So just pull off the yoke, replace the seal and re-torque the nut.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Decided to bite the bullet and take her into a gear shop that was recommended to me. I'm not a rear-end kinda guy (in any way), and I figure this could be a costly "repair" if I proceed any further. Is there anything else I should be taking care of down there while I've got it in the shop? I've got almost 160K miles on her and haven't even replaced the gear oil :nono: (until now) I'm usually on top of stuff like that. Thanks again for the help guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.