Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about 3 to 4 hours of researching tires and which ones I want, I am still undecided.. I can get a deal on 245/70/16 A/T tires and what I want to know is if there is going to be any noticeable difference in the 2 on the vehicle? I have 235/75/15 ****year ST right now and want them off ASAP.. From my many times going to the tire calculator, it seems that the 235/75 and 245/75 are about a .5" difference and the 245/70 and 245/75 are 1" diffrernce.. Someone tell me what should i do? Take the great deal on the 245/70 or go spend the extra money on the 245/75 tires?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol, I am basically asking if there is any real difference in the 70 and the 75, how will the 245/70/16 look on the TB? I would like to fill the wheel well and not have the tire too small.. I have done a lot of homework but still cant decide on the size..

I thought 245/75 was the largest size? Got any pics of ur 255's?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,121 Posts
Superman..
Would you mind snapping a side shot of your tires along with a closeup of the gap to the upper ball joint?

I need to get tires on my '02 and I'm on stock wheels (16"). Not sure if I want to stick with stock 245 height or run up to the 255's. Either way, I'm going with BFG A/T's...

Thanks!

PS-
If you can post them up here.. please email them to me at rrufast AT gmail DOT com.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
7 Posts
Just for clarification

I wanted to make sure that you understood the numbers on the tire. The first number, 245 in this case, is the width of the tire, not the height. It is the width in millimeters. To convert to inches, divide by 25.4. The second number is the height of the sidewall, called aspect ratio. It is basically a percentage of the width. And of course the last number is the rim size.

I just got a set of Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor in a255/65/17 and I think they do a pretty good job filling up the wheel well. The overall height is right at 30". I was going to get a 245/70/17 but they didn't have them in stock. It would have been about 30.5" and would have been very close to the upper ball joint, although I think it would have cleared.

·
Registered
29 Posts
tire answers??

so from browsing the forum and doing reads..

this is what i found:

with the stock 16" wheels.. we can put any of the following tires on without any modifications at all:

255/75/16
255/70/16
245/70/16
245/75/16

am I accurate? please add more sizes if you are positive they work... but i am looking for tires.. and having more options is best! thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not sure about 255/75/16, that might be pushing it, but I went with 245/75/16 and love them!!!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
162 Posts
Nice choice!

I always thought 245/70-16 was the stock size for that wheel, and just going from 70 series to 75 series adds a full inch of diameter without really compromising the steering knuckle because there is no increase in width. Very nice choice on size and tire.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
9 Posts
245/70/17 (30.6in diameter) fits Envoy w/stock rims

I too wanted wheels to fill the wheel well. I wanted better tires than OEM BFG. I searched Trailvoy site and noted tires that memberes were recommending. I Noted Roadie's max of 30.5 without weel spacers. TireRack.com great for comparing Highway vs M&S.and had a sizing calculator and included for my '03Envoy: OEM 245/70/17 offset 20-40mm. Tires up to 790x285mm (30.6x9.6) 255/65/17 (30.1x10.0), 265/65/70 (30.6x10.4) would all fit. I was also thinking wider would mean possible gas mileage reduction (so would 1 in taller tires which in effect raises the truck 1/2in. I reviewed and compared tires on consumer reports. I used TireRack.com's Tire Survey to generate a list comparing tires available in a few possible size ranges. I used the tire size calculator on 101tires.com. From reviewers' comments I beleive all mfr's have put out unsatisfactory product and most reviewers didn't include enough info about tire size. some sizes may only come as Pmetric (passenger/ less belts/ lower max pressure) softer . vs LT more belts/higher pressure capabilities-firmer. I chose tle B/S Dueler AT REVOS from member rec, Tirerack, Consumer Reports performance ratings, appearance, 245/70/17 availability. Fill the wheel wells much better. Tread comes to within 3/8in on the horizontal from the very bottom of upper ball joint . Have 1k and they definately have firmer sidewalls, better stability, turning etc. The Envoy simply felt better/bigger with these tires. I am planning on getting a tune I will correct the 3+% lower reading (speed actually greater than showing on speedometer)
Hope this may help.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
quick question : If you had a pair of 245 70 R16's as a pair at one end of the vehicle, and a pair of 245 75 R16's at the other end .. could this lead to 4 wheel drive bind ups and or transmission wear ??

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
168 Posts
Thanks for the advice! I'm looking at buying the BF Goodrich 245/75/16 All-Terrain T/A KO2 tire. Appreciate your guys help and expertise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
They have been my favorite tire on all pick-ups and jeeps I've owned.
I'm about to try a set on my Trailblazer.
Don't see why they would not be as good a tire on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts