Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty curious about the difference between the afm/ non afm dod 5.3 v8 engines in the trailvoys?

Which would require less wiring modification in my I6 Bravada?

I'm assuming that the non afm 5.3 will make for an easier swap????

Would the afm motor require much more wiring mods than the non-afm?

??????

All assuming I have all the lines/ mechanical parts and accessories for either choice.....???? :thx

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Honestly I dont think it would really matter man, DOD/AFM engines use existing sensor data the ECM is already monitoring to control AFM. Just make sure if you want to use AFM you use an E40 or E67 V8 wiring harness (aka 05-09) as the LWB V8 harness uses the LS1 PCM which cannot run AFM. This was the reason GM switched to the E40 for 05-06.

You're already going into uncharted territory here bro, just go for the gold and dont look back! Personally I would use a L76 or L92 man.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
dude... If you're going to do ALL THAT WORK for what is in effect, very little gain, you may as well do the exact same amount of work and either put in an SS LS2, or a 'vette LS3, or LS7... If you're going to do all that work and spend all that money, you might as well make something cool, instead of what would be, in effect, a regular 5.3L TV, without the big brakes...

If you do insist on doing a 5.3L, you really might as well find one (5.3L SWB) where the body was totalled, but the frame is fine, and put your whole body on the V8 TB frame... You'll be time and money ahead...

Actually, you'll be time and money ahead by taking your wheels and stereo out of yours, selling it, buying a 5.3L SWB, and putting the aftermarket stuff on that... but we've already tried to convince you to do so, to no avail... so happy hunting, so to speak...

Mike

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mwahahhahahha......Small brakes???

If you say so bro......

Im rollin on custom big brakes all around baybeee......

Why do the 5.3????

Well heres a reason why......The 5.3 came in trailvoys from the factory.....

The 5.3 is still an lsx engine,....Nuff said lsx= gods engine.....

Ok so I can swap in the 5.3, with all the accesories as GM did from the factory......Much easier than retro-fitting any other lsx engine.....

NOw I can always down the road, swap the 5.3 block for a 6.0 LQ4.....

Port n polish the head, port match an ls6 intake......swap the injectors...
Mls head gasket,head bolts,rod bolts plus a lil' ole' gt35 at 10 psi will gross 600 hp.....

"Speaking of which who here has swapped in a different block on their 5.3"s???

Im on ls1 tech....like always......Seen 2 many hybrids to count......I have an lsx powered 240sx.....My olds is jealous,,,,,,

"NEXT"........

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
Mwahahhahahha......Small brakes???

If you say so bro......

Im rollin on custom big brakes all around baybeee......

Why do the 5.3????

Well heres a reason why......The 5.3 came in trailvoys from the factory.....

The 5.3 is still an lsx engine,....Nuff said lsx= gods engine.....

Ok so I can swap in the 5.3, with all the accesories as GM did from the factory......Much easier than retro-fitting any other lsx engine.....

NOw I can always down the road, swap the 5.3 block for a 6.0 LQ4.....

Port n polish the head, port match an ls6 intake......swap the injectors...
Mls head gasket,head bolts,rod bolts plus a lil' ole' gt35 at 10 psi will gross 600 hp.....

"Speaking of which who here has swapped in a different block on their 5.3"s???

Im on ls1 tech....like always......Seen 2 many hybrids to count......I have an lsx powered 240sx.....My olds is jealous,,,,,,

"NEXT"........
I guess all I'm saying is; if it was me, I'd just start with something GOOD, then work on it, rather than hop up a regular engine (5.3L) to make the power that an LS7 would start out with, BEFORE you do anything to it... If I was going to do that much work, I'd put something more rare in it...

Mike

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Have to say man, if you're gonna put the time and $$ into a V8 swap, might as well do something worthwhile. At least stick the LS2 into it as GM did make them from the factory with them (Bravys never got a V8 either though). And dont put an LQ4 or the better LQ9 into it, if you're going to use a 6L V8 make it the LS2. Or go a little crazier and do a LS3, the LS3 block is better than the LS2 block as it can handle more hp...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts