Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got in the car (2004 Trailblazer 4.2 2WD) and when I turned the key, all the lights came on, cluster, radio, and headlights, for about a half second then everything died. When I tried again I only got a dim Service Engine Soon light which shut off after trying to start. When I turn the key off the battery light flickers and a weird noise comes out of the dash.

I checked the battery connections and everything is tight. Battery and alternator are about a year old.

Went back out to try again 20 minutes later and now it doesn't even give me the check engine light. Was running fine a few hours ago. Any help is greatly appreciated. Have a lot to get done this weekend.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
173 Posts
My first thought would be the ignition switch itself. I would also use a flashlight under the hood and check all the grounds. Make sure the tree rats (squirrels) haven't been feasting on the wiring. They cost us about $350 earlier this year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking the possibility of the ignition switch, but all the videos I saw for a bad switch had flickering cluster lights and gauges going haywire, so I wasn't sure. It's a relatively cheap part so maybe I'll just grab one and change it out

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the battery with a multimeter, and when it's unhooked and I check the battery directly, it showed 12.89V and then nothing once reconnected and checking from the terminals.

·
Registered
692 Posts
If I read between the lines of the OP's last statement... I'd say he has the dreaded "Sidepost Battery Overtightened Bolt Syndrome ".

I had the same problem ... the same symptoms.... the same mysterious lights, buzzing and the sound of relays under the dash. I suspect the HVAC system controllers went nuts too ... part of the noises under the dash.

Not getting a voltage reading when the side bolts are in, is another obvious problem.

I truly suspect the battery is the culprit ... it's been destroyed by someone with a 3/8ths drive x 5/16 socket and gorilla torque.

Seen it - customers did it to themselves - came in on tow trucks - replaced the battery in MOST situations - customer satisfied - I sold a battery and 45 minutes labor.

Check it out and diagnose, diagnose, diagnose.

·
Registered
2006 saab 9_7x
2 Posts
My first guess is the battery. Car's circuits are very sensitive to low voltage and will exhibits all sorts of weird symptoms. Especially if the battery is reading zero volts when reconnected.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Sounds like a bad cell in the battery
Uhmmm... I don't think so Al!

What reason would you suspect this is the problem?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts