Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i just finished installing the DIC, got the steering wheel controls working and everything else working and completely finished in just 3.5 hrs! this is the best mod any of us non-DIC people can do. thanks to everyone for help on this one!

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
728 Posts
can you write up an how to ??? this would be great info, im looking to upgrade also ... thnaks

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
there's a right up on here already.. i'll try to find it. but yea the DIC is a great thing.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i know that jman423 was in the process of a "how-to", hopefully he will post the information soon....

if u just search around enough on this forum, you can find everything you will need to complete this mod. just takes some time.

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
5,307 Posts
I have the article layout ready to go, I just need some pictures and some steps to be more detailed.

I am tired of sitting on this article, but there has been a lot going on lately, and I haven't had the time, or the desire, to take it all apart again just to take some pictures, especially the steering wheel and clockspring. That damn clip on the clockspring was almost the end of me :laugh:

I keep encouraging the members that say they are going to do this to take pictures as they do it. I will write up the steps as needed, I just need some pictures. Plus, I don't remember all of the steps, Its been quite a while since I've done this project.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I keep encouraging the members that say they are going to do this to take pictures as they do it.........
yeah i thought about that after i finished it.....i just thought to myself "SON OF A B!TCH!!!!!"

·
Banned
5,307 Posts
yeah i thought about that after i finished it.....i just thought to myself "SON OF A B!TCH!!!!!"
:laugh: Thats always the way.

I started doing mine and I got all caught up in it, then I realized I missed a bunch of steps worth of pictures... :hissy:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You should already have it if you have an LT.... this mod is for the base models that dont have the steering wheels controls and cannot use all of the functions the DIC has.
thats what i thought.... but my mom has an 03 TB as well, an LT tho, and hers doesnt have the DIC or the steering wheel controls, just the base HVAC, Base cluster, and base wheel. kinda weird.

is it really worth its ?? whats the pros and cons?
well the pros in my opinion, are you have the MPG's, that was the main reason i wanted this upgrade. plus you just get some other cool features that comes along.....
:laugh: Thats always the way.

I started doing mine and I got all caught up in it, then I realized I missed a bunch of steps worth of pictures... :hissy:
yea i know what you mean... i even took the camera along so i could take pictures!!!:bonk:

·
Banned
5,307 Posts
You should already have it if you have an LT.... this mod is for the base models that dont have the steering wheels controls and cannot use all of the functions the DIC has.
Not 100% true, not all LT's have the DIC, it all depends if you have the Sun and Sound package. I have pretty much come to the conclusion that you cannot take advantage of the steering wheel controls unless you have the BOSE radio, and that type of upgrade is just not worth it. I would rather spend my money on an aftermarket Navi Radio an get the interface.

thats what i thought.... but my mom has an 03 TB as well, an LT tho, and hers doesnt have the DIC or the steering wheel controls, just the base HVAC, Base cluster, and base wheel. kinda weird.

well the pros in my opinion, are you have the MPG's, that was the main reason i wanted this upgrade. plus you just get some other cool features that comes along.....

yea i know what you mean... i even took the camera along so i could take pictures!!!:bonk:
I had the camera sitting in the cup holder the whole time, the problem was that I was doing it at night in the garage, so the few pics that I did take looked crappy.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well at least we had good intentions.........

so is there anything else i need to do now? i know i need to go to the dealer to get them to program my odometer, but what else do i need to do since it says on the DIC "program cluster"

·
Banned
5,307 Posts
well at least we had good intentions.........

so is there anything else i need to do now? i know i need to go to the dealer to get them to program my odometer, but what else do i need to do since it says on the DIC "program cluster"
That should do it. It should just start working if you did all of the other steps. They will just grab the mileage from your old cluster and transfer it to your new one, and charge you an ungodly amount of money to do it. And they claim to be running out of money :hissy:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That should do it. It should just start working if you did all of the other steps. They will just grab the mileage from your old cluster and transfer it to your new one, and charge you an ungodly amount of money to do it. And they claim to be running out of money :hissy:
yea they told me like $70.00 to do it......and it prolly takes like 2 minutes of extremely hard labor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not 100% true, not all LT's have the DIC, it all depends if you have the Sun and Sound package. I have pretty much come to the conclusion that you cannot take advantage of the steering wheel controls unless you have the BOSE radio, and that type of upgrade is just not worth it. I would rather spend my money on an aftermarket Navi Radio an get the interface.
So, are you saying the dealership can't reporgram the BCM for the audio controls unless you have the BOSE system? I'm trying to figure out if I'd be wasting my time and money taking the truck back to the dealership for them to try to reprogram my BCM...

·
Banned
5,307 Posts
So, are you saying the dealership can't reporgram the BCM for the audio controls unless you have the BOSE system? I'm trying to figure out if I'd be wasting my time and money taking the truck back to the dealership for them to try to reprogram my BCM...
I don't know, thats the problem.

All of the trucks that I have found with DIC have the BOSE system in them. If I am correct, the DIC is part of the premium sound package, which is why the 1SS has the cluster, but not the steering wheel. All of the people that have done it have not had to do anything to the BCM.

The only reason I have a little doubt about what I just said is because the top left button on the steering wheel is supposed to interface with the radio and the OnStar, and I have OnStar, yet none of my buttons do anything. I ran the wires from the schematic to the BCM, installed the pin as needed, and even tested the resistance of ALL of the butons at the BCM, and they are ALL perfect. The DIC works fine, the radio controls do not.

Basicaly, the only two options are that the BCM needs to be programmed, or that the radio control only work on premium systems.

Does anyone have the DIC without the BOSE? If so, what type of radio do you have? CD & MP3?

Also, I know the radio has the CAN BUS, phone numbers dialed on OnStar come up, and the radio has the speed control volume setting, so it does talk to the BCM.

I gave up, I've looked at schematics and diagrams and I haven't been able to get it to work.

The dealers around me won't even entertain the thought of looking into the BCM, I already asked. They maintain that the DIC can't be installed on a vehicle that didn't come from the factory with it. I just laughed in their faces and thanked them for being no help.

If you go to the dealer and they are willing to help you, please let me know what they do.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
9,380 Posts
One of the first DIC additions I saw was on a black TB SS with cloth in MI. To get it to work properly the owner went to Vector and had Chris do some reprogramming to the BCM. Might give Chris White an email and see what he has to add to the equation.

·
Banned
5,307 Posts
One of the first DIC additions I saw was on a black TB SS with cloth in MI. To get it to work properly the owner went to Vector and had Chris do some reprogramming to the BCM. Might give Chris White an email and see what he has to add to the equation.
Thank you for the info.

Getting Chris to answer an email when he did work for Vector was already almost impossible, now that he is not there anymore, I don't see him ever responding to us. I'm sure I know a few people that would have his personal email address, but I'm not sure it would do any good.

I just don't have the money to have the dealer poke and hope while charging me computer fees of 60 minutes at a time for 10 minutes worth of work.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i went to the dealer today to try and get my mileage programmed into my new cluster. the dealer told me this couldnt happen for one of two reasons.
1. my cluster wasnt a GM product (which he was retarded because it is...)
2. the cluster wasnt the original part number that was supposed to be installed (which i told him that i upgraded from non-DIC to DIC)

so i called another dealer and they said they could do it, but i need to install the old one, take it to the dealer, then they need to put the DIC cluster in themselves so they can program it, so they know im not trying to commit mileage fraud.
AHHHHHHHHHHH:mad: why are dealers so retarded!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts