Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if you can help, I have just bought a 2004 Envoy and although really pleased with it (it replaced my dying Blazer!!) the DIC buttons on the steering wheel do not do anything, I assume from the operation manual they are the only access to the systems? Any ideas as to what I might try? Is there a reset, Fuse....I only picked up the car yesterday so early in my troubleshooting but thought somebody may have some ready ideas.

Thanks

Kev:confused::confused:

· Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
They are indeed the only way to access some personalization choices. There is no separate fuse for the buttons - the steering wheel has a wiring coil that brings the switch selections to the instrument panel gauge cluster, and it's the gauge cluster's job to watch the switch inputs and change the display. The switches just ground one of four signal wires. If that wiring coil is dead, I could give you the pinouts of the gauge cluster so you could make your own switch panel instead of replacing the expensive coil.

I assume the DIC display is OK, and shows the mileage or something at the moment?

Do you have any other buttons on the steering wheel, such as for the radio, and do they work?

· Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are indeed the only way to access some personalization choices. There is no separate fuse for the buttons - the steering wheel has a wiring coil that brings the switch selections to the instrument panel gauge cluster, and it's the gauge cluster's job to watch the switch inputs and change the display. The switches just ground one of four signal wires. If that wiring coil is dead, I could give you the pinouts of the gauge cluster so you could make your own switch panel instead of replacing the expensive coil.

I assume the DIC display is OK, and shows the mileage or something at the moment?

Do you have any other buttons on the steering wheel, such as for the radio, and do they work?
DIC display is currently showing Odometer reading, looks like that works Fine. The upper buttons for the radio channel /volume etc are all working. Problem is just the lower DIC related buttons. Could the problem be in the BCM?

· Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
Could the problem be in the BCM?
Possibly. Not clear from the schematic. The gauge cluster has a local memory to keep track of the mileage and so forth. The button wiring harness goes to the cluster, but nothing in the shop manual tells me whether the buttons directly control the display through a local processor, or get turned into data bus messages that go to the BCM. The BCM definitely contains the memory and functions that those DIC buttons control, so it may be involved. Somebody with a scan tool could have fiddled with the BCM programming and accidentally removed the DIC functions. Or swapped the BCM with one from a vehicle that didn't come with DIC.

Do you know much about the maintenance history?

If you have a meter and know how to use it, just poke about in the gauge connector on the back of the module. There's one 24-pin connector. A1-12 and B1-12. Do this with the power on. The signal should be high until you press the button, then it goes to ground. A10, Dk Blue is the trip display. A8, yellow is fuel. A11, orange is the ENTER. A9, Dk green/white stripe is the MENU.

· Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bcm location

Sorry but just starting with this vehicle, where is the BCM situated, cant find it in the manual!! Looking to tset the pin-outs that you listed on the previous reply. Thanks for you help, Kev:(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.