·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 EXT LT Tblazer
4.2L I6
120k miles

Many thanks to this board for help with past problems, coilpack 4 wet/cowl seal issue and seat heater replacement. Maybe someone can help with this problem, which started with a lightning strike 1 foot from the driver’s front bumper of my TB as it was parked overnight a couple of weeks ago. The next morning on the way to work I noticed mud on the hood and the instrument cluster was completely dark, no gages, no warning lights, no DIC. After replacing fuse 24 in the front box (Instrument Panel Cluster, Driver Information Center) the IC came back to life sort of. Since that morning I seem to have a combination of two problems that I have found described on this board but I have been unable to find solutions to either problem in my searching. My problems are:

1) Unknown Driver – DIC displays “Unknown Driver” upon startup but both key fobs work for locking/unlocking and seat/mirror control. Also DIC will not display any of the fuel functions - range, avg fuel econ, instant fuel econ and engine oil life, just dashes when those functions are selected.
2) Instrument cluster is fubar – check gages light lit, abs warning light lit, srs/airbag warning light lit, alt/batt warning light lit, speedo +70mph to actual, gear selector indicator bar not lit, oil gage inop, voltage gage inop, fuel gage inop, temp gage inop, low fuel light lit, no high beam indicator light. This seems to me to be a gage/indicator problem not a systems problem because the abs system is working, charging system is working, high beams working etc.

These problems have been constant since the lightning strike, no fluctuation in inop gages at all. Here’s what I have done so far; pulled and electrically tested every fuse in both boxes, checked OBD codes – none thrown, disconnected battery 30+ minutes, replaced megafuse, reprogrammed both key fobs, checked battery ok by multimeter and load test, replaced ignition switch with new ACDelco unit, replaced PCM with pcmforless unit. I thought the PCM replacement would do it but no change to problems, nice shift points though. My thoughts now are stepper motor replacement/IC electrical connector check for the inop gages and then to take it to the dealership to see what is not communicating on the buss. After further research on this board today I will also check grounding points as indicated in other posts, but tend to discount grounding issues since the gages have not bounced once in several weeks. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,239 Posts
The primary clues here are that all problems started after lightning strike and IC fuse was blown. To me that would suggest that the IC took a hit from the lightning and fried some of the electronics. If you have any buddies with a similar vehicle, maybe they will let you "borrow" their IC for testing.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a follow up - both of my problems, the unknown driver problem and multiple gage problems in the instrument cluster were resolved with the installation of a remanufactured instrument cluster. I hope this helps the next guy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts