Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question, my drivers side outer tierod is showing significant play, so I'm looking for a replacement, now everywere I look lists two different styles, one is a 16mm and one is a 14mm, any idea which one is the correct size to get for my 02??

Thanks!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Where is "everywhere"?

Rockauto.com, which is one of the best places on-line ever, and with the 5% discount codes published in the chat forum is even better, has the proper size listed (except for the Raybestos brand) for your 2002.

Clicking on the part number brings up a list of the vehicles and the years that they fit.

It's also been posted a few times on trailvoy, and OF COURSE, the proper way to determine anything specific to your vehicle in case it's a year-end changeover model that has parts it really shouldn't have in it, is to go out and measure them. Digital calipers are only about $15 at Harbor Freight on sale. You can use them for a lifetime if you bought them. Then 14 versus 16mm would be a trivial question to answer.

Sorry I'm not just going to give you the fish today, though. You should learn how to fish - it's good for your long-term happiness with the vehicle.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where is "everywhere"?

Rockauto.com, which is one of the best places on-line ever, and with the 5% discount codes published in the chat forum is even better, has the proper size listed (except for the Raybestos brand) for your 2002.

Clicking on the part number brings up a list of the vehicles and the years that they fit.

It's also been posted a few times on trailvoy, and OF COURSE, the proper way to determine anything specific to your vehicle in case it's a year-end changeover model that has parts it really shouldn't have in it, is to go out and measure them. Digital calipers are only about $15 at Harbor Freight on sale. You can use them for a lifetime if you bought them. Then 14 versus 16mm would be a trivial question to answer.

Sorry I'm not just going to give you the fish today, though. You should learn how to fish - it's good for your long-term happiness with the vehicle.
I know all about rock auto, they also list both sizes for my 02, 14 and 16 with no indication on what goes to what, I even went to a GM dealership and had the parts guy look it up and not even he told me which one I needed, ever since i started my new job 2 weeks ago ive worked 50+ hours a week, all i asked was a simple question i dont need a hassle

·
Premium Member
9,559 Posts
I know all about rock auto, they also list both sizes for my 02, 14 and 16 with no indication on what goes to what, I even went to a GM dealership and had the parts guy look it up and not even he told me which one I needed, ever since i started my new job 2 weeks ago ive worked 50+ hours a week, all i asked was a simple question i dont need a hassle

I dont see where you are getting hassled. He simply said to measure it.

If it was a mid or end of year rolling change then 1/2 the people here are going to say 14mm and the other 1/2 are going to say 16mm. If Rock Auto or the GM dealer can't give you the answer, seek it out yourself with caliper in hand.

And since you started the thread and it will come up in all searches after this, I hope that you report back your findings so we can attach a "solved" prefix on the thread.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well i have a 50/50 chance so i guess ill just order one and hope its right and if its not then return it and buy the right one

From what ive read the early TBs had the 14mm and then the later models had the "upgraded" 16mm version, and since im a 2002 im assuming im a 14mm

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
Well i have a 50/50 chance so i guess ill just order one and hope its right and if its not then return it and buy the right one

From what ive read the early TBs had the 14mm and then the later models had the "upgraded" 16mm version, and since im a 2002 im assuming im a 14mm
so instead of taking all of 60 secs to measure the thread that is sticking out... gunna order it.. take it all apart and if 50/50 wrong put it all apart and return it and order the correct one and redo it all again...

i'm sorry that just doesnt make any sense... no one can tell u what size u have.. only u can find out... i can tell u, u have a 15 mm for all its worth... and it aint gunna help at all... all it gives u is a chance to come back and say "well someone gave me the wrong info and added extra work and time to the project, when i could have prevented it and found out for sure..."

i work 50 hours a week to, i also go to school full time which is another 30-40 hours a week... but it only take a min or so to go out and look under ur truck to figure it out instead of waiting hours and days for an answer that u can find urself...

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I think the issue is that it's hard to hold up a ruler to a cylinder and get a good measurement without parallax. So folks just give up way too soon.

Most folks don't have digital calipers and don't want to own them. They might get borrowed. :hopeless I can't imagine having a tool kit without them.

But it's soooooo easy to take a piece of cardboard, draw two lines 14mm apart, cut between them with scissors, and make a template to hold up to the part. If the threaded part won't fit in the slot, it's 16mm. If it fits, you found Cinderella and can marry her.

Do they not teach thinking like this as a critical life skill anymore? Must EVERYTHING be answerable on-line? :no:

Surely everybody has, or should have, a mm ruler: (NOTE: THIS IMAGE not to scale - it's entirely dependent on your monitor.)

·
Premium Member
9,559 Posts
14 mm = .5512

16 mm = .6299

9/16" = .5625

If a 9/16" open end wrench will fit over the threads then it is 14mm . If not then it would make sense that it is 16mm

I can not provide anymore info or help than that.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
:duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

Now *I* feel stupid for suggesting the cardboard thing.......... :bonk: :suicide:

We are all carrying a set of almost all the useful sizing templates possible! We just aren't thinking of them as sizing templates. ;)

Because they're cleverly disguised as wrenches!

:duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
76 Posts
14 mm = .5512

16 mm = .6299

9/16" = .5625

If a 9/16" open end wrench will fit over the threads then it is 14mm . If not then it would make sense that it is 16mm

I can not provide anymore info or help than that.
Sorry to bring up an old thread (that I found using that handy "search" feature :raspberry)...

I too am looking for which tie rod end I need for my '02 Envoy... and AutoZone lists both sizes. I'd prefer not to buy a digital caliper if I don't need to... but wouldn't a 14mm wrench or 16mm open end wrench also work?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
790 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread (that I found using that handy "search" feature :raspberry)...

I too am looking for which tie rod end I need for my '02 Envoy... and AutoZone lists both sizes. I'd prefer not to buy a digital caliper if I don't need to... but wouldn't a 14mm wrench or 16mm open end wrench also work?
:dielaugh: One would think so...

·
Premium Member
9,559 Posts
I'd prefer not to buy a digital caliper if I don't need to... but wouldn't a 14mm wrench or 16mm open end wrench also work?
When money allows, having a digital caliper in your toolbox is just a good idea. At some point in time they can come in very useful

Yes, a 14mm and a 16mm would also work. My quick thoughts were bring 1 wrench to the party like a go-no go guage. 1 test and you are done.

And we staff members want to thank you for that. :thx

And BTW, never apologise for doing the right thing. :thumbsup:

I was beginning to thing the darn search button had taken a holiday. :D

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
And some minimal wrench sets only have a 15mm, but that's also a perfect go/no-go gauge. Digital calipers are currently on a coupon sale for $10 at Harbor Freight.

The 14->16mm change was a mid-year 2002 improvement, which is why the parts stores have to list both. GM dealers might be able to tell by VIN, but it's so easy to just measure your own.

You could also take the leap and upgrade to 16mm by swapping the INNER as well as the outer tie rod ends at the same time. Teebes was going to do that, since he was one of the unlucky ones with 14mm, but I forgot to ask if he finished that.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,292 Posts
GM dealer part guy could not tell me With the VIN, Dial caliper cm confused me:mad:.... mine ; 1/02 build date on door sticker.. 9/16 fits over my puny threads.(On the sleeve side) so I think mines 14mm
Thanks Duc?. Brain not work much anymore:drool..:(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.