Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'04 Envoy 4.2 65k mi.

For the past couple of months, I have been getting the erratic tick from the front of the motor. I did some research on this site and found the infamous fan clutch as the likely culprit. The truck ran fine, no problems. Last week, the "check gauges" light comes on and the temp gauge has red lined when idling. Everything cools down when your at cruising speeds. I take it in to have it looked at and mechanic says he ran it and idled all day and found nothing, except that the coolant level was considerably low.

Do I go ahead with fan clutch repalcement and figure that it is about shot? Or is there something else I should look at? I figure on replacing w/pump as well. I'm looking for advice and experience before I go replacing things that don't need replacing.

Thanks.

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
771 Posts
There is a plug on the shroud for the fan, unplug that when you hear the ticking, be careful with your fingers you will need them all if you gonna have to change the fan clutch. :D

You should have it scan to see if any codes are stored. Are you hearing any roaring of the fan and loss of power?
Some have had the software updated and everything worked fine after. You may want to try that first before changing parts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts