Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice warm spring day in the Northeast today (74-degrees) , I was cruising around with the A/C on all day , did a lot of driving today , punched it a few times , at different speeds , heard a noticable ping/knock for a short period , then I guess the knock sensors kicked in , as the pinging went away as I kept my foot in the throttle . I've been using Shell 93 from the same station for the last two months so I don't think it's the gas . I have to do some towing over the summer so I hope this is an isolated incident .

I'll be doing quite a bit of driving tomorrow and will burn up the rest of my fuel , I'll try a different brand and see if it still detonates .

Mods to truck are Vector tune and a K/N filter .

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
STEALTH SS said:
Nice warm spring day in the Northeast today (74-degrees) , I was cruising around with the A/C on all day , did a lot of driving today , punched it a few times , at different speeds , heard a noticable ping/knock for a short period , then I guess the knock sensors kicked in , as the pinging went away as I kept my foot in the throttle . I've been using Shell 93 from the same station for the last two months so I don't think it's the gas . I have to do some towing over the summer so I hope this is an isolated incident .

I'll be doing quite a bit of driving tomorrow and will burn up the rest of my fuel , I'll try a different brand and see if it still detonates .

Mods to truck are Vector tune and a K/N filter .
I am starting to think no matter what all of these trucks will ping every now and then with any aggressive tune..

Chris, did you do beta testing in the warmer climates?? or does it not matter as long as you can see the data and factor in warmer intake air?

·
Registered
2006 chevy
1,966 Posts
TonyGXP said:
Chris, did you do beta testing in the warmer climates?? or does it not matter as long as you can see the data and factor in warmer intake air?
Yup sure did, Cali, Florida and AZ. I've talked to a few of the guys this morning running in hotter climates and none of them reported any Pinging (had to double check). See if it goes away with a fresh tank from another supplier, if not we'll work it out; whatever it takes! Stuff like this is best PM'ed to us first so that I see it, I get the email notifications on my phone and can help you much quicker that way.

Also I never did ask, you got the crank learn done right? That does have a bearing on timing ;)

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
any idea about the blend%'s in the gas on the eastcoast (and more to the point, NY,NJ,PA), maybe that has a bearing on the pinging, some suppliers use different blends, and also the only way to "pretty sure" you get fresh 93, is to buy from a reputable station, that you know is busy (on a major hwy) and you see a tanker, with the company name dropping fuel, and even then your chancing it..

·
Registered
98 Posts
In the northeast you will see alot of blends using ethanol to increase the octane rating to 93 (Sunoco ultra), but I dont think that would negatively effect the fuel and cause detonation. I would not worry about the detonation as long as the folks at Vector have dialed in enough timing retard for the computer to compensate for it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Also, forgot to mention have you cleaned you MAF lately? A dirty MAF will cause detonation. I don't use K&N for that reason. I'd rather sacrifice 2 - 5 hp then keep cleaning my MAF all the time. I just swap out my paper filter each oil change. :m2:

·
Registered
474 Posts
TonyGXP said:
any idea about the blend%'s in the gas on the eastcoast (and more to the point, NY,NJ,PA), maybe that has a bearing on the pinging, some suppliers use different blends, and also the only way to "pretty sure" you get fresh 93, is to buy from a reputable station, that you know is busy (on a major hwy) and you see a tanker, with the company name dropping fuel, and even then your chancing it..
I would never fill up as soon as the station is taking fuel. All of the crap in the bottom of the tanks gets stirred around and could end up in your tank. I waited for about 30 minutes a few weeks ago for that same reason. Just my :m2:

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Blue Beast said:
I would never fill up as soon as the station is taking fuel. All of the crap in the bottom of the tanks gets stirred around and could end up in your tank. I waited for about 30 minutes a few weeks ago for that same reason. Just my :m2:
I didn't mean when it was filling up, I meant that you've seen the "Sunoco" truck at the Sunoco station recently, and as for all the stuff kicking up, that was back in the day, like "change your oil every 3 mos or 3k mi"..my friend has a company that retrofits gas stations (exxon, mobil, sunoco, etc.) I asked him why they haven't done something about that, like 10 yrs ago, and he said they had, about 15 yrs ago, and laughed at me, so it's been OK for more than 25yrs, if I remember correctly there is some kind of valve in the filler neck to the tanks, that eases the turbulance, plus the filters they use nowadays are not going to allow anything to pass through that would create any problems, and then there is the filter in your car..

and about the oil change frquency I read an article in either reader's digest or some other magazine probably 10 or 12 yrs ago that used a couple of brands of oil (like a cheap, Pepboys & Castrol? I think) & Mobil 1 in 10 NYC taxis, they were Caprices with 5.0's and they changed the oils at different intervals, they were 3k, 7.5k, 12k and Mobil1 at 15k and I was amazed to read that at 100k they tore the engines down and found minimal wear, the same wear in the conventional oils even changed at 12k, and Mobil1 changed at 15k had even less wear (as you would figure) than the conventionals at 7.5k, they made mention that the filters would be considered the weak link & there filtration was questionable above 9k? I believe, but still with all that the bearings and every internal part that was inspected was in great shape..And even after reading and believing that article I still change my oil early for no reason:duh: ....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GTPprix said:
Yup sure did, Cali, Florida and AZ. I've talked to a few of the guys this morning running in hotter climates and none of them reported any Pinging (had to double check). See if it goes away with a fresh tank from another supplier, if not we'll work it out; whatever it takes! Stuff like this is best PM'ed to us first so that I see it, I get the email notifications on my phone and can help you much quicker that way.

Also I never did ask, you got the crank learn done right? That does have a bearing on timing ;)
Truck still detonating at certain rpms with different gas , ( Sunoco-93 ) bought from rest area on NJ Turnpike . I'm running my original ecm ( no relearn needed ) . Chris , As I've told you in the past , I hate communicating through pm/e-mails , that's why I gave you my # a few times , I will try to call Kirk tomorrrow , the last few times I tried him I got voice mail . This whole mail order /pm/e-mail deal is not what I'm used to , I like to talk to a person ( face to face ) or at least talk to a person on the phone .

·
Registered
2006 chevy
1,966 Posts
Sorry man! I get about 250 PM's/emails a day and typically respond within 5-10 minutes so thats the best way to get ahold of us. It takes the same effort as posting and sends a message to my phone when they come in for quick response.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
GTPprix said:
Sorry man! I get about 250 PM's/emails a day and typically respond within 5-10 minutes so thats the best way to get ahold of us. It takes the same effort as posting and sends a message to my phone when they come in for quick response.
Yea man, you guys do a good job answering everyones quesitons quickly, I give you 2 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: !!

·
Registered
2006 chevy
538 Posts
Not a knock or a ping in sunny (and recently very warm) South Florida...I'd wait a few tanks before getting too worried....

·
Registered
2006 chevy
349 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I run BP 93 in my truck. I notice it at the top of the RPM band @ WOT. I still have the stock filter in my truck. I was gonna mention it to Chris when I send him my ECM for the CAI.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
1,966 Posts
Hrmm the only issues we've ever seen with these so far is the states that are making the transition from MTBE to Ethanol as the main octane adder and dirty MAF's from K&N oil. Rest assured we'll do whatever it takes to make it right :)

This timing does make sense though with stations transitioning from Winter blends on the old MTBE fuel to the new summer fuel with Ethanol.

Also if you have any questions or concerns please feel free to call me! 586-453-7970

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
As of April 1st, we have the summer 'ethenol' blend here in NJ.....not sure, but I believe PA and NY might also now use the same formula as NJ. (Haven't heard anything about DE). I've noticed Fishhunter hasn't reported any ping/knock issues and he's in DE.

I would have thought that using ethanol would have been a better octane booster.....they use strait ethanol with crazy compression and boost levels for racing IRL cars. Problem is that ethanol doesn't vaporize very well in cold weather, so they still use oxygenated fuel with MTBE during the colder months. Wonder if the ping/knocking will stop with even warmer temps, when the alcohol can vaporize better? Also curious if the I6 tunes from Wester's exhibit the same knocking problems or not with the fuel changeover. (I haven't filled up since last week, so my tank still has the winter blend in it). - Interesting :undecided

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just wanted to thank " Kirk " from Vector for the return phone call last week .:thumbsup: It was good to talk to a human and not a computer . Sent the ecm back for some updates , should have it back this week .

·
Registered
2006 chevy
349 Posts
I tried a tank of Sunoco 94 and a can of Torco, no knock at all. Man, this thing loves good fuel! Runs like a raped ape...

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
10,730 Posts
FYI, those of you getting Ethanol, look for about a 10% +/- drop in fuel economy. I hate ethanol! :mad:

·
Registered
1 Posts
True ethanol or methanol has a high octane rating, but the 10% of the fuel that is alcohol also needs to be double fuel since you burn twice as much alcohol as gasoline. Enrich the tune 5% to compensate for lean detonation in states running the 10% ethanol blend.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts