Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not really sure where to post this so I will try it here.

I live in Portland, Oregon and I have to renew my tags, previously I had a different mailing address listed on my registration and I've never had to pass a DEQ inspection due to the county my mailing address was in.

So this morning I took it to DEQ and I failed! They were two codes, one is P0410 - Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction ---- The other is P0128 with no explanation. :bonk:

I have a 2004 4.2L TB LS 4WD - K&N Intake (Series 77) and Magnaflow exhaust.

We have a code reader here at my work, and I've ran the reader three or four times in the past two years, it always gives me that same air injection code, but I've had the mechanics here look at it and they can't find anything wrong, it seems to be running great...

Can anyone give me any ideas? I can turn the check engine light off with our code reader but it always comes back on usually same day, sometimes it takes two or three days. I just don't want to take this to a mechanic and have him charge me a grip of ca$h to clear out the code...

If needed I guess I could remove the intake and put the original one back on, then check the code reader... But I have to get this done by January and I need christmas money!!

Any help / suggestions are appreciated.

Thank You! :thx

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,733 Posts
Check out OBDIIcodes.com. Scroll down to find your code. Water posibly in pump. 128 is T-Stat. Replace it! There are how-to instructions in the articles or search. Good Luck!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
P0128:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=32326
and many other threads you can find in a search here. What's your temp gauge read when you're warmed up? Right on 210, or lower?

P0410:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=45668
and many others.

If your mechanics are looking at the SAIS and not finding anything wrong, I suspect they have NO IDEA how it's supposed to work, and it can only be properly tested with jumper wires or during the first 20 seconds of a cold start. The problem could be the turbine pump, its power relay, its input or output hoses, the exhaust manifold solenoid valve, a couple of fuses, or the upstream O2 sensor. Read the threads and you'll come up with a plan of attack.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roadie,

Thank you for all of the information, its very much appreciated. Unfortunately I saw all of the posts on the other threads after I had already posted this one.

I also apologize for my lack of thread posting etiquette, I had no idea that posting in bold was considered yelling, I didn't want the font to be to small and only did in an attempt to make it easier to read. My other post was not meant to be redundant, it was something I thought of after the first one. So my bad I guess.

I guess I phrased some of this post wrong, the mechanics here never actually looked at the air pump or anything I just assumed that the error codes were from my intake or my exhaust and thats my fault. No one ever knew that there was an actual problem, I try not to ask the mechanics for much help.

Anyway again sorry for my poor etiquette, your information is very helpful and I hope that the posts from this and the other threads are enough for me to figure out this problem. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
You need to get rid of the P0128 code, and statistically, almost all of those are caused by a slightly stuck open thermostat. You need to get a scan tool on the vehicle that can read the raw coolant temp data. 80 C or 176F is the threshold temp for setting the P0128 code, after the engine is warmed up and driven for a time. If it doesn't get up to 176, you get the code.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I might have figured out why the SES light keeps coming on. Maybe I am wrong maybe not, but RE the diagram you posted that shows the two hoses going from the solenoid to the pump about the P0410 code.

Years ago when I installed the K & N 77 Series Intake there is a hose that plugged into the side of the OEM intake tube, and there is no place to plug it in with the K&N, so what I did was cap it off... and at this point I can't recall at what point the SES light started coming on, because when I installed it I lived in Washington and didn't have access to a code reader.

I did verify with K & N before installing that I had the correct part number once I realized there was no place for that hose to plug in with the new intake.

Anyway my point is, the larger of the two hoses in the diagram is just kind of sets there under the intake and solenoid.

So just today I took that cap off and cleared the codes. I am hoping that maybe it is because that hose had needed to breathe. Do you have any idea what the larger of the two does does?

If that doesn't work i guess what I will do is take my K&N off and reinstall the OEM intake

:confused:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
The hose is the source of filtered air for the entire SAIS system. Capping it when you installed the K&N was risky, especially if you didn't know what it did. And K&N tech support staff were goofs who didn't know the trailvoy systems. Call them now and tell them you figured out their designers were wrong and you want the updated part. They SHOULD have an updated part - it's their mistake.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very interesting, I just looked up the installation in K&N's site, and they have since updated, the new installation instructions say to use a 1'1/4" hole saw and drill a hole in the intake, then cut off the end of the intake hose. Then it looks like it comes with a grommet now to connect the intake hose to the intake itself.

Wow K&N, I wonder why they couldn't just drill a hole in the intake themselves, that seems really weird to me.

God hopefully once I get the grommet and do that it at least fixes problem #1, then its the P0128.

Thanks Roadie

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Talked to K & N this morning.. They have since added the parts needed for the SAIS tube to connect to the intake.

K & N was really nice about it, they are sending the parts to me for free, looks like I got the intake before they realized their was a modification in the 2004 SAIS.

Roadie, or anyone do you happen to know the rough cost of those check valves? The only things I haven't been able to check are working yet are the solenoid and the check valves, and I need to take off those hoses to make sure there is no water in the tubes.

But the pump is definitely working you can hear it wind up when it starts and turns off after 30-40 seconds, and you can feel a vibration in the hoses when you start. First I just need to get it hooked up properly then I can make sure everything is square..

Thanks for all the input! :thx

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
SAIS solenoid check valve 2004-2005: (later ones have a sensor this one does not)

GM # 12575655 List $140, $90 at parts4chevys.com
ACDelco #214-1092 (on compnine.com)

Rock auto lists:
ACDELCO Part # 2142222 {#12575655, 12619128, 2141092} for around $90.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts